• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    By chance are you referring to NV? You have to qualify with each semi-auto tou want to carry but any revolver if you desire. I don't see any such requirement in MI.

I thought MI had that requirement. It has been a few years since I read their code.

Bnjf

Jan 18, 2009
    I got mine through Florida. It was very easy and can carry in 30 states including Virginia, Penn. North Carolina, ect. Having a Virginia AND Florida gives you the most flexibility. As Florida does not have reciprocity with West Virginia and South Carolina. So with both, you can take a road trip to Florida and carry all the way.:party29:. I'm a business owner of a roofing company and have gotten paid in cash at least four times last month alone. I'll be applying for a permit here shortly. Not expecting much but I thought the fact that I'm working outside only and in some bad areas may help. I guess we'll see. I'm not sure if being a current permit holder in other states would help either. Probably not.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I got mine through Florida. It was very easy and can carry in 30 states including Virginia, Penn. North Carolina, ect. Having a Virginia AND Florida gives you the most flexibility. As Florida does not have reciprocity with West Virginia and South Carolina. So with both, you can take a road trip to Florida and carry all the way.:party29:. I'm a business owner of a roofing company and have gotten paid in cash at least four times last month alone. I'll be applying for a permit here shortly. Not expecting much but I thought the fact that I'm working outside only and in some bad areas may help. I guess we'll see. I'm not sure if being a current permit holder in other states would help either. Probably not.

South Carolina does not recognize non-resident permits, except its own. In order to carry in SC on a license from another state, you must be a resident of the state from which you received the license. Also, a FL permit will work in WV. Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us for more information.

Bnjf

Jan 18, 2009
    South Carolina does not recognize non-resident permits, except its own. In order to carry in SC on a license from another state, you must be a resident of the state from which you received the license. Also, a FL permit will work in WV. Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us for more information.
    That must have changed regarding W.V. Cause I could have sworn the Florida did not work. Thanks for the info

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

Isn't FL's list just an extended version of VA's list? IIRC, You could lose the VA and not lose any coverage.

ETA: In SC, you can carry it in the glove compartment or console without a SC or reciprocal permit.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows,
    unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed
    trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment o
    the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the
    presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or
    proof of insurance;

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I agree with the advice here, you would benefit from reading the Maryland 2A (Second Amendment) threads.

Also check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

Betcha' didn't know, there are three states today that have unrestricted carry.

Arizona is the newest, only time will tell what effect this new law will have on the violent crime rate. But if history is any predictor, the average drop in violent crime has been about 7%.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...29/20100729arizona-concealed-weapons-law.html

Check out this guys book: John Lott, More Guns, Less Crime

search and ye shall find.

There are about 8 people on this board that have permits and they have all at one time or another answered this question several times.

Bottom line - read the application. If it fits you, apply. You will get a permit. Its that simple.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    search and ye shall find.

There are about 8 people on this board that have permits and they have all at one time or another answered this question several times.

Bottom line - read the application. If it fits you, apply. You will get a permit. Its that simple.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You cannot determine if it "fits" you, just by reading the application. In cases of "personal protection" you are at the mercy of what the MDSP evaluator deems as "good and substantial".

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    At least one person in this thread who has said "read the application" has a permit. As for folks playing moderator, well, they're echoing suggestions previously laid out by the mods, of whom there are three for a board of something like 6,000 members. Maryland Shooters has been around for quite a while, and I can promise you there are a ton of posts on this very topic.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Just remember to vote for Ehrlich......... If he holds true to his talk with folks last month from this forum he will change the MDSP qualifications for Personal Protection or Personal Self Defense.... Fingers Crossed

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You cannot determine if it "fits" you, just by reading the application. In cases of "personal protection" you are at the mercy of what the MDSP evaluator deems as "good and substantial".

documented threats are pretty easy to understand. As a matter of fact, I recently ran into a fellow who had applied on that basis and was turned down. He then appealed MSP's decision. It was refreshing to read the letter from the board directing the MSP to issue his permit forthwith.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    What about my wife's stalker ex-boyfriend who now knows where I live and what I drive? He has done some pretty f'ed up things, and has threatened her life... Does that give me a reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom