• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sitting at home in my blind hoping the corn brings them in. It has brought all the squirrels to my yard. Might have squirrel stew tomorrow for dinner. Save some more corn for the deer.

I heard 2 shots between first light and 1:30 when I called it quits, went to TSC for some chicken feed and deer corn and went home.

Sat in my hang-on for an hour and then moved to a pop-up blind.

First time trying a hang-on. Not scared of heights. Made me scared of heights. I think I need one with a bigger platform, arm rest and a ground to stand safety line. Felt like I was going to trip any time I stood up (I’ve got big feet and I am wearing rubber boots) and the wind felt like it was going to knock me over.

Any suggestions? Prefer not to break the bank. But also would like something that feels as secure as it can be. Climbing sticks and a climbing strap don’t bother me. Even hanging the blasted thing didn’t bother me. Sitting in it was no good.

My climber makes me feel nice and secure. Only time I get dizzy at all is if I lean out too far to take a piss to not dribble on the stand.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Millennium M150, happen to be sitting in one right now. Nice size platform and can get a shooting rail separate. I like the hanging method as cuts down on trying to hold and secure at same time.

Have not seen a thing, nor heard a shot down here at the club which is unusual for Friday evening early muzzle.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Sitting at home in my blind hoping the corn brings them in. It has brought all the squirrels to my yard. Might have squirrel stew tomorrow for dinner. Save some more corn for the deer.

I heard 2 shots between first light and 1:30 when I called it quits, went to TSC for some chicken feed and deer corn and went home.

Sat in my hang-on for an hour and then moved to a pop-up blind.

First time trying a hang-on. Not scared of heights. Made me scared of heights. I think I need one with a bigger platform, arm rest and a ground to stand safety line. Felt like I was going to trip any time I stood up (I’ve got big feet and I am wearing rubber boots) and the wind felt like it was going to knock me over.

Any suggestions? Prefer not to break the bank. But also would like something that feels as secure as it can be. Climbing sticks and a climbing strap don’t bother me. Even hanging the blasted thing didn’t bother me. Sitting in it was no good.

My climber makes me feel nice and secure. Only time I get dizzy at all is if I lean out too far to take a piss to not dribble on the stand.

I have a climber but have never used it. I'm scared that I'll have an accident and noone with find me until it's too late. I'd use a safety line. I already have the line made up. Maybe I'll use it in the next couple of weeks.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Humidity was bad. A little better today. Had a button buck blowing at what I think was a larger spike harassing him. That was it. W their winter coats coming in that humidity probably sucks for them too. Need some cooler weather for this. Didn't hear a single shot all morning which is really unusual for this area.

We're going to get the deep freeze with snow this weekend so I'd watch what I wish for. LOL!

The bucks should be on the move though and it might bode well for the rut here.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I know how you feel and tonight I"ve had enough. 8 were at the corn eating up until dusk. Saturday after I make breakfast I plan to go down to the stand and take some out. I have not seen a deer on the camera in the morning so I'll go out to take out the tree rats about 8.

I had fawns show up at about 20 minutes after sunset. by the time they crossed the creek onto my property it was almost end of hunt. I saw the big doe across and by the time it crossed I was out of time and totally out of light. I was not in the stand (been toting a bow lately) cause the wind was in the wrong direction and good thing as I likely would have spooked the does. I had the ML about 70 yards away. They hung around so long I"d have had to pee in my pants if I was still in the stand waiting for them to leave.

I usually plan my hunts around Solunar peaks and prior years, my success rate was like 2 hunts to 1 harvest. Tonight was not an entirely great timing but had I owned the property across the creek, I"d be on my way to the Butcher right now. Working from home, its much easier to finish work early and jump in the stand and work again more that night.

I"ll be out again Saturday evening.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Millennium M150, happen to be sitting in one right now. Nice size platform and can get a shooting rail separate. I like the hanging method as cuts down on trying to hold and secure at same time.

Have not seen a thing, nor heard a shot down here at the club which is unusual for Friday evening early muzzle.

Thanks!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus shoots, Lazarus scores!

Yup. Nice doe. She came in last following a bigger doe and the worlds smallest fawn. She left basically no blood trail, but right through the heart and lower lungs. Piled up 50yds away just out of sight from the edge of the woods.

Going to try to get on a big buck next. Reasons make November iffy. I want to process my own, so maybe it’s a good excuse (can’t go to the butcher in November basically). Anyway, I’ve got at least one nice buck on a camera that’s only been up a day. At 4:30am unfortunately, but I imagine he’ll go daylight in a week or two.

All the pictures.

Morning view. Evening view. Future dinner (some day soon)

Bolt zipped through her, hit a root and buried itself a fraction from the fletchings.

Attachments

• F95A0C7C-41B2-46A3-82CC-6F19223561C8.jpg
      F95A0C7C-41B2-46A3-82CC-6F19223561C8.jpg
      99.5 KB · Views: 242
    • 7743B9E0-81CA-4786-9D9E-3ABB432844AB.jpg
      7743B9E0-81CA-4786-9D9E-3ABB432844AB.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 246
    • 7AE051F0-430D-44CE-A9A6-1BE6B677866A.jpg
      7AE051F0-430D-44CE-A9A6-1BE6B677866A.jpg
      79.7 KB · Views: 249
    • 1B742798-705D-4ED5-AA8A-B545DCA89DA7.jpg
      1B742798-705D-4ED5-AA8A-B545DCA89DA7.jpg
      114.7 KB · Views: 251

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Interesting night tonight for me. As I was heading to the spot I'd decided to hunt at I saw several really big deer in a cornfield. There had been one last night. I had been meaning to try to hunt this field sometime but I've found that a lot of these cornfields are private property and the owners don't want just anyone hunting on them. My nephew said someone shot at him when he tried to hunt on one of them.

Pretty funny, huh? I'm a tribal member hunting on my tribe's own reservation and I could get shot trying to hunt on it.

I had stopped at a farmhouse next to the field twice earlier in the day but noone seemed to be at home. I just want to ask if it's OK to hunt there. If not then big deal. There's lots of other places to hunt. I saw someone hunting there last year so it may be OK. One of the deer looks like a huge doe or it may be a buck.

The spot I went to was a waste of time but I saw a deer running away from the cornfield next to it so I had to see if it went there every night.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you’ve tried a couple of times, what about leaving a note? Out of curiosity, is it supposed to be all tribal land owned by the tribe? Or are some of the properties owned by tribal members (or non-tribal members) as personal real estate? Anyone in the tribal government you can ask?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yesterday morning at Monocacy was a dud. Nothing seen anywhere. One or two shots way far north of me well after the fog burned off, so I think they may have been unloading before calling it a day. No movement, no sign, too hot.

Evening came around and I was trying to get up to one of the small fields on the bluff by Dr. Belt Rd so I'd be close to the car and maybe see something come in off the fields, but by the time I got near the creek at the base, I ran into a line of hunters all watching the creek that was a couple-hundred yards long. I didn't want to messing things up for them by tromping on out in front of them so close to the twilight hours that I hunkered down and stayed put thinking maybe they knew something I didn't. Sure enough right around 5:30 I hear one shot..... from the edge of the field on top of the bluff where I was trying to go. Meanwhile, down on the creek there was nothing. Ugh.

I may go out early Monday morning or late monday evening to see if I can't catch some movement now that it will cool down. It's doe only then, but I need something for the freezer, not something for the wall.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Filled my tag this morning. Was actually thinking about bagging this morning as I hadn’t seen much activity Thursday and Friday.
    AD3CD0EA-84BF-477A-ADC6-A1282FD03E06.jpg

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Deer didn’t seem to be moving much today, but my son was able to get a doe this morning around 9:00 this morning. His 1st deer of the season, and some meat for the freezer!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Very interesting evening!

I decided to put off trying the spot I saw deer at last night. I'll ask the people at the house first. There was a deer feeding in the field when I drove by about a half hour before sundown.

I wanted to play another hunch about another spot. I saw 4 does run out of the big stand of woods the other night and wanted sit near a smaller patch of woods in the direction they were headed. The wind was coming out of the east kind of hard so they wouldn't catch my scent too easily. As I was walking to the corner of the patch of woods I jumped a couple of does that were bedding right where I meant to make my stand. One of them went out into the field and stopped. She acted like she was unsure if I was a threat or not and stood broadside watching me. I could've had her with an easy 40 yard shot. I wanted to use my Remington 700 30-06 and put her in my scope but let her go. She turned and went across the field into the big patch of woods. The other one was waiting near the small patch and ran into the patch when I came around the corner.

I set up and put my binocs on the big stand of woods. It was after sundown now and after a few minutes I saw about 5 deer come out of the woods over there. They milled around the edge for about 5 minutes then 4 of them came right towards me. They hesitated about halfway then came right at me.

I know most of you don't believe in the HECS suit claims but I had mine on. Last week I was sitting in another spot and a doe came out with her fawn and went over a hill out of sight but came running back over the hill for some reason right in my direction. I thought she was going to run over me. She ran past and must've caught my scent then ran back down the hill in front of me and stopped.

This time the buck and three does were coming at me fast and probably weren't concerned with me. Again I thought they might run right over me. The buck came closest and was about 5 yards to me left. They were headed to a plowed cornfield about a half block behind me to browse for the night. I could've shot the buck but he was only a 6 pointer. We have a problem with guys coming from out of state and taking these young bucks before they can get big. The guys have to pay about 800 dollars so they shoot whatever buck they can in the limited time they have.

Another 3 does came out of the big stand of trees and I could've any one of them also. None were huge though so I'll wait.

Nice to have a spot you can depend on.

PS: I wanted to add that I was sitting on the edge of the wood line when the deer ran toward me. I wasn't in tall grass or brush and not concealed at all. I just wasn't out in the cornfield. I wasn't in a groundblind or anything like that. I was just sitting on a hunting stool with my rifle butt in my lap and the stock resting on a bipod. I was glassing the deer with my binocs and the deer had to be able to see me but they weren't concerned.

Also when I went to leave the spot there was another doe and it's fawn between me and the road. Could've had that one too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom