• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    What is the procedure for buying a muzzleloader in MD?

Is there simply a minimum age check, or is there a mandatory background check and/or purchase recordation?

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If I am correct a muzzle loading rifle is not regulated. So a ATF 4473 form does not have to be filled out. You have to be 18 yrs. old to purchase.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hand over money/ credit card , recieve muzzleloader .

That said , most retailers have their own store policies.

And min 18yo to purchase Black Powder .

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Keep in mind that this is a freedom that we have to defend vigorously... MGA has tried several times over the last few years to make both black powder guns and antiques regulated the same as modern cartridge guns. No doubt they will try again this session.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Another difference is most box stores at least used to actually let you walk out with it instead of needing the clerk/manager to carry it out and hand it to you outside the door.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Someone in law enforcement opened my eyes to the fact that you can legally conceal carry a black powder pistol,because they arent considered firearms

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Someone in law enforcement opened my eyes to the fact that you can legally conceal carry a black powder pistol,because they arent considered firearms

This has been covered numerous times here, so you might want to be careful taking this advice. I'm no lawyer, and neither are a lot of law enforcers. But all judges are. To paraphrase a previous comment - If you want to take a chance on doing a term and losing your 2A rights forever, at least conceal carry something more effective than a BP pistol.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

BAD, BAD ADVICE! Run away fast.

Absolutely run away fast.

Various "antique gun" loopholes were the obsession of an emotionally disturbed former MDS member "he who shall not be named", now deceased.

Here is one thread in which he argues with a lawyer, who at one point tells him,

Mr. Novus you are a shining example that a little bit of knowledge is a very dangerous thing. You are far more dangerous than any first year law student and that is saying something.
    :

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=27365&highlight=antique+revolver

Just forget about such loopholes, and let the delusional rest in peace.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Back on point: I bought my BP revolver online and had it shipped to my house. All quite legal. BP are not considered firearms. The opposite side of the coin, they are also not eligible for the state pre emption of local regulations. I treat my BP firearms the same as all my regulated firearms when it comes to carry, transport, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , you may *NOT* Conceal a Black Powder/ Antique ! It still falls under the classification of Dangerous Weapon .

Dangerous Weapons may not be carried with intent to ( do bad things , some variation in case law for exact definitions ) . Dangerous Weapons may NOT ever be concealed .

They can be carried with similar parameters as lets say , a rifle or samauri sword . ( Flashback to discussions about LGOC wisdom, take those as starting point , and ratchet up from there .)

And for general enlightenment , different Statutes have different definitions . In certain contexts , Antiques/ replicas are non-firearms . But for Use of Firearm in crime of Violence , various flavors of Assault , etc , they are .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom