• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    WOW! The place really has quite a reputation, and that's a shame considering what it could be if those guys would lose the attitudes and at least try to be nice and give good customer service.

I had a very similar experience as many of you seem to have had the first time I went in there - I got yelled at about my cell phone (which I had left in the car) and was generally ignored by the guys there - I guess their conversation was much more important than gaining a new paying customer. :rolleyes:

But, I figured that it could have been a situation where they were just having an off night, so I decided to actually go there to shoot one evening. Same thing.

I live in Glen Burnie so Select Fire is closer, but I'll go out of my way and go to On Target until I get a membership at one of the hunting and fishing clubs in the area. My guess is that their Class III services are the only things keeping them in business.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Now I really want to go to Select Fire and walk in talking on my cell phone just to watch them screw themselves into the ground. When they yell at me, I'll just ask if they could "please be quiet, I'm talking on my cell phone". If I'm in the area I'm going to do it. :evilgrin3

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Now I really want to go to Select Fire and walk in talking on my cell phone just to watch them screw themselves into the ground. When they yell at me, I'll just ask if they could "please be quiet, I'm talking on my cell phone". If I'm in the area I'm going to do it. :evilgrin3
    That would be worth seeing - do you think you could take a friend and video tape it? :D That one dude's head would probably explode if you did that!

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

Take some cell phone pics of them freaking out! That will really set them off. :D

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Anyone want to explain why they freak out about cell phones? I don't live near there and I haven't been in that shop and I don't think I will ever venture to it either.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone want to explain why they freak out about cell phones? I don't live near there and I haven't been in that shop and I don't think I will ever venture to it either.
    I actually asked about that and the answer I was given is because supposedly a cell phone, on or off, can/will trigger their alarm system. According to the rude dude behind the counter, if the alarm system goes off, it automatically summons the police - kind of like a bank alarm - and it costs them a bunch of money to pay for the police services for a false alarm. Supposedly.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So, if their system is soooo sensitive then one could possibly stand outside the store, next to a window and cause the same thing to happen. Unless of course, they have the walls lined with lead and they are using double paned glass windows with microscopic copper mesh in between the panes creating a Faraday cage effect.....

A tactical place like that would of course have such a system.:rolleyes:

Do they carry their own cell phones in the place?

Anyone have access to an iPod Touch?

Johnny Utah

Jul 23, 2008
    Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that most gun shops have poor customer service. Some are much worse then others (see select fire, shot there once...never again) but I have yet to find a shop in Maryland that I would say has a full staff of friendly, helpful people.

The closest, in my opinion, is Continental. Chad, the ladies, and Andy are excellent, but others at the shop have often been cras, and aloof to say the least. Coincidentally or not, Chad and Andy have sold firearms to my friends and I.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I actually asked about that and the answer I was given is because supposedly a cell phone, on or off, can/will trigger their alarm system. According to the rude dude behind the counter, if the alarm system goes off, it automatically summons the police - kind of like a bank alarm - and it costs them a bunch of money to pay for the police services for a false alarm. Supposedly.

No it won't. Unless they have a new one. I should know.;)

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that most gun shops have poor customer service. Some are much worse then others (see select fire, shot there once...never again) but I have yet to find a shop in Maryland that I would say has a full staff of friendly, helpful people.
    I think that as a general rule, the employees of most gun shops take themselves a bit too seriously. I like the folks at "On Target" but even they seem to take the approach to folks coming in there that their general customers don't know anything and are barely smart enough to manage to keep from injuring themselves. I have run into this on a couple of different occasions. While I realize that you can't tell by looking at me that I grew up shooting, reloading and casting bullets, is it really a good thing to assume that I don't know anything? I suppose that their attitude is probably somewhat justified though based on my observations of some of the yo-yos I have seen in the lanes there.

No it won't. Unless they have a new one. I should know.;)
    It could be that they just take issue with the fact that most everyone is frequently either yapping or texting on their cell phones, and the excuse about the security system is in their mind a justifiable reason to bannish them from the premises. When I was told that was the reason, it raise an eyebrow for me because I figured that with as much electronic interference as we have in that area, if the system was really THAT sensitive, it would be going off all of the danged time.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I think just about every gun store I've been to has a sign about cell phones. I think On Target and The Armory does. They ask that they not be used in the store. I figured that it was a security thing... they did not want some theif telling his friends that the coast was clear for a robbery.

But I've been known to be wrong before...

-Boxcab

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I think just about every gun store I've been to has a sign about cell phones. I think On Target and The Armory does. They ask that they not be used in the store. I figured that it was a security thing... they did not want some theif telling his friends that the coast was clear for a robbery.

-Boxcab

I always thought that is was so that you couldn't call someone for a price check.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My thought is to stop a straw purchase. A while back I was in a shop, to remain unnamed, and an individual walked in and was walking around with his Nextel phone cradled in his hand so it was tough to see. I heard that he was talking about various guns and their prices. The store had some customers and the clerks were busy. One of the clerks did notice the guy and I told them what I heard.

-Boxcab

+1

It is a security issue. Phones have cameras as well which can aid in casing the place for a hit.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I was told the cell phones were banned because people would remove their hearing protection to answer the phone. So I think it's an insurance thing.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    That's an interesting perspective and I suppose it could apply. Shops without ranges like a&d and the armory view it as a security against robbery issue.

That is kind of silly though. So a perp walks in to the store, sees it is a good time to hit, walks the 5 steps it takes to exit, and calls his buddies. Am I missing something? That seems to be like thinking that if a store owner puts a "NO GUNS" sign on the door that it will prevent armed robbery. :shrug:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's an interesting perspective and I suppose it could apply. Shops without ranges like a&d and the armory view it as a security against robbery issue.

That may indeed be the thinking, but I'm with DD214 on this one. By the same logic, shouldn't any buisness that's a high value target, (banks, convenience/ liquor stores) also ban them? I'm trying to remember if Dan has a sign, I don't recall seeing one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom