• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Interview is scheduled for this week. Is that a good sign. Only been 50ish days

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Wow, it took that long to get your interview scheduled? I believe my interview was completed after about 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

stokes8718

Jun 1, 2013
    KI
    Wow, it took that long to get your interview scheduled? I believe my interview was completed after about 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I applied june 3ish. check was cashed june 29th and just got the interview call yesterday. I dont know what that means but i like it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    How to apply for a Carry Permit in the State of Maryland:

Step 1 - Find your nearest toilet.
    Step 2 - Place $100 in crisp bills into the toilet.
    Step 3 - Pull the toilet handle.
    Step 4 - Move to PA where you can have a carry permit in 15 minutes.

The End. Sorry, sad but true.

Scarab

stokes8718

Jun 1, 2013
    KI
    How to apply for a Carry Permit in the State of Maryland:

Step 1 - Find your nearest toilet.
    Step 2 - Place $100 in crisp bills into the toilet.
    Step 3 - Pull the toilet handle.
    Step 4 - Move to PA where you can have a carry permit in 15 minutes.

The End. Sorry, sad but true.

Scarab
    100??? try over 400 to date

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    My experience with the Maryland Carry Permit process.

Sorry this is long but I’m putting this out there so people can learn from my experiences and the realities of getting a Maryland CCW permit and what to expect through the process. I wish I had found this site before I began but I hope this can help others.

First, DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER CLAIMING TO GET YOU A CCW PERMIT. They charge thousands of dollars, the service is terrible and you can do it yourself. Even the Maryland State Police (MSP) recommends you doing it yourself. Call one of the barracks doing the interviews and they will tell you the same thing.

These permit attorneys will tell you anything to get your money, DON’T PAY THEM. I’ll post the information for free if anyone wants it. You will need to do 95% of the work yourself anyway and an attorney will only slow things down. In the end, an attorney has no influence on you getting a permit no matter what the attorney says. Again, ask the MSP.

Second, be realistic from the beginning if you even qualify for a permit. Yes, it stinks but Maryland laws are Maryland laws. If you have any serious convictions, drug convictions, history of mental disorders, history of domestic abuse or history of violence, don’t waste your time! See the website for “Who Should Apply?” http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Finally, the MSP is not trying to prevent anyone who is qualified from getting a permit. They have been nothing but helpful, honest and straightforward through the process. The MSP is slammed with permit applications and have few resources to process applications. You must make sure all information is complete and accurate or it will slow the approval process.

My interview last month with the MSP took about 30 minutes and it likely took longer than they would have liked. When I left, there were three others already waiting to be interviewed and behind schedule. Be 100% honest on your history during the interview. They will ask about drug use (I was honest about marijuana from college) but if you do drugs now, don’t bother applying for a carry permit. You need to renew your permit every two or three years anyway and frankly it will catch up to you.

You will need to disclose any arrests or criminal charges during the interview. If you try to hide them, they have the information anyway and deception will disqualify you from getting a permit. They even had my first traffic ticket from when I was 18 years old. If you have to lie, don’t apply.

They will ask if you take any medications and will want to know the names of those medications. If you are on any antidepressants, sleep medications or other medications classified as a schedule IV controlled substance, you will need a letter from your doctor stating your medications will not impact you wearing a gun. If your doctor won’t give you a letter, don’t waste your time applying for the permit.

You must have a good and substantial reason to carry a firearm. Simply working or traveling in a high crime area does not qualify so don’t waste your time. For my case, the only reason I qualify is because I’m a business owners who does bank transactions. Cash transactions are no longer necessary and depositing checks are fine. I also had two threats to my life in the past but since the threats are not ongoing, I won’t likely get an unrestricted permit, yeah go figure. Basically I’ll only be able to carry for work. I can appeal this but who knows. The MSP will ask what gun you plan on carrying.

My costs to date:
    Attorney (NOT RECOMMENDED): $2,500.00
    16 Hour Firearms Training: $1,000.00 (Did private instructions, could have done much cheaper in a class for $300.00 - $400.00) my trainer was topnotch however!
    Fingerprints and Passport Photo: $64.50
    HQL: $50.00
    MSP Initial Fee: $75.00
    Handgun, holster and accessories: $800.00
    Total Costs to Date: $4,489.50

I could have saved $3,100.00 - $3,200.00 if I had to do it over again. I’m an idiot! If anyone has any questions, just ask!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Sorry this is long but I’m putting this out there so people can learn from my experiences and the realities of getting a Maryland CCW permit and what to expect through the process. I wish I had found this site before I began but I hope this can help others.

First, DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER CLAIMING TO GET YOU A CCW PERMIT. They charge thousands of dollars, the service is terrible and you can do it yourself. Even the Maryland State Police (MSP) recommends you doing it yourself. Call one of the barracks doing the interviews and they will tell you the same thing.

These permit attorneys will tell you anything to get your money, DON’T PAY THEM. I’ll post the information for free if anyone wants it. You will need to do 95% of the work yourself anyway and an attorney will only slow things down. In the end, an attorney has no influence on you getting a permit no matter what the attorney says. Again, ask the MSP.

Second, be realistic from the beginning if you even qualify for a permit. Yes, it stinks but Maryland laws are Maryland laws. If you have any serious convictions, drug convictions, history of mental disorders, history of domestic abuse or history of violence, don’t waste your time! See the website for “Who Should Apply?” http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Finally, the MSP is not trying to prevent anyone who is qualified from getting a permit. They have been nothing but helpful, honest and straightforward through the process. The MSP is slammed with permit applications and have few resources to process applications. You must make sure all information is complete and accurate or it will slow the approval process.

My interview last month with the MSP took about 30 minutes and it likely took longer than they would have liked. When I left, there were three others already waiting to be interviewed and behind schedule. Be 100% honest on your history during the interview. They will ask about drug use (I was honest about marijuana from college) but if you do drugs now, don’t bother applying for a carry permit. You need to renew your permit every two or three years anyway and frankly it will catch up to you.

You will need to disclose any arrests or criminal charges during the interview. If you try to hide them, they have the information anyway and deception will disqualify you from getting a permit. They even had my first traffic ticket from when I was 18 years old. If you have to lie, don’t apply.

They will ask if you take any medications and will want to know the names of those medications. If you are on any antidepressants, sleep medications or other medications classified as a schedule IV controlled substance, you will need a letter from your doctor stating your medications will not impact you wearing a gun. If your doctor won’t give you a letter, don’t waste your time applying for the permit.

You must have a good and substantial reason to carry a firearm. Simply working or traveling in a high crime area does not qualify so don’t waste your time. For my case, the only reason I qualify is because I’m a business owners who does bank transactions. Cash transactions are no longer necessary and depositing checks are fine. I also had two threats to my life in the past but since the threats are not ongoing, I won’t likely get an unrestricted permit, yeah go figure. Basically I’ll only be able to carry for work. I can appeal this but who knows. The MSP will ask what gun you plan on carrying.

My costs to date:

Attorney (NOT RECOMMENDED):$2,500.00

16 Hour Firearms Training: $1,000.00 (Did private instructions, could have done much cheaper in a class for $300.00 - $400.00) my trainer was topnotch however!

Fingerprints and Passport Photo: $64.50

HQL: $50.00

MSP Initial Fee: $75.00

Handgun, holster and accessories: $800.00

Total Costs to Date: $4,489.50

I could have saved $3,100.00 - $3,200.00 if I had to do it over again. I’m an idiot! If anyone has any questions, just ask!

Welcome to Maryland Shooters and congratulations on your first post.

I'm glad you, unlike others in the past, found working with the MSP helpful, honest and straight forward. That means MSP is improving - and we hope their efforts continue.

I don't recall a post recommending a lawyer to assist or guarantee an application, but perhaps I missed it.

I also note that one may apply online for, and receive an HQL without charge, fingerprinting or additional training immediately AFTER they receive their Maryland Handgun Permit.

Finally, another good reference is MarylandShallIssue.org's wiki page on MHP's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I didn't read a post here recommending a lawyer as I didn't find this site until after I went through the process. Hiring an attorney was recommended to me at a gun shop. I believe the site you posted also listed some recommendations for attorneys however. I'm just hoping to help others from making the same costly mistakes. Thank you,

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    First, DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER CLAIMING TO GET YOU A CCW PERMIT. They charge thousands of dollars, the service is terrible and you can do it yourself.

My costs to date:
    Attorney (NOT RECOMMENDED): $2,500.00

What was the attorney's involvement? Simply advising you on filling out the forms or did they represent you before the HPRB?

Care to say who you used?

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    What was the attorney's involvement? Simply advising you on filling out the forms or did they represent you before the HPRB?

Care to say who you used?

No involvement with review board, wasn't needed. As incompetent as they are with basis tasks, I can't imagine them representing me in a legal capacity.

I'll tell people who I used privately but outing publicly is not my intent. My only agenda is to warn others not to waste money obtaining a permit and my experience with the process.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    My experience using an attorney for the entire process was exceptional, both for the initial application and for having the restrictions removed. I would have made numerous mistakes without the assistance of someone who has been through the process in Maryland.

Jano

Jul 11, 2016
    I read that it is next to impossible to get a concealed permit unless you are badly beaten and then you need a police report of the beating. anybody here get theirs without getting beat up twice and have proof of it.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I read the tooth fairy will bring me $1 for every tooth I leave under my pillow. Is it true?

http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?title=Maryland_Handgun_Permit

Clickied on your linky. Although a fascinating tidbit of history, I'm confused a little on the bolded portion's relevance to the subject at hand. ;)

Without a permit, Lawful Transport in Maryland is unloaded and restricted. Lawful carry in Maryland is only permitted under certain circumstances. Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Clickied on your linky. Although a fascinating tidbit of history, I'm confused a little on the bolded portion's relevance to the subject at hand. ;)

It's appears to be placeholder text. MSI members can crowd source edit and fix it.

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    Brother just got me a handgun for Christmas. Im a MI state resident, however, active duty military living on Fort Meade. Gun is registered in MI. Should I even bother trying to apply for a wear and carry permit?

thumbert

Mar 23, 2015
    SOMD
    Brother just got me a handgun for Christmas. Im a MI state resident, however, active duty military living on Fort Meade. Gun is registered in MI. Should I even bother trying to apply for a wear and carry permit?

You military police? If not don't bother

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom