Register handgun in MD purchased out of state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Generic_human

Lurker
    Jun 20, 2011
    Maryland
    I have heard some conflicting info regarding this, and I want to make sure I am following the law-

While stationed in TX I bought a handgun (XD45). Do I need to register it to have it in MD? I maintained my MD residency status the entire time while in TX. Any considerations if I decide to sell the gun in MD later?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wouldn't bother, since you were stationed in Tx, you were considered a Tx resident even though your primary residence was/is Md, that made you exempt from those pesky laws that bite us civvy's in the ass regarding handgun sales. It's already been covered in another thread, which one escapes me at the moment.

Short answer, your g2g, have fun with it and try not to rub it in. Why would you ever sell it, don't do that..., it needs companions..., if anything buy more guns... :D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have heard some conflicting info regarding this, and I want to make sure I am following the law-

While stationed in TX I bought a handgun (XD45). Do I need to register it to have it in MD? I maintained my MD residency status the entire time while in TX. Any considerations if I decide to sell the gun in MD later?

Nope, no registration.

If you sell the gun in MD, you must either transfer it through an FFL authorized to transfer regulated weapons in MD or you have to arrange it with the state police.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009

No MD does not have handgun registration.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Why is that even worth mentioning? Who in their right mind would even consider that.

To properly educate someone about the confusing MD laws. I'm not going to tell someone what to do without telling them why. I think a lot of the confusion about MD firearm laws comes from people using "because I said so" as a reason for doing something and not actually explaining.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    My understanding is this: Maryland does not register handguns. Maryland records the transfer of handguns bought and sold in Maryland. Therefore, you have nothing to register.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Maryland State Police Firearms Registration Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am moving here from out of state and own a firearm, am I required to register the firearm? (Note: If the firearm is an assault pistol it cannot be transported into Maryland)

A: If the firearm has been obtained legally, you are not required to register the firearm; however, you can voluntarily register the firearm with the Maryland State Police.

ED: If the firearm has not been obtained legally, you are still not required to register the firearm; Article V of the Bill of Rights (Fifth Amendment) - you can't be required to incriminate yourself.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    ED: If the firearm has not been obtained legally, you are still not required to register the firearm; Article V of the Bill of Rights (Fifth Amendment) - you can't be required to incriminate yourself.

Priceless!!! :lol2:

IrishWhiskey

Nov 28, 2012
    Update for new law???

I thought it time to resurrect this post. I am facing the following issue:

I have a Soldier being stationed in Maryland, coming from TX. She is a TX resident who purchased a handgun (Glock 26) while in TX. She wants to bring the pistol with her to MD. Will she need to register the weapon? I've yet to find, written in legislation that I can print as a reference (ie the actual PS article), that Active Duty Military does not have to register. I've only found items stating they don't have to apply for a license.

Do any of you have the reference clarifying this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only need to register if she is intending on becoming an MD resident.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    Can you cite the regulation stipulating that?

It's in the new senate bill 281 enacted after 10/01/13…….
    If you are an out of state resident moving into Maryland as a permanent resident after 10/01/13 you are required to register all regulated firearms that you own.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    90 days is in the statute, not what MSP says.

[FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5–143.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) (1) A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]E WITH THE INTENT OF[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]B[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ECRETARY WITHIN [/FONT][FONT=&quot] 90 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013

[/FONT][/B][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/QUOTE

Does it matter who requires it the statute, or the agency that enforces the statue? He gets the point……….

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yeah it does matter. It's the law, not some whim of MSP, who is known to reverse themselves on firearms issues. Facts matter.

Statutes cannot be changed on a whim. Unless you're Obama.

MSP is the agency that said HQL's weren't needed to pickup a pre purchased Oct 1 firearm while the AG said you did.

Does it matter? Yes it does.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

[/FONT][/B][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

The bigger question is weather or not a military duty assignment is considered " intention to become a resident". If she is returning home after an assignment in Texas that would be a different animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom