• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For a full size, I like the 34 over the 17, the longer slide and barrel seems to balance better for me, and being the nose is rounded it seems to handle and holster easier too. It doesn't get in the way as some longslides do, but has almost an inch more sight radius and barrel to give great velocity. The G19 is pretty much the smallest pistol that still shoots and handles like a fullsize, any smaller and you start hanging your pinkie or palm off of the grip. It's probably the most friendly, quickest handling, easiest to carry pistol without making large compromises. The 17 is a great pistol, but to me is just meh, too big to conceal like the 19, with a shorter flat pignose compared to the 34. Might be a better duty pistol, but just isn't as appealing for range or concealed carry use.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Does anyone prefer the 17 over the 19? I have a 19 and thought about getting a 17. and if so, gen 3 or 4?

It depends on what I am using the gun for. I prefer the 19 for concealed carry but prefer to shoot the 17.

As for the OP's question both the gen 3 and gen 4 G19's are great guns. The gen 4 has interchangeable backstraps. You have to decide if the backstraps are worth the extra money.

Personally I prefer the gen 2's but they can be hard to find.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    What no Gen 1 love? Mine is still going strong.

The Gen 4 is a general improvement over the Gen 3, though I don't like the aggressive grip texture as much.

But, it's a Glock. I mean, whichever you choose will likely still be kicking by Gen 7 when they are loaded with self-guided bullets.

Personally I prefer the G19 as the better all-around use but for a range gun the G17 has a marginally better sight radius. Otherwise I can't tell much difference nor can comfortably carry either one without bulky clothing.

A Gen 1 Glock 19 is very rare. They were made from cut down G17 frames. It may sound very odd but there are collectors that will pay a small fortune for a Gen 1 Glock 19.

A little more info on the Gen 1 G19's can be found HERE and HEREand HERE

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Either. Both are fantastic. My Gen4 is a few years old now, and hasn't failed me yet. My Gen3 G23 is great too, but needs a spring replacement, as it's had a ton of rounds through it.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I much prefer the Gen4 grip texture over the Gen3 texture. It does not chafe.

If I were buying another G19 today, I would get a standard G19 Gen4. I have the MOS version, but I dislike the RMR. I ended up putting the RMR on my rifle ;)

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Does anyone prefer the 17 over the 19? I have a 19 and thought about getting a 17. and if so, gen 3 or 4?

I fell that the 17 is too big. 19 will give you 15 rounds in stock form and IMO is a great size over all.

G4 vs G3? Do you want adjustable grips? For me the G4 without any backstrap fits my hand great, the G3 not so much but it's not bad, the G4 just feels better.

That alone is reason for me to go G4 over G3 but my hand is my hand, gotta find the grip that fits your hand the best.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i have a gen 4 17 and 19. i think i might be the only one who prefers the etched trigger of the 19 to the flat trigger of the 17 (its entirely to do with grip of my booger hook). otherwise the guns are damn near the same, except the grip and mag (and barrel, but you barely notice that while shooting) are longer. capacity difference is 2 rounds so that's not huge. i really prefer the grip texture of the G4. especially in the summer, and i sweat quite a bit, and the grip texture makes a difference, even when sweaty and dirty i can still get a good positive grip on the gen 4 glock.

or you can get the best of both worlds and get the vickers glock, G3 with the G4 texture fiber sight and the other vickers upgrades (slide stop, mag release... i think there is one more).

the grip shape is not the same on the 19 and 17. if you stand a 19 and 17 magazine next to each other you'll notice the baseplates are not at the same angle, and thus the magazine sits differently. the 19 has an angle where the grip is longer in the front than the back (measured 90 degrees from the bore) where as the 17 is the same. they fit in your hand a little differently. i had the 17 first and the 19 is newer. i can't quite tell which one i like better.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've been switching my stash over from gen 3 to gen 4. the stippling/grippyness is definitely better and while i don't really care about the adjustable backstraps, i really like the beavertail option. i'm not good enough to tell the recoil difference, if any, from 3 to 4.

bama, if you already have the 19 maybe consider going two models up to the 34, for a more meaningful vs just a slight diff.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    well like I said, I have a 19 gen 4 and a 21 gen 4.

I was thinking about getting the 17. and if so, gen 3 or 4?
    Do you use the medium back straps on your Gen 4's or none at all? If you use none at all you will probably want to stay with Gen 4. If you use the medium back strap on the Gen 4 then you would be used to and like the Gen 3 (same grip angle). I personally prefer the Gen 1-3 grip angle so I set my Gen 4's up with the medium back strap.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    i've been switching my stash over from gen 3 to gen 4. the stippling/grippyness is definitely better and while i don't really care about the adjustable backstraps, i really like the beavertail option. i'm not good enough to tell the recoil difference, if any, from 3 to 4.

bama, if you already have the 19 maybe consider going two models up to the 34, for a more meaningful vs just a slight diff.
    If you have any gen 3's you need to dump let me know.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think I'll go buy another blue label G19 for under $400 just for the hell of it now, after all this talk. Lol

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    Do you use the medium back straps on your Gen 4's or none at all? If you use none at all you will probably want to stay with Gen 4. If you use the medium back strap on the Gen 4 then you would be used to and like the Gen 3 (same grip angle). I personally prefer the Gen 1-3 grip angle so I set my Gen 4's up with the medium back strap.

whatever came on it. I did not switch them at all. I just started shooting with it right out of the box and it felt great.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Oh hell yeah - that has started me having a change of heart. The sig p320 looks freaking awesome and since i'm more of a sig guy anyway, yes!

I have the P229 E2 now and that's my baby.

I'm also a SIG guy, and I'm waiting with baited breath for the 320-X Carry and 320-X VTAC models to hit the market. Those look awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom