• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Little off topic. In Delaware you can open carry no problems right? Is it hard to get that?

It seems a person could have a problem just about anywhere. The numbers would suggest that most folks experience no issues in most places, but I wouldn't say "no problems". It is legal in DE, and to transport a loaded handgun requires that the gun be in plain sight. Some folks have taken to attaching it to the dashboard.

I have never had a problem is either PA or DE. Of course, I guess it also depends on how each individual defines 'problem'. ;)

Not in Dover city limits I believe.

This is my understanding as well.

Delaware Open Carry is a good site for information... http://deloc.org/

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Little off topic. In Delaware you can open carry no problems right? Is it hard to get that?

Not in dover unless you have a ccdw that delaware recognizes. If its in the car it has to be on the dash or visble in plain sight. There are places that dont want you to carry, but generally you can carry anyplace legal to have a gun ( no post offce, schools are a seprate topic but I would not oc at a school)

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Reason i asked the ??? In the OP is i may be moving to Delaware. CC Is my personal method to carry as its less disturbing to the natives.

But, if im hearing y'all right, open carry is lawful with no need for a permit except in restricted areas?

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    DE runs your name and address in the local paper for CCW. That is why many in DE get the FL permit.

Incorrect. To CCW in DE if your a DE resident, you must have a DE permit. You can't have a non-res FL permit to carry in DE if your a DE resident.

Most get the DE permit, which from my understanding is fairly easy to do even though DE is considered "May Issue".

I OC in DE quite often since I work in DE. So I spend most of my time in DE. So might as well take full advantage of the law.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Incorrect. To CCW in DE if your a DE resident, you must have a DE permit. You can't have a non-res FL permit to carry in DE if your a DE resident.

Most get the DE permit, which from my understanding is fairly easy to do even though DE is considered "May Issue".

I OC in DE quite often since I work in DE. So I spend most of my time in DE. So might as well take full advantage of the law.

The main drawback to delaware is the costs probably about $300-$400 for everything to get your ccdw. Like you said you need to have a delaware ccdw if you are a delaware res. I dont think many would get the Delaware license if we could use a florida non-rest. I know I personally would not.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    Reason i asked the ??? In the OP is i may be moving to Delaware. CC Is my personal method to carry as its less disturbing to the natives.

But, if im hearing y'all right, open carry is lawful with no need for a permit except in restricted areas?

Yes open carry is legal in DE without a permit. Dover is off limits unless you have a permit. As someone mentioned, www.deloc.org is a great website for information. All your questions can be answered there. They even have open carry lunchs and meetings.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Just an FYI, if you call DE State Police barracks and/or gun shops on outside carry you have more questions than answers. I also heard can't outside carry in Wilmington as well as Dover and that might not be all. I wouldn't trust the link on outside carry as heard more local regs about outside carry not posted. You see more outside carry during the off season in Sussex Co than during "tourist" season so not to freak out the beach goers from Maryland so we don't have to defend O/S carry laws in Dover.

clarencehenherder

MDS Supporter
    Aug 19, 2013
    Sussex County, Delaware
    Just an FYI, if you call DE State Police barracks and/or gun shops on outside carry you have more questions than answers. I also heard can't outside carry in Wilmington as well as Dover and that might not be all. I wouldn't trust the link on outside carry as heard more local regs about outside carry not posted. You see more outside carry during the off season in Sussex Co than during "tourist" season so not to freak out the beach goers from Maryland so we don't have to defend O/S carry laws in Dover.
    Open carry is only restricted in Dover. That is because they had a law requiring a letter from the chief of police before Delaware banned counties and municipalities from passing gun laws in the 1980s.

Delaware law says you may not carry a CONCEALED deadly weapon "on or about your person" without a license to do so. You certainly can carry a loaded handgun that is NOT concealed in your vehicle or openly on a belt holster.

This is not very common but it is done and certainly is more common now than previously.

You may or may not get some attention from the police in a place like Wilmington, but I have never heard if anyone being arrested for open carry

By the way in a unanimous State Supreme Court ruling in 2014, open carry was held to be a fundamental right in Delaware.

The process for obtaining a Concealed Carry license with the newspaper ad and the character references dates back to about 1911. So don't place the blame on our current politicians. ( although they certainly can be blamed for other things) :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom