• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BWomble

May 3, 2010
    Beaar, DE
    I could'nt tell you any names,I never cared to ask or stick around long enough to care. I tried a few times to go in there and I just could not get past their attitude and never went back.

Sorry to hear that you experience was not so good. I will tell you that you are not the first one that I have heard that from, even when I was working there.

I left there in April of 09.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    X-ring had a pretty good reloading/part supply. they carried alot of stuff. Some was very overpriced and other was average to a little high. Still worth it if u need something imediatley.

Millers is always packed when I go in. They have good prices on some things and high on others. They have always been nice to me, and the big dude seems like a good guy.

I live about 40 min from each of them in MD. Worth it to avoid sales tax and no deal with MD dealers BS. When I get my reloading bench set up, Ill probaly buy some power and primers from Xring to try out loads.

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    Smyrna sporting goods is a nice mom and pop shop although I've never seen a "mom" there. Smaller selection of handguns but can get just about anything. Focus is on deer/duck/goose hunting. As the season gets closer they get more guns in. good place to get used guns.
    Over the years i have bought Savage ml, Marlin 44 mag lever action, encore pistol, used barrels for Remington/Mossberg. They have reloading supplies but mostly for shotgun.
    The main thing I like is I can trade in guns to upgrade or go in a different direction. I recently bought a tc encore ml and traded my Ruger SRH 44 mag. They gave me trade value at almost the original purchase price(which I had bought there).
    I was in the market for a Ruger SR9C and called them after looking at Xring, Millers and the Millers just over the Pa. line. They were $60 cheaper , had one in stock and held it for me until I got there.
    The other thing I like is you never get the arrogant attitude you sometimes get at Millers, xring or especially Target masters.
    More of a down home country store. You might have to wait while one of the locals tells how he got his deer or how the doves were flying or how many geese were in the other field. But that's the price you pay for a good shopping experience.
    One final note-you can pickup and handle just about any shotgun, rifle, lever-action or muzzleloader there. There all in racks with easy access. You cannot say that about any of the other places I have been in in Delaware.(including Shooters Choice in Dover)

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    I've bought three guns from X-Ring since Christmas, they are good folks, can be a little stand offish at first, but can't be to carful anymore.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've bought three guns from X-Ring since Christmas, they are good folks, can be a little stand offish at first, but can't be to carful anymore.

Coming to this conversation late, but in my experience, the X-Ring guys were still "stand offish" (i.e., rude) after I purchased 1 AR, 2 shotguns, and 9 handguns from them. The last time I was in there, one of the grumpy old guys who runs the place raised his voice at me for dry firing a $1,000 used 1911 (to get a feel for the trigger) that I was moments away from purchasing (I had called ahead to reserve it after it went online). Of course, anyone in the industry should know that dry firing will not hurt a 1911... especially doing it once or twice. They wouldn't even let me break it down to inspect the bore... something important on a used gun. At that point, I listed all the guns I had purchased there and told them that they lost a sale and I would not be coming back. :sad20: I doubt they would still be in business if there was any real competition around.

In my experience, Miller's was only slightly better. They were never affirmatively obnoxious to me, but they never had the time to answer my questions. It was always one person trying to help 2-3 people at once. Also, there are unsavory customers in there most of the time (you all have seen the guy who is in the store to buy a "9")... made me feel uncomfortable even though I always carried. Every time I went in there, I had called ahead for inventory, knew what I wanted, and was in and out as fast as possible.

In contrast, I did all my pistol target shooting at Targetmaster right accross the border in PA and can't say enough about the guys in that gun shop. I felt like Norm walking into Cheers. Most of the guys remembered my name and made me feel at home despite the fact that I never purchased a single gun from them (b/c they were out of state)... though I did get a couple safes form them. The guys there even helped for free when I was having trouble with guns.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'll keep it simple, since I'm way up here in the north country, these places have been my regular go to spots. My experience over the years, both looking and buying:

Millers: Mostly old grumpy dicks, (and one younger kinda helpful dude) I've gotten a few pieces there, last one was a particularly miserable buying experience and will be my last.

X-Ring: Helpful, they will get out anything you are even glancing at, no problems, buddy of mine buys a LOT from there. Answer questions and don't try to make you feel like an ******* if you aren't a seasoned vet shooter.

Targetmaster: First rate outfit, massive selection of new and used, PACKED house on Fridays (some impressive female patrons too).

Last edited:

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    In northern delaware x-ring probably has the best products, selection and staff. Millers tends to be more expensvie and does not seem as welcoming.

Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I've passed by Shooters Choice many times as another couple my wife and I know lived in Dover. I always wanted to go in but never got the chance.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I've passed by Shooters Choice many times as another couple my wife and I know lived in Dover. I always wanted to go in but never got the chance.

My Mother in law lives in Dover so I've stopped in Shooters Choice several times while visiting. It's a nice shop with a good selection. The first time my wife and I stopped the folks working the counter there were friendly and eager help, they even gladly spent time showing her 3 or 4 different guns after we told them we were MD residents. I bought a couple hundred worth of supplies and accessories. Prices seem decent to me, but I have a MD perspective.

The only bad thing I could say is that I stopped on black Friday last year and there must have been 50 people in there. I couldn't even get in the door. I guess they must be doing something right.

cls321

Jan 23, 2013
    Bethany Beach, DE
    I've been living down the beach for 5 years now and new to the gun scene. Hopkins Gun Supply is my choice. They have always had time to answer questions and were always patient with me being a noob. I took my CCDW class at JD Defense but I doubt I would ever buy anything from them just cause I could barely stand the cat piss smell in the store.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Over the years (40+), I've dealt with Millers & X-Ring alot; Shooters & Smyrna SG a little bit. I usually know what I want, so if they are crowded, I am abrupt and in/out quickly. If they aren't and I know who's working, I'll pass alittle time. I've never been treated disrespectfully by any of them. If I have questions or have a piece for trade or apraisal, I wait until the person I want to talk with is ready to help me. Sounds like I need to check out Steele's next time I'me down that way.

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    Hopkins is definitely a very nice little shop! Went there a few weeks ago when I went down to shorts marine with my ski. Very friendly people and had a decent selection! Also they had 10/22 mags that I was looking for!

hyghlndr

Jan 13, 2013
    Xring has decent selection and nice staff. Not great but good.

TargetMaster in PA always seems like a hassle and high priced. Two weeks ago $70-75 for a metal ar15 30rd mag.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    I dont know if you call em a dealer but i recently decided to boycott DSG at christiana. My last purchase from them fairly recent.. Box of 12ga shells and they wanted my ID and then began typing in all my info. When i asked why because i used to purchase ammo there all the time with no such incident, the clerk lied anf told me they always do it.. Anyone know anything about policy change?

hyghlndr

Jan 13, 2013
    DSG seem to be changing all of their policies in reaction to all of this mess. They had AR15s in stock in the back but will not sell. Last time I was there they placed ammo in locked plastic boxes to carry to the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom