• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing the full story!

^^^This. Everybody(non-hunters) think- go into woods, spread corn on ground, kill trophy, cut off head for wall adornment, go back to woods, repeat.

No concept of what leads up to, then follows the shot. "There's so many deer. How can you miss?" :cool:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ^^^This. Everybody(non-hunters) think- go into woods, spread corn on ground, kill trophy, cut off head for wall adornment, go back to woods, repeat.

No concept of what leads up to, then follows the shot. "There's so many deer. How can you miss?" :cool:

And the Highs and Lows, even during a single hunt. It can be a roller coaster :). I figured at least one hunter could relate, even if it was long-winded.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And the Highs and Lows, even during a single hunt. It can be a roller coaster :). I figured at least one hunter could relate, even if it was long-winded.
    That roller coaster ride is why we bowhunt.

I wouldn't call it long-winded at all. It was a good story and you told it very well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Definitely can relate, thanks for sharing
    Last Halloween i had a similar run of events that made me late getting into the woods. I walked in on my trail to find the buck id been after out in front of me rubbing a tree. I let a shot go and then waited what seemed to be the longest 45 minutes of my life. I had the horrible feeling i missed low, and when I found the arrow, it was a clean miss. I spent the rest of that evening questioning what I was even still doing in the woods. It was the last time i saw that buck in person last season, and im pretty sure a guy down the road killed him just before Thanksgiving.

It was only the third time in my life I had a buck that big present a shot to me, and the first in 5 years. I never got a shot at the first one while waiting for a clean chance, and through a crazy sequence of events my neighbor ended up killing the one 5 years ago.

To those that dont hunt, and honestly even some that do, who seem to have a horseshoe up their backside (my grandfather was one of those), they never will understand the ups and downs that come with a season. We put in a lot of work year round to get us into position to take an animal. Success is wonderful, and failure can be really hard, and the line the separates the two is incredibly thin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Last Halloween i had a similar run of events that made me late getting into the woods. I walked in on my trail to find the buck id been after out in front of me rubbing a tree. I let a shot go and then waited what seemed to be the longest 45 minutes of my life. I had the horrible feeling i missed low, and when I found the arrow, it was a clean miss. I spent the rest of that evening questioning what I was even still doing in the woods. It was the last time i saw that buck in person last season, and im pretty sure a guy down the road killed him just before Thanksgiving.

It was only the third time in my life I had a buck that big present a shot to me, and the first in 5 years. I never got a shot at the first one while waiting for a clean chance, and through a crazy sequence of events my neighbor ended up killing the one 5 years ago.

To those that dont hunt, and honestly even some that do, who seem to have a horseshoe up their backside (my grandfather was one of those), they never will understand the ups and downs that come with a season. We put in a lot of work year round to get us into position to take an animal. Success is wonderful, and failure can be really hard, and the line the separates the two is incredibly thin.

We'll stated. And I'm not one of those perpetual horse shoe carriers. Just when I think I've made every mistake in the book, I invent a new one to learn from.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I’ve learned humility this season (so far!)

3 seasons ago was my first and I killed a good sized 8-point at sunset the last day of early muzzleloader. Nothing the rest of the season. Last season I connected with a yearling doe and a button buck and though small, was feeling pretty damn confident. Started crossbow hunting this year and the first Saturday of the season I was late to get in my new stand (also new to stand hunting) and arrowed a good sized spike an hour before sunset after only being out 3 hours.

Feeling prettt damn full of myself. Then I called in a couple of does the first morning of early muzzleloader and I know I am a damn hunting savant. I realize as I stare at them through my binoculars at 30 yds as they stamp and pace back and forth in front of my stand that like an idiot my muzzleloader is in my lap. Ease my way over a a couple of minutes in to a shooting position and squeeze one off right as the largest doe (they looked to be 4-5 years old, they were HUGE) stepped out from behind a pine tree...and as it bent down. Right over it’s back. Then stared at them stupid for a minute and they started to walk calmly off after having jumped. And then I start reloading. I call another time as I finish, which stops them out of open sight range at about 100yds facing away from me and then they walked off a few seconds later.

Then that evening a big 6-pt walked calmly past me at 75yds as I spent 10 minutes debating where to hang my stand for the afternoon/evening. I take what I thought was a good shot and either went right over/under it, or hit a branch on the way (the opening between trees wasn’t so open when I checked where it had been standing). Also finished reloading as it decided to take off. Tried to track it for a bit, found the hoof prints, no blood and gave up after the brambles started getting thick with no sign I hit it.

Friday and Saturday I had to split my time between hunting and belated birthday parties and home renovation crap. Missed out on a fork or 6-pt (maybe the same 6-point) because I was running late back to my car around 11am. Didn’t take a moderately difficult shot at 40yds as it cantered off parrallel to me. Then 3 minutes later bumped a pair of does that ran across the narrow valley and stood on the other side of it backlit, but couldn’t be positive of my shoot with my sight flaring with the sun almost right in my eyes the way I was facing and still late walking back to my car, so I didn’t take the shot.

That night I went bow (Potapsco, so now hunting only there) hunting right by my house as I had seen a big doe walk 65yds from my stand the night before. Setup my stand about 20yds from where it walked through. 15 minutes before time I had seen it the day before horse riders came riding through yelling at each other with dogs running with them and scared the damn doe out of bedding 75yds from my stand that I couldn’t see before because the brush right there was so thick. Slowly moved off ahead of the horse riders (they were on a path 100yds away in the direction of where the doe was needed).

I am greatful for that spike, but I feel like it has been a series of bad luck and bad mistakes on my part the rest of the season so far. I should have scoped my muzzleloader in the off season like I’d been telling myself to, I should have taken my time a bit more with some shots and shouldn’t have delayed taking others (6-point was WIDE open and moving slow at first, but I wanted him stopped...and he stopped in slightly over grown spot). I maybe should have taken opportunities I decided not to because of time pressure.

My neighbor and hunting buddy who has been too busy to go hunting so far this year is finally able to get out now and instead of doing early muzzle loader and the late gun season (always take a trip to the eastern shore for the later. Still haven’t connected with a WT or Sika out there yet) he is free to do a trip at the end of early gun out western MD and a trip to the eastern shore for late gun season.

And I have 3 more months of archery to add a doe to the freezer and the late ML season. I have to remind myself I screwed up, but I’ve learned stuff. Like I have rings, a base and a 1-4x32 shotgun scope waiting to go on my ML and sighted in next week. Also that more than half the season is left and even if I don’t connect, I have plenty of venison in the freezer.

Still feeling a little cursed.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    ...con't:

it's a crap picture, but I had a feeling he was something good. I hunted the next evening (10/26) in that stand to try my luck. I had some does and a spike around, but didn't see any big boys. Packed up at the end of legal shooting light, and drove out. The road out is about 80 yards behind my stand, and on the other side of the road, I see him. He was heading my way, but didn't get started early enough. Encouraged, I hunted the same stand the following morning (10/27). I saw some more deer, but not big boy.

So on Halloween, the after-funeral luncheon was about 5 miles from my stand, so I figured I'd just go over there and sit from about 2pm on, and hope for this guy to show. I'm heading that way when I get a call from a chimney guy I've been waiting on...he'll be at my house at 2:30. I want to meet with him, so I turn around and head home, figuring I can still be to my stand by 3:30. He doesn't show until 3:30. I'm anxious to get going, so he's no further out of the driveway when I'm changed and right behind him.

I get to my spot at about 4....knowing it's dangerously late. I already passed 4 deer by the road making their way towards my stand...I would jump them for sure. I'm getting my final gear on when the neighbor sees me, comes over, and starts chit-chatting. He shows me his new shop, tells me about the work he's having done around the house, and talks about the giant buck that he saw once last year. I tell him I think I have in on camera, and he says to make sure I show him pics if I get him.

Approaching 4:30, I finally make the walk towards my stand. I get 50 feet away, and a deer sticks his head up out of the brush, 50 feet on the other side of my stand. Antlers everywhere. It's him. He's alerted to me, and I know what's coming next. The White Flag of a dead hunt...he's high-tailing it out of there.

Suck a duck.

I climb up anyways, hoping he'll forget about lil'-ol' me, and chase some does around. I'm amped up knowing he's in the area. I see him across the field...300 yards away. Going the wrong way. Crap. Trees block my view out that way, so I can't tell if he continues going the wrong way, or if he turns back my way. I start to get bummed out.

A doe comes in with 4 yearlings. She's a big girl...probably would dress out at 115. I decide to wait. Another doe comes leisurely in. Then running...it's a doe and a fawn...being chased! I look through the trees to see who it is...he's running in. He clears the trees....and he's a spike. Bastard. Deer scatter, but stay close. I then realize I have 9 sets of eyes, both in front of and behind me. That'll make things difficult. No sooner than that thought passes, here's more running...and grunting. LOTS of grunting. It's him. His head is down, and he charges in to the scene. The rest of the deer are focused on him. I draw back, wait for him to clear the last branch, calm the fever by pausing to say to myself: "Aim small, miss small, Dave". And I let it fly.

I hit within 2" of where I was aiming. Smoked him....I thought. He goes about 20 yards, stops, and looks around. I'm sure he's going down right there. I'm pumped! First wall-hanger in 5 years. I had to have hit his heart with that shot. But he keeps walking! The sinking feeling comes...

He beds down, gets, up, beds down again, gets up again, and walks behind the trees where I can't see, about 50 yards away. If I can sneak out of my stand, I'll have the tree between me and him, and maybe I can range another shot on him. I try it. By the time I get down, I can't see him. Anywhere. No idea which way he went. A little further sinking...

I give it 30 minutes, but don't want to wait longer. If he's bedded up and I can get close enough for a followup shot, I only have minutes of daylight to do it. I go to where he first bedded down. Good blood! Not lung, and not a lot, but bright red. Same thing at second bedding spot. I'm encouraged. I trail for a bit longer, and the blood gets thinner. I lose the trail a few times. I constantly scan ahead with the flashlight, but nothing.

I follow the last trajectory of blood, and it takes me to the road. Would he risk crossing? I look down, and there's one spot of blood right at the edge of the road. He had considered it the same as I had. I shine the light up...and a pair of eyes are looking right back at me, 40 yards away! They're watching me, but the deer isn't running away. I can't see antlers, but I know it's him, and that he doesn't have much time left. But to be safe, I leave. When in doubt: Back out.

So I go home, carve a pumpkin with my wife, and wait for the neighbor to get home from trick-or-treating with his kids. I'm as nervous as a one-legged cat on a hot tin roof. I head back, neighbor in tow, after a couple hours. I formulate a plan. If I see eyes again, I'll take another shot, in the dark. I hate to have animals suffer. If I don't, he's either dead, or moved again. I get to the spot, shine the light...and eyes again, looking back at me. Crap. I talk it over with my neighbor, and we formulate a plan. I'll park, put the 40-yard pin where I best think the vitals are, and pray for a good shot. Then he says: "Those eyes were odd...they were really close together". Then it clicks...he's right. Those weren't deer eyes...they were a fox's...which means the deer is dead! I say my revelation out loud, and start running over to him. Sure enough, he's done. Probably didn't last much longer after I had left before.

So here's the biggest deer I've seen on this property, and my first wall-hanger in five long years. 12 points in all, with the brow-tine kickers. I'm pretty pleased :)
    :thumbsup: Very cool! Congrats!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I heard from a friend who's in a club on the Eastern Shore that the farmer who owns the land has found 4 deer with Blue Tongue Disease. Anyone else hearing anything like this?

I sure hope not.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Beautiful. I love a perfectly symmetrical Typical deer (I’m in design & engineering and have an annoying almost OCD sense of symmetry). Again, beautiful. Congrats GTODave!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Everything was going well yesterday until my neighbors grandson decided to start shooting squirrels with a 22 about 50 yards from me. I was none too pleased. Before that saw a doe and a small buck but heard one of the loudest grunts ever coming from around 100 yards away. I'll be out there early today to try and beat the great squirrel hunter to the woods lol

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I heard from a friend who's in a club on the Eastern Shore that the farmer who owns the land has found 4 deer with Blue Tongue Disease. Anyone else hearing anything like this?

I sure hope not.
    Been all over the facebook all fall. Seems to be quite a bit of it over there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    wife shot a nice 120lb doe today with her crossbow. It still ran around 200yds down hill. had a punctured lung and clipped the heart.

Congrats to the wife!

I was fortunate enough to dart a doe yesterday as well. Almost straight down shot(14yds, 30' up in a tree), took out her aorta. Ran 80yds in about 3 seconds. Sat in a tree in mom's back yard. Not so much hunting, as grocery shopping.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    wife shot a nice 120lb doe today with her crossbow. It still ran around 200yds down hill. had a punctured lung and clipped the heart.

Congrats to her. Now when are you going to keep up your side of the bargain? :innocent0

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats to the wife!

I was fortunate enough to dart a doe yesterday as well. Almost straight down shot(14yds, 30' up in a tree), took out her aorta. Ran 80yds in about 3 seconds. Sat in a tree in mom's back yard. Not so much hunting, as grocery shopping.

Backstraps for everyone!!!!!!

Congrats :thumbsup:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa

I sure hope not.

We also been finding a few on one of our farms in Dorchester. I've seen it happen before in the mid 90s in Queen Anne's county.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I usually find a few dead in the fields and this year I've found 8 dead in about 150 acres of corn. Thought if it were blue tongue they would be in or near water but these are far from water.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I usually find a few dead in the fields and this year I've found 8 dead in about 150 acres of corn. Thought if it were blue tongue they would be in or near water but these are far from water.

I'm not sure, but I think those deer my friend reported on where in fields, not near water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom