• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I live in the Free Zone and am dying for an AK. I sold mine in the past like an idiot. I just want a Polish underfolder and am in talks with a maker but it just doesn't seem to be coming together for one reason or another. I want a plinker, that has that Polish furniture look to it. I don't really care about it being a tack driver and I want nothing tactical on it. The only criteria is that I just want an AK that looks EXACTLY like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...hVHhlQKHbY1BGQQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=cfyrVTWmAXTveM:

Any suggestions?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Well, unless you are stuck on a Radom specifically--as far as AKs go all underfolders are all pretty similar with the exception of Yugoslavians. Swap the furniture out if needed to get the look you want.

Atlantic offers a few of different flavors. Personally I find that Hi Standard with bakelite furniture damn sexy but I can't vouch for build quality... they are new to me.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Well, unless you are stuck on a Radom specifically--as far as AKs go all underfolders are all pretty similar with the exception of Yugoslavians. Swap the furniture out if needed to get the look you want.

Atlantic offers a few of different flavors. Personally I find that Hi Standard with bakelite furniture damn sexy but I can't vouch for build quality... they are new to me.

They do look damn good. I just don't like how their finish is more of a grey than black. (if im remembering correctly)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just like the AR's, I'll say this - Build it yourself. Get with someone that has the equipment, and go for it. :thumbsup:

I have a whole new understanding of the '47 now that I've got mine done (Future Form 1).

63D-AMD65 Build 6.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Just like the AR's, I'll say this - Build it yourself. Get with someone that has the equipment, and go for it. :thumbsup:

I have a whole new understanding of the '47 now that I've got mine done (Future Form 1).

View attachment 191356

Been reading up on it and I see that Palmetto has kits. You can get barreled already headspaced actions, and just build it like an AR lower. I need to get on there to see if there are any underfolder kits. Thanks!

Anyone have any lines on complete rifles? If I can just be one and done I'll do that. Otherwise I'm strongly considering building.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Get a DDI underfolder. I think they've been sold out, you may have to find it second hand. The only really noticeable differences with the Hungarian AKMS is that both the gas block and gas tube are vented, and the lower handguard retainer ring is shaped a bit differently. Just drop in Polish furniture. You can modify the lower handguard to fit easily.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    The polish underfolder you want appears to be a century arms built gun. You may have to buy it second hand. Century buys kits in bulk and then builds guns until the kits are used up. After that the model is discontinued unless more kits come in.

Be careful with century, you can get nice ones or you can get some that are not so nice. The most common problem is canted front sights.

As bradmacc said, when you build one, you can get exactly what you want.

Eta: if you're in the free zone and want a quick build look at a Childers receiver and an arms of America headspaced and populated kit. You'll pay more than a scratch build but you can put it together in an hour or two.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The polish underfolder you want appears to be a century arms built gun. You may have to buy it second hand. Century buys kits in bulk and then builds guns until the kits are used up. After that the model is discontinued unless more kits come in.

Be careful with century, you can get nice ones or you can get some that are not so nice. The most common problem is canted front sights.

As bradmacc said, when you build one, you can get exactly what you want.

Eta: if you're in the free zone and want a quick build look at a Childers receiver and an arms of America headspaced and populated kit. You'll pay more than a scratch build but you can put it together in an hour or two.

That's the way I would do it if I built it. One of the already barreled receivers and a parts kit. Is that something I can do with no tools? I don't know how to headspace and the only gun tools I really have are the punches I used to do an AR and some M1A stuff.

Edit: just saw where you said they're already headspaced

As far as Century, I have had outstanding luck with the one century product I currently own, a C93 Sporter. I have heard the horror stories of the canted AKs.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    If you need a AK Guru I'd suggest Dugan Ashley. This is one of his instructional videos:

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Midway had really nice Polish underfolder parts kits from some Navy guns that were chopped up. Not sure if still in stock. I would have grabbed a set but there's no point as long as I live here

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    That's the way I would do it if I built it. One of the already barreled receivers and a parts kit. Is that something I can do with no tools? I don't know how to headspace and the only gun tools I really have are the punches I used to do an AR and some M1A stuff.

Edit: just saw where you said they're already headspaced

As far as Century, I have had outstanding luck with the one century product I currently own, a C93 Sporter. I have heard the horror stories of the canted AKs.

Even a headspaced kit will require a barrel press, and trunion rivets set, but there is far less involved than populating a barrel. You have to press the barrel out to properly set two of the front trunion rivets. Some will tell you that the rivets can be bucked on the barrel, but I've never tried it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Even a headspaced kit will require a barrel press, and trunion rivets set, but there is far less involved than populating a barrel. You have to press the barrel out to properly set two of the front trunion rivets. Some will tell you that the rivets can be bucked on the barrel, but I've never tried it.

Someone on AKF had a parts kit (he built it up) of an export model Chinese AK that had the rivets shot against the barrel.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    It really depends on what you want to spend. a kit is going to be anywhere from $350-$500 depending on the kit, barrel $160 plus $120 for receiver. If you are wiling to wait a bit I have a guy I know with a bunch of crate fresh Polish AK's but DOD gets first crack at them.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009

It's not hard, but not tinkertoy simple like an AR.

AK-Builder used to sell headspaced, populated US barrel kits. There are original UF kits with barrels intact still out there, but even the Romanians have gotten crazy expensive. Those are the easy options.

Anything can be pieced together. It's an AK. Get a Polish kit and a virgin barrel and enjoy the journey if that's what you want. Just be prepared to learn along the way. :party29:

The easy route is, just buy what you want. Or something close to it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Thanks again everyone. Im really considering building but if something local pops up at a good price I might snag it. Hell I'm open to buying a 74 and building a 47. I've never had a 74....

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Yea I know this thread is a few weeks old,but I didn't want to start a new one. Since were talking about AK Gurus here maybe someone can answer my question :D Can anyone quote where it says you can't add a bullet guide to 5.45 VEPR?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Can anyone quote where it says you can't add a bullet guide to 5.45 VEPR?

Ignoring MD laws for the moment, Fed laws say you can't assemble a firearm with more than 10 imported parts without taking into account 922(r). Due to a very poor choice of language, just about anything can be considered "assembly".

People have taken this to mean: adding a bullet guide without otherwise complying with 922(r) is illegal because it's both: 1) assembly, and 2) moves the rifle towards being compatible with standard military mags. Countries manufacturing AK-pattern sporting rifles for import have typically restricted the magwell size, or left out the bullet guide, usually combined with a modified mag latch. These tactics make the use of military mags impossible or unreliable without modifying the rifle, the mag or both. The BATFE has repeatedly stated that assembling a sporting rifle approved for import into a configuration not legal for import triggers 922(r) compliance.

Regarding MD law, you also have to comply with the "copy" rule. Modifying a firearm to make it identical to one that is illegal for sale violates the 2013 law. Adding a bullet guide is one small part that pushes it towards a true copy.

Is it explicitly illegal under either Fed or MD law? No. No one can point you to a statute that expressly says adding a bullet guide is illegal. Even the court cases involving 922(r) are almost nonexistent. YMMV.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    So we can configure it as long as it meets 922(R)? The weird thing is Veprs in .308,30.06, 7.62x54R along with Zastava M90NP are legal and updated on the new MD rifle roster, but the 5.45 was probably intentionally left out because they don't even know. Take th flash suppressor off and it'll only meet 2 of the "evil" features so that wouldn't make it a "copy cat" weapon. The biggest question is has anyone ever been charged for owning a 5.45 AK post FSA 2013?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom