• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What he meant was it was the Judge who brought up the comparison of lube to increasing rate of fire.

RIF

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    More than just sending the letter, you need to get this message out to everyone you know - or everyone you know who knows others - who shoot, or keep and HD gun around the house, or have a sleepy grandpa with a varmint .22 in the garage. Everyone with a slicked-up turkey gun. Everyone who's ever (or might) go to some trouble to really clean up the trigger on Dad's old 1911. Everyone. On FB, I shared MSI's post of this same info, with some context and thoughts of my own. I almost NEVER talk guns on FB, as it always stirs the pot. But this is one of those occasions where the people who need to see this info might see it through my action, and the people who see my stuff but hate guns (and gun owners) might pause for a moment to realize what an absurd, Kafka-esque thing has been done in their names.

I posted the MSI link in the MD sub forum on AR15.com. Not a single reply in 2 days. Either they are aware or simply don’t care. I feel for you guys in MD. I fear VA maybe going down that road if we don’t stop it.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Tell that to the federal judge who definitely disagrees with you.

Yep. Armchair commentators vs a sitting federal judge. Hmm ... whose advice should I take? My letter goes in tomorrow.

I am well aware of whose opinion is worthless and whose opinion should be listened to. I am also well aware that it take a judge to read "shall not be infringed" and translate that into "infringe more than all the other rights combined."

All I'm saying is that while I can read English, I can't perform the mental gymnastics to realistically think anyone would ever consider lubricant to be a "part" or a "device."

Everyone can and will do as they see fit, but there is no way I'm sending in a signed letter to ATF stating that I am considering owning a soon to be banned device when it only covers me for 12 months. (....and ATF, I am NOT considering owning one) :beer:

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Everyone can and will do as they see fit, but there is no way I'm sending in a signed letter to ATF stating that I am considering owning a soon to be banned device when it only covers me for 12 months. (....and ATF, I am NOT considering owning one)

I, OTOH, have more faith in the president of MSI's attorney skills and the potential for this legislation to be overturned. Since he's suggesting this letter as part of his strategy, I'm in.

Others can decide to sit on the sidelines and let somone else take the risks. It's a phenomenon as old as the American Revolution. Lots of armchair patriots sat that one out too.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I also find "gun oil" a bit of a stretch, BUT given a federal judge thought of it, its within the realm of sh*t. I will be sending the form linked above. I'm already on the radar with my C$R license, so what's one more list? I HIGHLY doubt the BAFTE will even keep the letter.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Would the act of sending in these letters give us standing in future suit against this unconstitutional law? Can we be shown to have been harmed, if harm extends to mental anguish? Is that part of the game plan? Just curious.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I am well aware of whose opinion is worthless and whose opinion should be listened to. I am also well aware that it take a judge to read "shall not be infringed" and translate that into "infringe more than all the other rights combined."

All I'm saying is that while I can read English, I can't perform the mental gymnastics to realistically think anyone would ever consider lubricant to be a "part" or a "device."

Everyone can and will do as they see fit, but there is no way I'm sending in a signed letter to ATF stating that I am considering owning a soon to be banned device when it only covers me for 12 months. (....and ATF, I am NOT considering owning one) :beer:

Then don't.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    This seems to be very specific about only covering "devices" or "parts." I think oil and lubrication is well outside the scope of the law. Let's not add to the circus by making this cover what it doesn't.

That seems to resolve the aftermarket trigger issue.

I got this text from https://legiscan.com/MD/text/SB707/2018
    and clicked on the Maryland-2018-SB707-Chaptered.pdf
    As near as I can tell this should be the final text of the signed law. Is there an updated version which stripped out the aftermarket trigger waiver?

Except that binary triggers meet the definition of semi-auto triggers. So, the law is not clear and contradicts itself.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Should residents of other states submit one as well just in case they do/may bring their weapons into MD?

If so, should this info be placed in other forums around the country so that BATFE gets these requests from every state in the nation (for the sake of the cause if nothing else)?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    So what happens when we send the form in to the ATF, and they dont respond? How can we prove that we actually applied, with just a copy of a letter that we sent in?

I would ensure you quote the state law and the law's code number, noting your desire to be compliant. Delivery receipt shows your compliance with the law. When ATF sends you a letter back saying they don't do this, I would then suggest you contact the lawsuit attorney and provide them a copy of that letter. I think, once ATF get a flood of these letters assuming that there is a large quantity of these devices they will contact the state.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    This forum is seen by an incredibly small number of MD gun owners. I'd be surprised if ATF receives 50 letters, of which they will send back 0 approved letters. Then what.....

This is a tiny echo chamber. Most MD gun owners have no idea that a bump stock bill passed, hell probably didn't know one was introduced.

Its a real shame to know that people outside forums like this are going to end up in violation of a law that could end their ability to own a firearm. Keeping track of firearm laws in this state is almost a part time job. :mad54:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Judge stated that notification to BATFE complies with the statute. No response or approval is required per the Judge.

Get proof the letter was received by BATFE. What BATFE does with the letter is irrelevant according to the Judge.

Notification=compliance

I’m sure this is not what Frosh and the Dems anticipated because they knew BATFE would not approve the “applications” and therefore the devices would be illegal after Oct 1.

Oops

Thank you MSI

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The address the letter needs to be sent to is:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    99 New York Avenue NE
    Washington, DC 20226

This is as given from the ATF.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    The address the letter needs to be sent to is:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    99 New York Avenue NE
    Washington, DC 20226

This is as given from the ATF.

Just tried to send a certified letter to 99 New York Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20226.

The post office told me that address does not exist. USPS has two addresses in their system - 99 New York Ave NE has a zip code of 20002 and 99 New York Ave NW has a zip code of 20226

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    From their site. I wonder if they did that on purpose. Google maps doesn't find it either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-17-10-49-56.jpg
      Screenshot_2018-09-17-10-49-56.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 504

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just tried to send a certified letter to 99 New York Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20226.

The post office told me that address does not exist. USPS has two addresses in their system - 99 New York Ave NE has a zip code of 20002 and 99 New York Ave NW has a zip code of 20226

https://www.atf.gov/contact/contact-atf-headquarters

The USPS branch in Baltimore I dealt with Saturday morning accepted the given address.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No wonder You can’t get a letter sent 5 miles down the road.

Notice the address is in NE and the zip is 20226

Attachments

• EDCB4C9B-8956-427B-9370-DDCD940AC58E.jpg
      EDCB4C9B-8956-427B-9370-DDCD940AC58E.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 530

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads