• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swollseyba

Jun 28, 2016
    So i purchased a hand gun via buds gun shop and when it arrived to my FFL today, i was informed that it is not on the approved handgun list. I suspect it's because it is a newer design/model.

It never even occurred to me to check (stupid, i know).
    It's a ATI FXH 45.

Blue Fin's is my normal FFL. Jamie told me she would call someone tomorrow to see if it could be added to the list.

I could also TRY and return it to Bud's but i'd rather not do that, and my understanding is they don't have to accept the return anyway.

Anyone have a similar experience? I can't be the only one....right?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    So i purchased a hand gun via buds gun shop and when it arrived to my FFL today, i was informed that it is not on the approved handgun list. I suspect it's because it is a newer design/model.

It's a ATI FXH 45.

Blue Fin's is my normal FFL. Jamie told me she would call someone tomorrow to see if it could be added to the list.

I could also TRY and return it to Bud's but i'd rather not do that, and my understanding is they don't have to accept the return anyway.

I'm sure you're not but, it never happened to me personally.

Unless you're willing to wait awhile, I would suggest to call Bud's, explain the situation and see if they'll let you exchange it for something else that is on the roster. If you have your sights set on a polymer framed 1911, though, I understand.

There are several outstanding polymer framed .45 ACP pistols that are good to go in MD but, my hands-down favorite is the Walther PPQ 45. I have never owned a more accurate pistol chambered in .45 ACP, be it a 1911 or any other configuration.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=211125

If you can find one, prices run in the $550-600 range.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. The ATI looks cool and is very reasonably priced.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It could be months before its approved.

Id go with door #2, exchange.

I see

Model: FX G.I.
    Model Number: ATI-FX-45-GI
    Caliber: 45

Under "American Tactical"

Seems likes maybe its already there. It can be hard to find things.

I also see a number of other ATI FX 45 models, one under "
    Shooters Arm Mnfr (American Tactical)"

If these are functionally equivalent you may be gtg.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It could be months before its approved.

Id go with door #2, exchange.

I see

Model: FX G.I.
    Model Number: ATI-FX-45-GI
    Caliber: 45

Under "American Tactical"

Seems likes maybe its already there. It can be hard to find things.

I also see a number of other ATI FX 45 models, one under "
    Shooters Arm Mnfr (American Tactical)"

If these are functionally equivalent you may be gtg.

Looking at the manufacturer's website, the model you referenced is their steel frame full size GI model 1911. OP bought the polymer frame 1911.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    We had a customer at Scotts Gunsmithing that ordered 2 Wilson 1911s from Wilson and had us handle the transfer. Well, many of their 1911 models were on the list...but the 2 he ordered were not. Well over 7k tied up (they were about 3800 ea). We had to submit them to Pikesville for him. All told, it took probably 3 to 4 months between approval and the new list to come out.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

It's a ATI FXH 45.

I almost did it. I never really was all that interested in an AR pistol, then I got an email from Primary Arms with a good deal on a sweet looking Titanium Blue AR pistol. I made the purchase (luckily on a Sunday night), notified my LGS for the transfer. Stupid part was I checked the RIFLE banned list on MSP, all clear. Totally forgot the handgun approved list though before the purchase. Well, I remembered to check hours afterwards, and it wasn’t on the Roster. Called Primary Arms as soon as they opened the next morning and they were great to deal with to cancel the order. My LGS also was notified that Monday AM. I lucked out I guess. I was mad I did a dumb thing, but grateful that I realized it when I did and was able to correct it in time. So no, you weren’t the only one, and I doubt neither of us will be the last....

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    We had a customer at Scotts Gunsmithing that ordered 2 Wilson 1911s from Wilson and had us handle the transfer. Well, many of their 1911 models were on the list...but the 2 he ordered were not. Well over 7k tied up (they were about 3800 ea). We had to submit them to Pikesville for him. All told, it took probably 3 to 4 months between approval and the new list to come out.

After all the Roster was put in place to protect us from Cheap "Saturday Night Specials".:mad54:

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo

This^^ I'm in a similar situation like this now, either see if they are willing to exchange or send in the sample to MSP and wait although it kind of sucks waiting on a pistol as if it is a NFA item.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    So do all handguns that end up on the list come from folks who purchased them and wait for approval? Do any manufacturers send any in to get "approved"?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm laughing but really should be crying at the idocracy here (on the govt's part). but like sgt23 above said it's surely being done to frustrate gun owners as clearly the govt could just lay out a few things that would make a handgun not allowable in the state vs having to approve or disapprove each and every single model.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Handgun roster needs to be abolished... another 2A bone Hogan could have pitched...

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If you can find a buyer in a different state you could always have your FFL ship it to theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom