• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Read this thread, sounds like bps employees have their egos over inflated by a small bastion of control.

My last and only firearms purchase from them was in 04 for my beretta goose shotgun.

A buddy bought his goose gun probably 5 years ago, same beretta just newest version ($1500). Store employee approached, asked him what he wanted, with attitude, asked to hold the beretta, got asked if he was 21... was 23 and it was a shotgun (18). Then after holding it for 10 seconds said, okay, I'll buy it. Employees attitude changes and became friendly.

I would personally hate working behind that gun counter, bps rules, person after person who only wants to fondle and talk about guns without the ability to purchase.

Gunbroker and local ffls is how I buy my guns. It's so much easier than any big box store.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Gunbroker and local ffls is how I buy my guns. It's so much easier than any big box store.

Amen.

Although I have had a couple of positive experiences at gander mountain down here. No purchases as I think they're overpriced. But a buddy bout an m&p shield and the staff was very attentive and helpful.

One time I popped in just to browse after selling a pistol privately in the parking lot. The counter guy in the gun section turned out to be a PRMD escapee, circa 1983. I could still recognize his accent too. Nice guy, we chatted for about 15mins.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    We shouldn't forget that there are LGS's where one can find the same experience we've seen here. Every GS should strive for excellence.

That being said, I've never purchased from a firearm from BPS/GM/Walmart and probably never would. I would not hesitate to buy another from Cabela's though.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We shouldn't forget that there are LGS's where one can find the same experience we've seen here. Every GS should strive for excellence.

That being said, I've never purchased from a firearm from BPS/GM/Walmart and probably never would. I would not hesitate to buy another from Cabela's though.

Do you realize that Bass Pro just bought Cabela's?

ForEnglandJames

Nov 3, 2016
    Reisterstown
    The first gun I ever bought was at Dicks. It was EXACTLY as you describe. They walked me out and everything. My wife hates guns so I asked the lady walking me out if she would also protect me from my wife.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Doubt that means cabelas will instantly become the shopping experience that BPS is.

I suspect you're right. What I think the transition will resemble is slowly boiling the frog.

BPS is what it is because of senior and middle management. Cabela's will slowly morph into BPS as BPS management comes up with one brilliant cost-saving idea after another.
    At some point I assume the Cabala's signs will be replaced with BPS signs.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Do you realize that Bass Pro just bought Cabela's?

I suspect you're right. What I think the transition will resemble is slowly boiling the frog.

BPS is what it is because of senior and middle management. Cabela's will slowly morph into BPS as BPS management comes up with one brilliant cost-saving idea after another.
    At some point I assume the Cabala's signs will be replaced with BPS signs.

Absolutely.

You do need to know that the family that owned Cabela's wanted to cash out. Someone was going to buy them, BPS had no choice but to do it.

You may see just the opposite happen. I could see Cabela's management taking over, and BPS keeping their Marketing dept. BPS knew Cabela's was doing it right.

The same thing happened in the car business. Reynolds and Reynolds (ownership wanted out) was bought by UCS, a much smaller crap company. Just about everything R&R stayed, including the name.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I would personally hate working behind that gun counter, bps rules, person after person who only wants to fondle and talk about guns without the ability to purchase.

I can't imagine anyone picking a number and waiting two hours just to "fondle and talk about guns without the ability to purchase" ... but I hope it's true. :D

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Absolutely.

You do need to know that the family that owned Cabela's wanted to cash out. Someone was going to buy them, BPS had no choice but to do it.

You may see just the opposite happen. I could see Cabela's management taking over, and BPS keeping their Marketing dept. BPS knew Cabela's was doing it right.

The same thing happened in the car business. Reynolds and Reynolds (ownership wanted out) was bought by UCS, a much smaller crap company. Just about everything R&R stayed, including the name.
    Not necessarily true that the family wanted to cash out. It came out about a year ago that an "activist" firm had purchased a large amount of share in Cabelas, a public company. They began pressuring the company to sell off the brand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Absolutely.

Cabela's was publicly traded, so the family already cashed out way before the sale to BPS. The family retained 25% of the stock, but lost its controlling interest in Cabela's. This is akin to Jack Kent Cooke putting the Redskins in a trust for his son John Cooke. The trustees had a duty to maximize trust assets, so they sold the Redskins to Snyder. Likewise, the board of directors of Cabelas had a duty to maximize profits and return of investment to the owners of Cabelas stock. Hence, Cabela's was sold to BPS for $5.5 billion. It breaks my heart, but that is how life goes.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I can't imagine anyone picking a number and waiting two hours just to "fondle and talk about guns without the ability to purchase" ... but I hope it's true. :D

Or the intention. I've seen more than a few folks take up (waste) a lot of the salesperson's time fondling guns, only to walk way and say, "Thanks, I just wanted to look at it." Just part of the big box retail experience.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    So what he's saying is he should be stocking his wall with the cheap stuff from Walmart as well. :D

I do believe him, if that's what you're getting at. I asked him if the "big box" guns were of lesser quality, and he said he'd looked over quite a few and that didn't seem to be the case. He said an 870 or Mossy 500, or 10/22 seemed the same about everywhere, and he couldn't see them having two production lines for those things. When you want anything outside of the vanilla, he's going to be way ahead.

When my son was about two (ok, I jumped the gun a little) I thought a Rossi "matched pair" in .22 and 20 gauge would be a good thing to have. Dick's, Walmart, etc had these for cheap in .22 and .410. Since I can't hit much with a .410, I wanted a 20 gauge barrel. My local guy could get them all for the same price. More than the box stores were selling the more common model for, but significantly less than those box stores that would even consider a special order would sell it for. That was a kitchen table FFL in MD, but my (stocking dealer, with decent volume) local guy here tells me the same.

I spend enough that he doesn't mind sending me elsewhere when it'll help me out. Several years ago I really needed a Ruger SR-1911. He told me he could get a few, but he was going to sell them for a lot of $ on gunbroker until then initial demand was satisfied. He asked me how many 1911s I already had, and couldn't I wait a few months? Yes, my dealer, not my wife. I can't imagine a big box guy telling me anything other than "you need it now", "it's my last one and I just had two calls on it", or " you know this is going to be banned next week".

Or the intention. I've seen more than a few folks take up (waste) a lot of the salesperson's time fondling guns, only to walk way and say, "Thanks, I just wanted to look at it." Just part of the big box retail experience.

That's just sales in general.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.

That may be true but, from what I understand, BPS employees are not paid commission so what's the harm in "fondling"? After all, I've read more than a few posts here that suggested fondling at Big Box and purchasing from your local gun shop. Besides, these aren't "salespeople". Not once did my "salesperson" try to actually sell me the gun. In fact, he didn't engage in any conversation. He simply handed me the gun and stood there, waiting for me to hand it back. Maybe he assumed I was just there to "fondle" and waste his time. I don't know. But they're paid the help customers and I can't honestly say they were very "helpful".

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The problem with extended fingerphucks is there are people waiting in line to actually buy the guns. Scopes too.

And the time to fingerbang a firearm is when there aren't fifteen other people with take-a-numbers.

I like BP, but they need to put a SOGOTP time limit on the Lunchtime Johnny time wasters.

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    Yeah, after what they've done over the past couple of years I know I regard them as a fishing tackle shop, so the name fits finally I guess.

I don`t even buy fishing tackle from them,I stock up at the flee markets at this time of the year or the local tackle shops.

Eng

CCW UT
    Jan 11, 2017
    Scaggsville, Ocean City
    Wow, good info. Only buy ammo if it avail there. But can skip the whole arundel mills scene, generally not a very safe place.

I usually hit Gander Mtn in Salisbury when passing through. Anyone have experience with them on firearms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom