• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • i have done this. people look at me like i am insane when i say this.
    i have also used an electric wormer

OR you can build yourself an electric worm turner for next to nothing. I've been using mine since I was a kid..You can't buy them because they are unsafe unless you know how to use them correctly.

Basically you take an 2 conductor NON POLARIZED extension cord, cut off the female end, split the plastic between the conductors. Bend one INSULATED end back and tape it off so you cannot come in contact with the bare wire...strip a couple inches off the other conductor and wrap it around a long (10 inch minimum) screwdriver shaft and tape it so the conductor isn't bare...NOW go stick it in the ground (a little damp, like after a rain is best) and THEN plug it in...you can walk around it as long as you have rubber soled shoes on...it's only 1 phase so even if you accidentally touch the thing you get a tingle...but it's not dangerous. You should see worms in less than a minute...if not, turn the plug around ..You can pick them up with your bare hand but I recommend grabbing the screwdriver by its insulated handle and pull it out of the ground or unplug it and pick up your bait.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My late grandfather used to gather worms for bait. He had two metal rods, topped with umbrella handles, that he'd push into the ground 3-4 feet apart. Each rod had a wire soldered to it; the wires were connected to a hand-cranked generator. Turn the crank and they'd come wiggling to the surface. Worked best when the ground was a bit damp.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Brother used to work in a nursery. We'd go and just tilt an unplanted bush in its plastic 'bucket' and get a ton of real wriggly worms from under just a few plants.
    I guess the water and MiracleGro really turned on those worms.
    Pick up a piece of slate from the ground, roll a log in the woods, and you will find bait.
    Use a seine net (need 2 guys) anchor it with 2 sticks, one guy holding in a shallow current, kick up the rocks and stuff upstream and you will get crayfish, helgramites,
    minnow, other larvae, etc...

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    OR you can build yourself an electric worm turner for next to nothing. I've been using mine since I was a kid..You can't buy them because they are unsafe unless you know how to use them correctly.

Basically you take an 2 conductor NON POLARIZED extension cord, cut off the female end, split the plastic between the conductors. Bend one INSULATED end back and tape it off so you cannot come in contact with the bare wire...strip a couple inches off the other conductor and wrap it around a long (10 inch minimum) screwdriver shaft and tape it so the conductor isn't bare...NOW go stick it in the ground (a little damp, like after a rain is best) and THEN plug it in...you can walk around it as long as you have rubber soled shoes on...it's only 1 phase so even if you accidentally touch the thing you get a tingle...but it's not dangerous. You should see worms in less than a minute...if not, turn the plug around ..You can pick them up with your bare hand but I recommend grabbing the screwdriver by its insulated handle and pull it out of the ground or unplug it and pick up your bait.

This works great, but the worms don't live as long. Didn't know others even know about this.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

Will that sucker kill moles? If so, I’d like to go 220v on ‘dem for additional killability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom