• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    looking for some education here. Why are the scar rifles so much more expensive? I am looking to understand why one would rather spend 2 times the amount of money an ar-15 that is well equipped costs or even 4 times what a base model ar-15 costs?

Are scar rifles superior?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The scar is more exciting to shoot, because you're always slightly at risk of dinging up your thumb.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had a scar for about a month. Took it to the range once and then traded it. I liked it but they are not really worth the money. The folding stock was the best part.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I too owned one. The 17s. Probably the smoothest and lightest recoiling 308 I ever shot (and the loudest). It is an innovative platform, but just couldn’t justify the cost to own in my collection.

If you do purchase one, I recommend you budget in $2-300 for a Geissele Super Scar trigger. Just like the Tavor, stock trigger wasn’t all that great IMO. It’s a battle trigger.

Logan Betterton

May 14, 2015
    Eastern Shore MD
    The Scar is it's own platform; different than the standard using some proprietary components. Although the calibers might be the same as an AR, this is a gun most own in addition to an AR (versus choosing one over the other). They might look heavy at glance, however their 7.62 only weighs 8lbs. That's pretty lightweight compared to whats out there in 7.62. I've shot both the 16 and 17 and they are soft shooting rifles (most noticeably the 7.62). It's hard to really say why the price is where is, as there is really nothing to compare to being it's own platform.
    This is also one of those guns that people "briefly" owned when discussing. I'm not sure why, but both of my friends who owned one were very excited to acquire them but sold them shortly after. Not sure why but that seems to be a trend.

FWIW they are not going to be as modular as an AR, but very few things are anyway.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    At the time I was shopping for a .308 rifle I was considering the LWRC REPR and the FN SCAR.
    I got wind of some opinions that the folding stock of the FN could easily break at the hinge.
    The word easily is subjective and I never got much more than that.

So I opted for the REPR's.
    No regrets.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have both . But to me the scar is a step above! ! You truly have to shoot 1 to understand. The recoil impulse is so much less. Especially suppressed ! With a aftermarket trigger they are even better. If I could afford a 2nd scar 16 I would buy another.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I got the 17s because I wanted an all purpose battle rifle. I outfitted it with a 1-8X scope and bipod hoping it would be a good shooter. It was 3MOA at best with FGGM 168s.

I then thought I'll throw a red dot on it and it'll be more of SHTF type rifle, but I already have enough of those.

My M1A and my M&P 10 are both sub MOA guns so why do I need another semi .308 that is more of a range toy? I really liked the feel and the weight but it just didn't fill a niche that I didn't already have covered

The brake was annoyingly loud.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    interesting thoughts on this. I half thought it might be 1 of those novelty firearms that don't perform that much better but because of the price/novelty, people just buy them for status.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'll just toss in here too that the tavor 7 is a thing that should be out soon. For a price vs capability discussion, if I'm spending more than I would for an AR, I'd personally go tavor rather than scar.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    interesting thoughts on this. I half thought it might be 1 of those novelty firearms that don't perform that much better but because of the price/novelty, people just buy them for status.

I wouldn't call it a novelty. It was designed specifically for a US special forces contract. If anything it's just a case of not being what most civilian shooters can justify. Sort of like how most people who just casually work on cars don't own SnapOn tools. They're better but not enough to justify the massive cost difference for a non-professional user.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I wouldn't call it a novelty. It was designed specifically for a US special forces contract. If anything it's just a case of not being what most civilian shooters can justify. Sort of like how most people who just casually work on cars don't own SnapOn tools. They're better but not enough to justify the massive cost difference for a non-professional user.
    That there is a good analogy!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I still don't understand why SCARs are SO damn expensive. If they dropped the price a few hundred dollars or so they'd move a lot more units. Is it REALLY a $2K+ rifle?

The SCAR can't do anything a decent AR can do aside from the folding stock and some neat ambidextrous features and barrel swapping and... OK, honestly it's really a pretty solid design. It was marketed as an AR-killer and if it wasn't for the hefty price tag, it probably would be a lot more popular. It *might* have actually been a contender for military adoption if they hadn't priced it out of requisition territory.

Are they good rifles? Yes. Are they worth the huge markup? Hmm.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'll just toss in here too that the tavor 7 is a thing that should be out soon. For a price vs capability discussion, if I'm spending more than I would for an AR, I'd personally go tavor rather than scar.

Yep.

For folks that already have extensive AR platform training and aren’t willing/able to do the same to master a different platform (SCAR or AK or Tavor, M1A, etc), just stick with what you know for defensive rifle.

But... if you are starting from scratch, and have the extra scratch; there are better systems that are worth the premium in my opinion.

Then again, if today actually is TEOTWAWKI (I doubt it), or if there are no new guns/parts made; there will be more AR guns and parts than any other available. Long live AR, long live 5.56!

That there is a good analogy!

That was good. Hope he doesn’t mind if I start using that analogy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom