• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oj Baltimore

Jul 19, 2016
    Do you find yourself youtube searching for VZ58 videos?
    Are you curious about the latest VZ2008 accessories?
    Do you just need to hear someone shoot that economically sound round?
    Do you need to see some VZ 58/ VZ 2008 pics?

Well this is the right place for the enthusiast who loves their Czech made rifle. Post something, anything about a VZ 58 / VZ 2008, and guess what? We'll read it, and enjoy it. Im linking my favorite VZ58 VZ 2008 video...please watch this classically timeless intro.
    All brands of VZ are acceptable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J33CQILPPjs

FYI, I know this should have been posted in "Rifles", my bad.

Last edited:

Oj Baltimore

Jul 19, 2016
    This is NOT an AK forum!
    2378093_01_century_vz2008_sporter_7_62x39_640.jpg

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I just had my first malfunction with my VZ2008 today and I suspect it was ammo related. It has run flawlessly for two years with any ammo I fed it.

This morning, after about 30 rounds over a period of 40 minutes it failed to extract and eject a Red Army round. The extractor ripped a chunk out of the rim and left the shell in the chamber. I didn't have the means to free it with me at AGC, but a wooden dowel and one strike with a hammer fixed it at home.

There was no obvious deformation of the shell. Maybe heat was a factor. I fired groups of five rounds. The bad one was the first round of what would have been shots 31-35.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Hollow points wont feed into my VZ on the first round. I start all of my mags with ball ammo. Then the HPs feed fine after that....... Funny huh?

Attachments

• vz.jpg
      vz.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 933

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I just had my first malfunction with my VZ2008 today and I suspect it was ammo related. It has run flawlessly for two years with any ammo I fed it.

This morning, after about 30 rounds over a period of 40 minutes it failed to extract and eject a Red Army round. The extractor ripped a chunk out of the rim and left the shell in the chamber. I didn't have the means to free it with me at AGC, but a wooden dowel and one strike with a hammer fixed it at home.

There was no obvious deformation of the shell. Maybe heat was a factor. I fired groups of five rounds. The bad one was the first round of what would have been shots 31-35.

I had the same malfunction with my vz2008 with the first shot from a full mag. The rifle had had a few thousand rounds through it at that time, and another couple thousand since. It's the only failure I've ever had with it.

I don't recall the brand of ammo, but do remember that I had topped off the mag with a loose round that I had noticed rolling around in the bottom of my range bag.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    A couple D-Technik VZ58's in both black and the original grey:

The VZ58 is my favorite rifle; reliable, handy and efficient. But then, they ARE Czech. Why would you expect anything less?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A couple D-Technik VZ58's in both black and the original grey:

The VZ58 is my favorite rifle; reliable, handy and efficient. But then, they ARE Czech. Why would you expect anything less?
    Sexy pic.

What advantages do you feel they have over an AK-47 by a quality manufacturer? (aside from AK-47s in non pistol or SBR forms not being available in MD)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    What advantages do you feel they have over an AK-47 by a quality manufacturer?

The biggest issue that affects BOTH the AK and VZ design are the sights, the rear is mounted so far forward that it really cuts into the sight radius, ability to acquire quickly, and the practical accuracy that both guns are capable of.

The VZ has a last round bolt hold open which is nice.

It also has a lot less mass moving back and forth due to the short stroke piston design. I have never shot one on full auto but on an AK it's really noticeable, you can feel it rocking back and forth. Major improvement IMO.

Ergonomically the VZ is a little better with its more traditional safety.

Internally they are VERY different, really they share almost nothing in common except the 7.62x39 round. They feel very interchangeable though, particularly the rock and lock mag latch design, and I do enjoy shooting them as much as any AK.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    outside of magazine capacity, I have seen nothing in the VZ2008 which wants me to get one over the SKS I already have at the price the VZ2008 are approaching now. If they were gotten in a gun shop for the $600-$700 range sure, but not what they are selling for and how hard to find. My SKS I don't recall ever having any feed or ejection issues from all the cheap wolf and tulamo I have fed it.
    You can do a hi cap mag upgrade if you get one out of state anyway.
    If one was staring me in the face for $650, I'd jump on it though (provided it has a warranty)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The biggest issue that affects BOTH the AK and VZ design are the sights, the rear is mounted so far forward that it really cuts into the sight radius, ability to acquire quickly, and the practical accuracy that both guns are capable of.

The VZ has a last round bolt hold open which is nice.

It also has a lot less mass moving back and forth due to the short stroke piston design. I have never shot one on full auto but on an AK it's really noticeable, you can feel it rocking back and forth. Major improvement IMO.

Ergonomically the VZ is a little better with its more traditional safety.

Internally they are VERY different, really they share almost nothing in common except the 7.62x39 round. They feel very interchangeable though, particularly the rock and lock mag latch design, and I do enjoy shooting them as much as any AK.
    Thanks. Very illuminating.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The VZ also has a lot in common with the SKS--particularly the gas system.

I got hooked back when the vz2008s were $399 from Century. Parts have never been as common for the VZ and we're likely to never see cheap ones again but who knows? I'd agree that there is no significant improvement over an AK for the cost difference. But regardless, it's a cool design--from the milled receiver to the lack of rivets it feels like the AKs classier cousin.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I keep my VZ-2008 next to my bed loaded with the bayonet fixed. I figure if someone breaks into my house at night and they see a fat naked man running at them screaming with a 30 round mag and bayonet they will haul ass away and I won't have to shoot anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom