• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Explain what I am seeing that looks like a copper colored crayon in the pics?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    End result of a .30 caliber projectile after being "extruded" through a .223 chamber/barrel.

AKA Very Bad Day

OK, thanks, but the proportions seem off to me. Could it be more then one projectile in that pile up? There are two cases.

Edit: This pic puts it in perspective for me.... I see it now! :innocent0

Attachments

• 300 vs 223.jpg
      300 vs 223.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 297
    Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Moral of the story: Store your ammo in the proper container. Never mix blanks with live ammo. Always check what you are loading into a magazine. Only load the weapons with the proper ammo.

Nice list! Adding to it is to be sure you keep ammo away from your bench when doing anything with a gun. Also, be sure each and every one of those snap caps really are snap caps when you're loading a mag or gun to do function checks at the bench!

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I was on a range in Montana checking zeros before an elk hunt. Two other guys were there and wound up mixing up .300WM and .338WM. The guy was having trouble chambering the cartridge, I told him to stop because something was wrong. Thank goodness he listened.
    My buddy and I shot and went to camp. Later the Guide told us about the mix-up. Seem like one guy reloaded both calibers and scooped them off the reloading bench and mixed them up when putting the cartridges in the boxes.

Good luck

Jerry

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .223 in an AK 74....... Had it actually struck the primer, I might not be here today.

Why?

Smaller in a larger chamber is not a huge deal.

Shoving too big in a smaller chamber can be a HUGE deal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My son in law borrowed my Sig229 40 and loaded it with 9mm Mostly jam issues before i found out what he did , thank goodness no one was hurt.

How would they be hurt?

Several people on this thread have mentioned firing or trying to fire small rounds without any problems. Even with the rounds fired.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    How would they be hurt?

Several people on this thread have mentioned firing or trying to fire small rounds without any problems. Even with the rounds fired.

The problem is the case is unsupported and could possibly rupture.

Another problem is putting 3" shotgun shells in a shorter chamber, it causes a big pressure increase when the lead and wads have to be forced past the crimp which is now in the barrel instead of in the chamber where it has space to get out of the way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is the case is unsupported and could possibly rupture.

It does rupture. At a fairly low pressure, and the rest of the powder burn goes Pffft.

9 in a 40 or 40 in a 45 is not a big deal. Not to do it on purpose, but if it happens, you can't reload the case is the big thing. :)

Bigger (3" is bigger than .275") is ALWAYS a big deal.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The P-64 is chambered for 9x18mm Makarov but will safely chamber and fire .380 rounds. I have read that this was done by design so it could fire captured allied ammunition if necessary. I do not own anything in .380 so mixing up the rounds is not an issue.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    How would they be hurt?

I don't think it matters. One shouldn't become complacent. One should always check the rounds being loaded and fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom