• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    Hi,

I'm a DC resident and my father is a MD resident. He owns a ruger gunsite in .308 he'd like to transfer/give to me. I already own guns in DC so this wouldn't be my first. Do we need to go through a FFL to transfer it to me in DC? I called the firearms office in DC but they seemed unsure...

"Evil" looking semiautomatic rifles seem to be banned in DC, but since this is bolt action it seems none of that applies.

Thank you.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yes but it's pretty easy for something that isn't considered regulated.

PM CypherPunk here and he will 100% know the rules.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Based on Heller III, you don't even have to bring the rifle down to MPD anymore. Just the PD219. Have your father write up a bill of sale, fill out the PD219, and go down to MPD 10 days after whatever date is on the bill of sale. 13 bucks and walk out with your registration card same day.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Has DC changed their regs to comport with the ruling?

Not yet. I called this week to check on Reg cards without expiration and still no go.

But I have registered long guns in DC in the past without bringing them in before helller iii. But those were though an FFL on the out of state side.

worst case is you will pay a Maryland FFL $25 to $40, not Mr. Sykes 125. with a purchase from Bass pro etc for long gun you don't need skyes since they are an FFL.. For any other long gun purchase, say internet, ywhere you need an FFL on one end, you are also better off going though a Va. or Md. FFL and save 85 to $90 bucks. Even an internet seller can in theory do the PD219, but they may still be squeamish about shipping it to you direct to DC (some major dealers like Palmetto wont even ship to sykes!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom