• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Looking to add a 1911 .45 to the collection. Looking for some knowledgable recommendations.

#1 priority is reliability. I don't necessarily want to go entry level, i.e. cheapest one available but I don't need an overpriced custom gun either.

The gun will be used for shooting water bottles in the backyard and a secondary roll of home defense.

Please include a model in your recommendation. I have been all over Colt's, Springfield's, RRA's, etc websites but after awhile its easy to lose track of the individual models.

Kind of leaning toward Colt but having a tough time deciphering the features, advantages and disadvantages of the different model.

Thanks in advance.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Rock Island Armory Standard GI with a basic reliability job. You can pay a lot more for alternatives and do worse.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have a Remington R1 Enhanced, came with a match barrel. Not a minutes problem with it in 4-5 years and thousands of rounds.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Look on Gunbroker for a late 1980s Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

Very basic, like GI basic, but great quality.

A human actually took the time to deburr their firearms back then.

$299.99 back then too.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Seriously.....go Springfield!! I have several in 9mm and .45 ACP.
    My FAVORITE is the .45 ACP model# PX9151L ( Loaded Full Size ).

This model # is 10 yrs. old and was ~ $800 then, but you get the point. NEVER a hic-cup in
    4500 rnds. I LUV IT.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Look on Gunbroker for a late 1980s Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

Very basic, like GI basic, but great quality.

A human actually took the time to deburr their firearms back then.

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. is also good. I personally like target adjustable sights thus the 'LOADED' model. I also
    like Humans, well.......most of the time, IF they are good craftsman/gunsmiths!!

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Ruger SR1911 full size or commander, won't break the bank, shoots well right out of the box.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Best Colt for the money out there right now is the Competition Government model. O1980CCS. For a maybe a hundred bucks more than the base gun you are getting a National Match barrel, dual spring recoil system, G10 grips, the extended beavertail, and real Novak sights that are windage AND elevation adjustable.

http://www.colt.com/catalog/pistols/colt-competition-pistol

Wow, that's nice

My vote would be for an original series 70.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Best Colt for the money out there right now is the Competition Government model. O1980CCS. For a maybe a hundred bucks more than the base gun you are getting a National Match barrel, dual spring recoil system, G10 grips, the extended beavertail, and real Novak sights that are windage AND elevation adjustable.

http://www.colt.com/catalog/pistols/colt-competition-pistol

Love mine, although got it in 9mm. Most accurate handgun in my collection. Want another. Maybe in stainless, maybe in 45. Have two kids, and they each will eventually get a Colt 1911 from me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    What's your budget, MChief? You're going to get a lot of opinions!

For me, my Ruger SR1911 (no modifications and it's been great) is a winner. Not sure what the MSRP is now, but it's probably $700 or so? I always hear good things about the Rock Island GI models and the Remington R1s too, you can get nice, reliable pistols for not huge money from any of them.

I went with Ruger partly because it's US-made, not sure if that's a factor for you but there ya go...

Radio_Flyer

Jun 18, 2015
    As echo6mike said, look at the Ruger. I have the Lightweight Commander and it has shot everything I put in it, accurate, good carry piece and American made.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Regular 'ol SR1911 here. The most accurate handgun I've ever fired. No reliability issues shooting FMJ or JHP. Bought mine new in 2013 for $660 OTD.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for all the feedback. To answer the budget question - pretty much unlimited but I don't need a Custom Kimber or want to pay Kimber Custom prices.

To Boom Boom, I really don't want to have to buy a new gun and then have to send it out for addition work.

Made in the US is a definite requirement.

I love my Rock River AR. Does anyone have any experience with their 1911's?

Thanks again - please keep the feedback coming.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Another question - what are the 1911s to AVOID?

The rest of my handguns were a lot easier to pick out - Beretta and Glock in 9mm and Glock in .45 and S&W and Colt for revolvers.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Another question - what are the 1911s to AVOID?

The rest of my handguns were a lot easier to pick out - Beretta and Glock in 9mm and Glock in .45 and S&W and Colt for revolvers.

well if you want an authentic 1911, don't get a 1911 A1. :innocent0

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I own some Colts, Kimbers, Sigs and S&Ws 45 ACP but my best shooting 45 is a Charles Daley made in the Philippines. Nice gun always functions plus has never had a FTFeed or FTFire and that's after a few thousand rounds plus it was cheap at $400.00. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom