• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Update:

Received my M1 Garand on Friday, 2 1/2 weeks, from paperwork being sent. Received FedEx notification and was able to adjust the delivery for a nominal fee. Rifle looks good, and the stock has some "character" marks. Looking forward to shooting it.

Been reading about upgrading the gas plug for using wider variety of 30-06 ammo. Does this allow usage of the heavier bullets for hunting?

Q

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Update:

Received my M1 Garand on Friday, 2 1/2 weeks, from paperwork being sent. Received FedEx notification and was able to adjust the delivery for a nominal fee. Rifle looks good, and the stock has some "character" marks. Looking forward to shooting it.

Been reading about upgrading the gas plug for using wider variety of 30-06 ammo. Does this allow usage of the heavier bullets for hunting?

Q

From all that I’ve read, yes. In Range on YouTube did a nice test of both stock and vented gas plug with Garand ammo, a 180gr buffalo bore loading and Hornady magnum loading. With regular gas plug operating rod velocities were something like 40-70% faster than with regular Garand ammo. With the vented gas plug they were roughly in line with what Garand ammo did with a regular gas plug

Downside is you’ve got a lot of “muzzle” blast from the gas cap venting. No worse than you get from something like a 16” barreled .308, but obviously a ton more than you get with a Garand normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom