• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Left work early for a dentist appointment. Teeth are good to go! Now to make use of this beutiful day at the range! See you there Brad.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Had fun shooting with Mdeng today, got there before 1 and had to wait an hour for a table, but people were good about peeling off after their hour was up.

Some minor ass-hattery, but nothing beyond reproach IMO. We got to annoy Yogi by showering him with 7.62x39 brass from 2 tables away, good times. :D

Finally got to get some trigger time with a Garand (thanks again Mdeng!), not my best shooting, but for a new to me rifle and irons, I managed to at least hit the target, so I'll take it.

Handloads did ok, unfortunately I had an issue with the firing pin hanging up in the BCG, so I may have had some unexpected full-auto bursts... :innocent0

If nothing else, got to fire a rifle that was on my "Must shoot" list, got to try some .45 handloads, scared the hell out of myself and the women on the next table with those unintentional F/A bursts and got to drool over a few things at Mdeng's place. So I'd call that a good day. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You need to take up knitting. This whole "gun thing" isn't working out for you. :lol2:

I have a feeling I'd probably wind up stabbing myself while learning to knit... :lol2:

I think it's time to just get a replacement bolt and firing pin, I'm tired of this bs.

I'm just glad Chad doesn't lurk in the SoMd threads, I'd never hear the end of it. Although I'm sure it'd brighten his day some, hearing about a piston gun with issues. :innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a feeling I'd probably wind up stabbing myself while learning to knit... :lol2:

I think it's time to just get a replacement bolt and firing pin, I'm tired of this bs.

I'm just glad Chad doesn't lurk in the SoMd threads, I'd never hear the end of it. Although I'm sure it'd brighten his day some, hearing about a piston gun with issues. :innocent0

probably he's too busy banging his head on a table when he reads your post.. :lol2::outta her

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    probably he's too busy banging his head on a table when he reads your post.. :lol2::outta her

That's always a possibility..., I stayed up way too late last night cleaning the hell out of the bolt, BCG, and firing pin - think I did a total of 7 or 8 runs thru the sonic cleaner at 480 seconds per cycle. I'll give that a chance, and if it still wants to go F/A, then it's time to get replacement parts. I could shake the assembled bcg and hear the pin moving freely, so I think I finally got it right. :o

I don't mind being the butt of jokes for a little while if it keeps someone from repeating my past mistakes, pride is nice and all, but it's a good thing to set it aside and admit that your having issues if it could help someone else out down the road, IMO.

I'm self-taught with AR's, and apparently I seem to only learn things the hard way... :lol2:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Here your pics Brad. Notice the casing and enbloc clip hanging in the air.

Attachments

• 2012-03-19_15-19-25_129.jpg
      2012-03-19_15-19-25_129.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 108
    • 2012-03-19_15-03-58_998.jpg
      2012-03-19_15-03-58_998.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 101

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That's always a possibility..., I stayed up way too late last night cleaning the hell out of the bolt, BCG, and firing pin - think I did a total of 7 or 8 runs thru the sonic cleaner at 480 seconds per cycle. I'll give that a chance, and if it still wants to go F/A, then it's time to get replacement parts. I could shake the assembled bcg and hear the pin moving freely, so I think I finally got it right. :o

I don't mind being the butt of jokes for a little while if it keeps someone from repeating my past mistakes, pride is nice and all, but it's a good thing to set it aside and admit that your having issues if it could help someone else out down the road, IMO.

I'm self-taught with AR's, and apparently I seem to only learn things the hard way... :lol2:
    which one do you have?

cat117.jpg

or
    BT-KNS16.jpg

im wondering if you installing that in correctly.. or its just popping out?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

I thought the point of a piston gun was so the BCG wouldn't get all crudded up in the usual self soiling way?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Damn Perrin, your phone takes good photos, not the best shooting I've ever done, but that Garand was nice and pleasant to shoot, thanks again for letting me try that out!

lx1x - I have the KNS Perma-pin in there, it's installed as per instructions, and actually not even a month old, factory cotter pin started bowing, so I replaced it with the KNS pin since I'd had good luck with them in my D.I. uppers.

hvymax - Turns out the lube I was using was building up inside the bolt and causing the pin to drag, although I admittedly may have been a bit 'enthusiastic' with the application of said lube in the first place. The piston upper does run pretty clean, but that doesn't mean anything when I'm inadvertently causing the problem it seems. :o

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    im just more curious than anything whats causing it to come loose to lock up the firing pin.

Turns out that it's just accumulated crud/lube, I think when my last batch of reloads were blowing/cratering primers, that's how I got the carbon/crud inside the bolt, couple that with excessive lube, and (in my mind) bam - sticking firing pin.

Either way, I'll give this bolt/firing pin one more test at the range, but if it does the same thing, I'm replacing them and just keeping my tinkering to a minimum.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    OK, think I got things figured out - operative word - Think.

Going to try and get a test session in tomorrow morning, so if anyone hears burst fire followed by obscenities, that'll be me. :lol2:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    OK, think I got things figured out - operative word - Think.

Going to try and get a test session in tomorrow morning, so if anyone hears burst fire followed by obscenities, that'll be me. :lol2:

I see that Al is rubbing off on you. Burst fire with the firing pin thingy. Just remember that Club Fed is always on the lookout for new guest. FYI. Crazyal snores like a blue whale in heat. You don't want him as a roommate. LOL

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I see that Al is rubbing off on you. Burst fire with the firing pin thingy. Just remember that Club Fed is always on the lookout for new guest. FYI. Crazyal snores like a blue whale in heat. You don't want him as a roommate. LOL

thats just WRONG! :lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Hmm, and just how do you know that SCAR??? :D

I'm pretty sure I got it right this time, yes, I think Al is starting to rub off on me - 3 round burst, what the hell?, mumble for a second, try it again... :lol2:

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Here your pics Brad. Notice the casing and enbloc clip hanging in the air.

looks ike something is backwards in those pics.....
    must suck shootin lefty in a righty world, but thats a nice looking garand. I still giggle to myself when I hear the "ping"

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Hmm, and just how do you know that SCAR??? :D

I'm pretty sure I got it right this time, yes, I think Al is starting to rub off on me - 3 round burst, what the hell?, mumble for a second, try it again... :lol2:

I know his neighbor. Bought new argon triple insulated windows to cut down on snoring noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom