• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    There's too many variables to simply answer you question. If you have your guns sitting in a closet, then a gun safe is a mandatory suggestion. If you have a gun safe and there are too many to fit anymore inside, then sell and buy an appropriately sized safe. As far as kids in the house, you must teach them to respect firearms regardless of where they are located. I've had firearms before I had kids. They were ALWAYS taught to respect the firearms and they knew from a very early age, that they were not toys. I never kept the firearms from the kids. If they wanted to see one, I took that as a teaching moment. Soon they knew all of the safety rules of firearms and they have taken that into adulthood.

I personally would never want my firearms stored anywhere else than my home. I would never want to give up control of them for an instant. If they are in my home, I know where they are and that they are being stored safely and properly. If you want to work with this situation, there are solutions to keep your firearms in your home. Teaching your family to respect firearms and to understand they are tools that if used recklessly, can cause harm. This is the most important thing.

Good luck to you and your family.

Words of wisdom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :lol2: another gun safe and who would carry it upstairs.

Wish I had these problems.

A "cabinet" or "locker" will be plenty safe from the kids, and easily movable. Put it in a closet (or attic) and the closet can also be locked. A lot of ammo crates or footlockers can be locked as well. True this is less burglary-proof than a safe, but gun ranges and gun stores are highly visible targets and do get robbed (there has been a rash of these). I doubt off-site storage is actually safer than a simple cabinet.

Toddlers do what they do, but it should not really be any harder to keep them from the guns than from the bleach under the sink.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Safes are fairly simple to move, with professional equipment, and my safe guy was very reasonable.

OR , as sugguested, a gun locker in addition to a true safe. Upside is they are inexpensive, and easy to move . Plenty secure against children, and casual visitors. If you secure then to the floor, or framing, provide a measure of protection against rushed or amature burglars . Unequivocal Downside- No fire protection. So segregate your herd, with the Parkers, Perazzis, and pre-'64 M70's in the real Safe, and the HiPoints and Mossbergs in the Locker.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I've seen guys on the C&R forum remove the bolts or BCG's from their rifles, store them in a locked safe/locker, and mount the unfireable guns on the wall or store in a closet. At least a kid can't fire them if they're accidentally found; and you don't need a really big, heavy safe just for the bolts. I plan to do this at our next house.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Any off site storage (other than say parents, brother, trusted friend) is going to cost more than a safe in the long run. If you are simply trying to keep away from young kids, even a cheap safe from Harbor Freight ($300 for the big one) is going to be fine. Cheap safes may not necessarily keep out a burglar if they are motivated and have tools. Toddlers, a locked cabinet and maybe a trigger lock. You can get the safe plus trigger lock if you want belt and suspenders type of thing. My experience is that you show them gun safety and then have them shoot one (age 10+ for my kids). They simply lose the curiosity at that point or they become a shooting buddy. My oldest went shooting w/ me for one summer but much of his interest. He'll go out with me if I make him but I don't do that.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads