S&W 15-22 vs CMMG .22LR conversion kit...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Now that the immediate threat to our 2A has relaxed, I'm starting to consider diversifying my rifles/ calibers.

My philosophy has changed. With the exception of a .357 revolver and a 12 gauge, all my handguns are .40 and all my rifles and AR15s. I want to add 7.62X39, 30-06, .308, and .22

The 1st one I'm adding (less some unforeseen deal that pops up in my travels) is the 22. Clandestine, who has been bringing me up on the AR platform recommended the S&W 15-22.

That recommendation did get me wondering if there are conversion kits out there that may prove reliable and suitable. I like taking a plinker I have and bringing a greater function to the rifle by converting it to one of my desired new calibers to my collection. However, if the barrel twist rates through the accuracy off, or the mags and .22 BCG aren't reliable, I don't want to waste the money. I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have converted an AR to .22LR and if so, are you getting high round counts with no reliability issues? Also, what is your accuracy with the .223/5.56 barrel twists?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Now that the immediate threat to our 2A has relaxed, I'm starting to consider diversifying my rifles/ calibers.

My philosophy has changed. With the exception of a .357 revolver and a 12 gauge, all my handguns are .40 and all my rifles and AR15s. I want to add 7.62X39, 30-06, .308, and .22

The 1st one I'm adding (less some unforeseen deal that pops up in my travels) is the 22. Clandestine, who has been bringing me up on the AR platform recommended the S&W 15-22.

That recommendation did get me wondering if there are conversion kits out there that may prove reliable and suitable. I like taking a plinker I have and bringing a greater function to the rifle by converting it to one of my desired new calibers to my collection. However, if the barrel twist rates through the accuracy off, or the mags and .22 BCG aren't reliable, I don't want to waste the money. I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have converted an AR to .22LR and if so, are you getting high round counts with no reliability issues? Also, what is your accuracy with the .223/5.56 barrel twists?

I was initially thinking the same thing. Gary at High Rock gave the sage advice of NOT doing that, as you just wear down your barrel a lot more quickly. He recommended a dedicated .22 upper instead.

I just went and bought a 15-22, and called more need for a .22 caliber AR done.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Buy a complete upper in .22. That way you will use the same trigger and stock set up as usual.

I have the Chiappa that I bought for less than $250. Also available from Tactical Solutions, CMMG and a Black Dog. To name a few

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Depends on what you are doing. The CMMG conversion works reliably with good ammo, accuracy can be good, but it's filthy, and can clog up the gas system if you put a lot of 22 without some 5.56 to clean it out. The kit likes to be run wet with thin oil. My old 1-9 16" will give a good group, an inch or two at 25 yards, 1-8 18" SPR upper is a little better, 1-7 14.5"M4 is the worst, but still within 2-3". I use it to run my 3 gun rifle in steel challenge, or to practice on the dynamic handgun range at my club. So occasional use with 22, but 5.56 is primary, have other dedicated 22s for plinking, kids and fun. I can run a couple boxes.of minimags without a misfire, but after a few hundred I clean it out, lube it up, and fire a mag of 5.56 to blow out the gas system. If I wanted a casual plinker, or something where I would shoot mostly 22 instead of 5.56, then a dedicated 22 is better. Even a dedicated upper still leaves tour lower filthy and gritty.

The kit in action

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A vote for the 15-22 option.. I love mine, took it out today to do some subsonic ammo testing... it's a blast to shoot with a can. ;)

If you go the conversion route, get an adjustable gas block that you can shut off to prevent leading in the gas system.. and periodically run some full house 556/223 ammo to keep it clear and properly functioning.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      124.7 KB · Views: 560

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a cmmg.
    I can take any of my ARs to the indoor range.
    The twist rate is not good for the 22, but when shooting offhand at 25 yards, its not like it makes a huge difference for me.
    15-22 or a dedicated upper with the correct bore and twist rate will shoot better.
    I already have a 10/22 and a 795 (with tech sights) so I did not see the want for a 15-22

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    Everyone, I appreciate the input very much. Based on Chad's recommendation, I think if I was going to go the route of an upper, I'll just commit to a complete 15-22 and have something dedicated. Had hoped to make something more useful from this AR15 plinker I have, but the feedback isn't giving me confidence it will deliver the level of reliability and accuracy I'd want from the investment, rendering my idea useless.
    Again, very much appreciated.
    Carry on gents.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We're not totally dissing the idea of CMMG or similar conversion units. They have their place, such as occasional.22lr use from several ARs of various configurations.

What I'm interpeting from your initial post, you're looking for a primary/ only .22lr rifle. So an actual .22 rifle would be good for you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally I would go with a 15-22 or a dedicated upper versus a conversion kit.

The dedicated upper seem to be not that much more expensive than a conversion, and avoids any issues with your 5.56 upper.

And the 15-22 is a blast. I enjoy mine. :)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Personally I would go with a 15-22 or a dedicated upper versus a conversion kit.

The dedicated upper seem to be not that much more expensive than a conversion, and avoids any issues with your 5.56 upper.

And the 15-22 is a blast. I enjoy mine. :)

Agreed. as soon as I had mine, the conversion/dedicated upper idea went away.

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    We're not totally dissing the idea of CMMG or similar conversion units. They have their place, such as occasional.22lr use from several ARs of various configurations.

What I'm interpeting from your initial post, you're looking for a primary/ only .22lr rifle. So an actual .22 rifle would be good for you.

Yes. I'm looking for a dedicated .22 config. I didn't take anyone's contribution as a dis, one way or the other - just honest (and appreciated) feedback and to my eye the feedback is stating that for reliability and accuracy a conversion just can't deliver like a dedicated .22 rifle.

The only thing I'm seeing online at this point is that there is a standard 15-22 and performance center "match grade barrel" 15-22 (About twice the cost of a conventional 15-22). With a number of real AR15s the look of an AR15 on a 22 is no concern to me, especially if it is at the expense of accuracy. Chad has recommended a bolt .22 rifle if I didn't want to go 15-22, so I'm going to look at a few and see what that yields.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I have the DPMS bull barrel. I use the 25 round CMMG mags. The thing is very accurate and will eat almost any 22lr ammo. Golden bullet are the only rounds I have trouble with (they bend) everything else runs like a champ.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From the title of the thread, I was infering a desire to standardize on thr AR platform on purpose ( which could be a real decision). If instead, you are open to .22lr rifle systems on their own merits, by all means consider bolt actions and semiautos on their own platforms.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A well rounded gun safe should have a 15-22, a 10/22 (or several), and at least one bolt action .22.

I have the 15-22. I have what started as an original standard 10/22, of which little remains (action, bolt, trigger housing). And a CZ455 VPT bolt rifle. And a few others. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In contrast to what Clandestine said, the Appleseed Group has banned S&W 15-22s. There are several threads on it here on MD Shooters.

I've owned a Chiappa .22 upper. It works great when you run Mini-mags, but the instructions state to not run standard velocity .22 through it as it won't cycle properly, which was the case with my upper.

I'm planning on picking up the CMMG conversion, to run with a future upper I'm picking up, which will have the slow twist rate of the original M-16. I may remove the gas tube before running the conversion.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    .22 conversion kit is fine for a cheap AR, or a cheap AR upper. I sure as heck wouldn't put the conversion kit into a quality upper. Better to invest in separate platforms.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You can also buy a CMMG conversion kit, use it, and later on build it into a dedicated .22 upper without much problem. Generally when you buy a AR-22 dedicated barrel they often come with the correct barrel block to convert a CMMG bolt to dedicated AR-22 use. At least the barrels from Taccom come that way which is what I used. Then all you need is an upper and a handguard. You can use your charging handle and the CMMG mags.

Race AR22.jpg

Top is a competition 15-22 the lower is a competition AR-22.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    For my indoor range plinker I run a CMMG conversion kit on a AR pistol with a Palmetto 10.5" Nitride barrel + 8" Form 1 suppressor. CMMG magazines and M&P 15-22 magazines work fine. I remove the suppressor and flush the gas tube with a magazine of .223. Last upgrade was a Geissele SD3G trigger. Don't forget the McFaden lightning loader with the 15-22 adapter for quick loading of magazines. :)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got to thinking. If I get a rifle with a 1 in 12" or 14" twist rate, wouldn't that make for a more accurate .22 rimfire barrel? I'm looking at getting an A1 upper, which has the slower twist rate. It would be kind of cool to shoot Steel Challenge with an M-16 looking rifle while shooting .22 LR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom