• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    My 10-22 takedown is kinda finicky about ammo... Basically, anything cheap by Remington does not work well - FTF on every 20th round no matter if it's the rotary on banana mags. S no green boxes for me. OTOH Federal AutoMatch 40gr works extremely well, never had a problem, that's all I buy now. PSA w/o shipping ends up an ok deal.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have a box of Armscor you need to try a few rounds from. Apparently a dud batch; must be just that batch. Made me shy of ever buying it again.

Sounds like it. Both of my Marlin 795s love it, shoots fine out of my .22 pistols too.

The .22 AR upper doesn't love it; once out of every 3 mags or so a round will fail to push the bolt back far enough to reset the trigger. But I can't recall a single failure to fire with it yet, unlike some of the "cheap" .22.

I'm probably partial to it because it's made in the Philippines though... :D

I remember Automatch being decent but it's been forever since I've actually seen it on shelves, so I end up ordering the same stuff over and over again now.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    It depends on the gun.
    My Martini does well with Green Tag and Eley Target
    My Kimber likes Eley Target the best so far (but I still gets fliers)
    Green Tag is the BRNO's favorite
    My S&W 15-22 chokes the least on Federal Auto-Match
    The only other .22 that I am ammo specific with is my Mod. 41 S&W, that gets CCI Standard velocity.

I want to try some R50, Tenex, and CenterX but just can't bring myself to spend $20 on a box of .22's.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I want to try some R50, Tenex, and CenterX but just can't bring myself to spend $20 on a box of .22's.

If you're not running it thru an $800+ gun, its probaby not worth it anyway. When you're trying to bring a $1,000 gun with a $1,000 scope down from .5moa to .25moa ... its not much moola at all.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    CCI mini mags & Winchester super X. Very similar to each other and not one ftf out of my 1522 with either.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Federal std. vel. "Target" in my BRNO #2.
    Federal Gold Ultra Match, an old lot from 16 years ago, in my Winchester M52, Springfield M1922M2, BSA M12/15. Three bricks left, and I'll cry when it's gone. RWS R50 about as good, as is certain lots of Eley Tenex.

Whatever is on sale, for tin can plinking with an assortment of Marlins and Mossbergs.

An old target shooter gave me the advice that if you want the best chance at bug hole ammo from a maker you haven't tried before, mic the bullet diameters and if you find some that's .225", try them and be prepared to go back and buy all they have.

I have a couple bricks of old W-W Mark III ammo from the 60's that is absolutely wonderful, too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    CCI Standard is my go-to. My second favorite is Armscor.

When asking this question, there are a few things to consider:
    1) Consistency. The more you pay for .22, generally the more consistent is. Cheap .22 loads will include fliers and failures to fire.
    2) Different guns like different stuff. 22s guns are fickle and different loads and tolerances will work for some guns and not others. Figure out what each gun likes/shoots well.
    3) Rifles and handguns have unique needs due to the blowback required to reset each firearm.

Especially this. Each firearm is different and even two of the same model will like different ammo.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have had no issues with Federal Automatch. It is my new best friend.

Runs in my 10/22s, runs in my 15/22, runs in my daughters Savage bolt.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom