• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Hey guys, new member, long time lurker. I am starting my first "civilian" AR build. After cannibalizing every SCAR, XCR, M4, HK 416 in the armory to make Frankenstein weapons, I figure it's time to make a private sector one for home plinking.

I ordered a Spikes Tactical lower, MAGPUL MIAD, CTR, XTM rail panels and P mags all in FDE. DPMS parts kit.

As for an upper, I was hoping to hear from you guys. I kinda like this setup:
    http://ee.ar15.com/ItemView.aspx?iid=42010 since it already comes with a rail system and isn't much more than some of the base model Stags/Delton or similar.

I like the EOTech optics since it's what I used for so long, too bad they aren't cheap :(

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Hey guys, new member, long time lurker. I am starting my first "civilian" AR build. After cannibalizing every SCAR, XCR, M4, HK 416 in the armory to make Frankenstein weapons, I figure it's time to make a private sector one for home plinking.

I ordered a Spikes Tactical lower, MAGPUL MIAD, CTR, XTM rail panels and P mags all in FDE. DPMS parts kit.

As for an upper, I was hoping to hear from you guys. I kinda like this setup:
    http://ee.ar15.com/ItemView.aspx?iid=42010 since it already comes with a rail system and isn't much more than some of the base model Stags/Delton or similar.

I like the EOTech optics since it's what I used for so long, too bad they aren't cheap :(

...couple extra bucks.... http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product459.html
    i just like the diamond fluting and think this rig looks purty. your choice for upper seems pretty nice too.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    I do like that diamond fluting, and adding the flip up sights to the upper that I linked would make it around the same price. Good find, Smokey. Thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    ...couple extra bucks.... http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product459.html
    i just like the diamond fluting and think this rig looks purty. your choice for upper seems pretty nice too.

Thats a good price but just to clarify thats a midlength rail on that one. The one I just did is a rifle length rail (12"), the midlength is nice just too short to get a full extension while shooting.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I gotta express a whole lot of appreciation as I've never thought I'd ever really care to upgrade my AR. I got it used last year, an old range rental, and got sick of very little accuracy at the range. This thread helped my upgrade. After ordering a Delton barrel, I ended up acquiring the YHM Specter Free Float, YHM Specter Gas Block, YHM flash suppressor, rail mounted MI sights, and an MI rail mounted sling swivel. Got it all put together quickly with just an armorer's tool. I added my EOTech XPS2, rail mounted light and laser and forearm grip. I'm going to be upgrading the grip and replace the rear receiver plate with one that has a quick-detach sling swivel. Now, to replace that Tapco or not... Hmmm...

Before... and after...

Attachments

• ARBeforeAfter1.jpg
      ARBeforeAfter1.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 723

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I gotta express a whole lot of appreciation as I've never thought I'd ever really care to upgrade my AR. I got it used last year, an old range rental, and got sick of very little accuracy at the range. This thread helped my upgrade. After ordering a Delton barrel, I ended up acquiring the YHM Specter Free Float, YHM Specter Gas Block, YHM flash suppressor, rail mounted MI sights, and an MI rail mounted sling swivel. Got it all put together quickly with just an armorer's tool. I added my EOTech XPS2, rail mounted light and laser and forearm grip. I'm going to be upgrading the grip and replace the rear receiver plate with one that has a quick-detach sling swivel. Now, to replace that Tapco or not... Hmmm...

Before... and after...

SWEET when you heading to the range?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If I can start work early, I might leave early and head up there tomorrow. Sunet's at 4:45, so 3:45 they will shut down. Hmm, I really got to get up there around 2 to sight everything in. Don't know if I can pull that off, or might have to wait til Sunday.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Placed my order for my Spikes lower and all parts last night. Everything I ordered was in stock so I should have it pretty soon. (After FFL transfer and 7 day waiting period of course)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just paid my moneys for an Aero Precision lower from Keep Shooting... API makes the Spike's lowers for them, last I checked, so I guess we're all about to have some good times.

I suppose I'll wind up buying the LPK from RRA, and getting a 2-stage trigger plus the Hogue grip. What should I do for a stock? I'm leaning towards a Magpul MOE, but is there a better value six-position adjustable stock? (Also, semi-related note, the Magpul UBR looks insane!)

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    The Magpul MOE is a great bang for your buck stock depending on what you are being charged for the buffer, spring, tube etc.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Has anyone here ever used Primary Arms optics? My buddy has one on his plinking rifle and I was comparing it to my M68 (Aimpoint Comp M2). It was actually pretty good quality for the price. The glass was very quality on it. I might get one for this build since I don't need it for duty and I'm not going to be dropping it or running it into things.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No idea, but do let us know if your research on it seems definitive. My current plan for the optics is to go with a red-dot plus discrete magnifier on cantilever mount, maybe with the magnifier on a flip-to-side mount. Of course, if pricing gets out of control, I may just use a quick detach.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Has anyone here ever used Primary Arms optics? My buddy has one on his plinking rifle and I was comparing it to my M68 (Aimpoint Comp M2). It was actually pretty good quality for the price. The glass was very quality on it. I might get one for this build since I don't need it for duty and I'm not going to be dropping it or running it into things.

They have a good rep on Ar15.com as does the Vortex Strikefire. I have a Strikefire and love it, especially the green dot option and the auto turn off mode. It also comes with a high mount that full witnesses with standard sights.

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    About to start down the path of AR enlightenment...

Does anyone have word on the DSA rifles? Quality? Reliability?

How are the "pop-up" sights attached, are they secured with a locking lever or screw tension. Don't want to risk stripping them out or having them come off in a bad situation.

Ranges out to 300m minute-of-paper plate, 16" or 20" barrel?

Heavy or standard barrel, which do you like?

I'm in information overload purgatory right now. :whack:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Rail covers....i swapped the utg rail covers that came with my old utg quadrail to my mid-length yhm diamond freefloat tube. it's still kind've big up front for me(shutup k31). what are some good low-profile rail covers for a mid-length. i looked at ladder rail covers but mostly just found carbine length. i'd have to buy two sets and cut one to length. so here are the questions i'd like assistance with.

1) How important are rail covers in the first place?
    2) what are some good low-profile soultions?
    3) what do you think of ladder rail covers?

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    1) Rail covers/ladders are important to me because they offer a better grip and rails are sharp.
    2) I have ladders on mine, they are easy to cut to fit and provide a good grip.
    3) I like mine more than I like rail covers. You can get them from Spikes for a cheaper alternative to Magpul considering you have a mid length and have to buy double.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    I actually use a combination of ladder covers and rail covers on all my rifles. I never leave any of my rails uncovered. I have several pics of what my set ups look like in my album. Just follow the link and you can get a look at how I'm set up.

As far as functionality - yes, rail protection is very important. Rails can get nicked up pretty good during a carbine course or a competition. It's important that your rails be in spec and true so that mounting accessories and optics clamp on the same way, every time. Rail covers take care of this.

Not to mention - if you ever scrape some skin off on one of your rails, you'll put rail covers on pretty darned quick to make sure it doesn't happen again.

:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom