• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I am finally getting that guide boat after test rowing one years ago in St. Michaels at the small craft festival. I have used canoes and kayaks for years, but these guide boats are very fast row boats and even more stable in open water. But I am looking forward to doing some fishing with my son, maybe go for rockfish next year. It's a 15 foot boat and really quite good just for taking someone out on the water.

i'd like to hear from anyone else who like to row or paddle small boats!

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I am finally getting that guide boat after test rowing one years ago in St. Michaels at the small craft festival. I have used canoes and kayaks for years, but these guide boats are very fast row boats and even more stable in open water. But I am looking forward to doing some fishing with my son, maybe go for rockfish next year. It's a 15 foot boat and really quite good just for taking someone out on the water.

i'd like to hear from anyone else who like to row or paddle small boats!

They're great boats both for rowing and very stable for working/recreation. I built a smaller, similar boat and it rows like a dream.

It's a great choice for light crabbing/fishing and to get some exercise too.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Perhaps you can explain to those of us not familiar with the category - what exactly are the distinguishing characteristics of a guide boat?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Perhaps you can explain to those of us not familiar with the category - what exactly are the distinguishing characteristics of a guide boat?

Basically they are flat water canoes that you row with oars from the center of the boat instead of paddling from each end. They have a wide beam, making them very stable. Popular in the northeast.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    ... I just want to try and catch some stripers on the bay...

Not as pretty as a guideboat, but for consideration is a classic oared boat for fishing like a dory:

2065177c90822670b45795e434d00879.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not as pretty as a guideboat, but for consideration is a classic oared boat for fishing like a dory:

2065177c90822670b45795e434d00879.jpg

In the last scene of "Captains Courageous"(1937), I've often wondered if that was the beginning of dories being used out west for flyfishing the big western rivers. Obviously, the movie is fiction...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I’ve ran into this guy twice this year at Rocky Gorge. I’m sure he’d let you demo one.

https://www.gottarow.com

Attachments

• 269B7FC8-7F93-43EE-B842-302CD8CBD9A8.jpg
      269B7FC8-7F93-43EE-B842-302CD8CBD9A8.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 108

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Every time I see the title of this thread come up, my mind goes here...

Attachments

• Fan Boat.jpg
      Fan Boat.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom