• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    "Nothing wounded goes uphill"

Solid anonymous advice that helped me find my buck this year.

The deer in the Herefordish Zone didn't get this memo.

The property I hunt on is a gradual hill about 250 yards long. Probably a 20-25 percent incline. I've had countless deer travel up that hill after being shot. Their bedding area is just over the crest of that hill. Lots of woods and briar patches at the top of the hill too.

Many times the deer have gone just inside the edge of the woods and briar patches to expire.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats to all who harvested a deer during the firearms season. Seems like it was hard hunting the entire time. All my friends got skunked. Everyone said it was like they all fell off the face of the earth. I didn't hear 1 shot being taken behind my house. ML season was a different story. We had at least 1 shot every day. Nothing, nada, zilch during this season.

How do you explain this? Did they ALL go nocturnal for the entire season? Did they just go deeper into the woods? I can tell ya, I didn't see as many deer dead along the roads this year either. WHAT HAPPENED?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    . I forgot my rifle is zeroed for 200yds and is 2 inches high at 100.

Unless you hunt along fields or utility right of ways,most places that deer will be using, you cant shoot 100 yrds let alone 200 yrds.You may want to rethink you POI.

Its much easier to remember aiming a little high on long shots than to remember holding lower on close shots.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Unless you hunt along fields or utility right of ways,most places that deer will be using, you cant shoot 100 yrds let alone 200 yrds.You may want to rethink you POI.

Its much easier to remember aiming a little high on long shots than to remember holding lower on close shots.

Truthfully, the woods and area that I have hunted would allow on average about a 50-60 yard shot. With trees, brush and just the lay of the land, a 100 yard shot would be extremely unique in my hunting experience. I guess one should know the area before they sight in their firearm.

I've often wonder why most folks sight in their firearm for the magical, mystical 100 yard range. Go to a sight in day at any range and everyone is trying to shoot a bullseye at 100 yards, but their hunting property will only allow for a 50 yard shot.

Why?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I can see your point,but I always think the "what if".Say you site in your gun for 50 yrds and never shoot it past that distance.You get a last minute call from a friend who says you two can hunt a new property.You hunt an open edge and a deer steps out at 200 -250 yrds. Now what?

I think you should know how far you and your gun are capable of accurate shooting.

Not enough trigger time is why you see guys struggling to hit a bullseye at 100 yrds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Best quartering to shot placement is the point of the leading front shoulder. Sounds like you hit it right. :thumbsup:

Oh, well then I guess it was good. Lol. I don’t have a picture of the wound. As the follow up at close range left about a 4 inch crater and was kind of shallow raking from bottom to top along the same side the first round in. Picture has the untouched side facing up. Missed the vitals as he flopped back down as I took the follow up shot at 10yds after running over to him (I did put my rifle on safe before running across the hillside after it flopped over. I was going to make the follow up shot on the hoof, but he looked like he was about the keel over and I was right).

I would have done a third shot from closer range, but the second one stunned or knocked it unconscious and it was dead a few seconds later.

Definitely a bad follow up shot as I didn’t want it managing to get up and running off and also didn’t want it to suffer any more.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oh, well then I guess it was good. Lol. I don’t have a picture of the wound. As the follow up at close range left about a 4 inch crater and was kind of shallow raking from bottom to top along the same side the first round in. Picture has the untouched side facing up. Missed the vitals as he flopped back down as I took the follow up shot at 10yds after running over to him (I did put my rifle on safe before running across the hillside after it flopped over. I was going to make the follow up shot on the hoof, but he looked like he was about the keel over and I was right).

I would have done a third shot from closer range, but the second one stunned or knocked it unconscious and it was dead a few seconds later.

Definitely a bad follow up shot as I didn’t want it managing to get up and running off and also didn’t want it to suffer any more.
    If it's an antlerless deer, I always use a knife.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don’t have issues shooting the bullseye out of the target from a bench if the rifle and load is willing.

That said, mine is zeroed because I hunt Nanticoke. I haven’t hunted the fields much there, but some are 500yds across. No way in hell I’d try for a deer at that range, but I would out to 300-350 if I had a good rest for it (out last about 150 I’d also pull out my laser range finder to be sure how far it was). Inside of 200yds, the maximum climb of the round is only something like 2.5” high or so a hair last 100yds. On a deer, that is just dandy and easy enough for me to remember if it is right about 100yds, aim a hair low. That also means at 300 it is 8 inches low, which means aim for the top of its back. A lot easier to compensate for than 15 inches of drop if zeroed for 100yds.

Inside 75yds it is just about dead on. 50 and inside it is a hair low because of the scope height over the muzzle. Mostly, on a deer, a couple of inches isn’t going to make much if otherwise the aim is good.

Longest range I’ve taken a deer is about 80yds. My first one. Open woods, probably could have taken the shot when it first appeared about 120-130yds away, but it was headed across my front and I shot it at its closest approach.

Closet to me deer was a button buck last year at about 25yds with a 12ga.

The rest have been 50-70yds from me. If I wanted to be crazy, I saw a few shots in Greenridge where I could clearly see a part of a hillside across the way from me that would be 300 yds or so away. Nice open woods over there, but still only like a 50x50yd slice.

I doubt in that situation even if I saw a deer I’d take that shot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it's an antlerless deer, I always use a knife.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would have, but my knife was in my pack and it looked like there was at least a small chance it would have gotten enough hoofs under it to get back up and run off a bit. in My enthusiasm my pack was being used as a head rest a couple of minutes before and where I left it when I went running over to the deer.

Between it maybe limping off some more if it could manage to get up (probably not with only 3 working legs on a steep hill) and suffering, I didn’t want to take a minute to run back, get the knife out of my pack and run back again. The thought did occur to me for a second, then I shoulder my rifle and put it down. I also considered aiming for its head, but that was moving around way too much.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    Had a good last night of gun season in the snow. It was also my first night out with my new Savage 220.

Attachments

• F73F1DEE-0376-4C77-9CE4-6F2A773A3128.jpg
      F73F1DEE-0376-4C77-9CE4-6F2A773A3128.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 167

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yes they do.

Whatever direction of travel when shot. A deer will sprint in that direction.

My last deer harvested this year went uphill. Which was nice, because it didnt go far.

:thumbsup: Ive found many times they travel in the direction they came from...Sometimes they dont have enough blood left to go up hill but they do go up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: Ive found many times they travel in the direction they came from...Sometimes they dont have enough blood left to go up hill but they do go up.

Sometimes making a big, fat circle which can take them up hill. Deer are beasts of least resistance. When they start up hill and realize it's harder(for some reason), they arc back down hill when mortally hit.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Sometimes making a big, fat circle which can take them up hill. Deer are beasts of least resistance. When they start up hill and realize it's harder(for some reason), they arc back down hill when mortally hit.

Best way to stop that is to shoot them in the head with a large caliber rifle.

At least that's what I've been told.... :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom