• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Transporting an AR Pistol/'firearm'

I know an AR pistol falls under the same rules as transporting a handgun in MD, but... suppose said AR pistol has a VFG added. This changes it's classification to a 'firearm' according to the ATF (assuming it is at least 26" in oal).

Does this affect the ability to transport it? Would MD law still look at it as a pistol, or would it no longer be considered a pistol, but a firearm and not be affected by the limited transportation rules regarding handguns?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Putting VFG will make it an SBR if you don't have a 16" barrel and get you in more trouble than handgun transport if you don't have a tax stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Putting VFG will make it an SBR if you don't have a 16" barrel and get you in more trouble than handgun transport if you don't have a tax stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, adding a vertical forward grip to a pistol (over 26" oal) does not make it an sbr, as long as it has no stock. The ATF says it now becomes a 'firearm', no longer a pistol. I have a letter from them to that effect... ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sorry, fixed the typo in the title, but it was too late to effect a change on the forum listing view... :mad54: :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The answer you're seeming, probably don't to hear ; Md currently defines pistol as anything with less than 16in bbl .

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The answer you're seeming, probably don't to hear ; Md currently defines pistol as anything with less than 16in bbl .
    That's kind of what I was looking for... no, I'd rather it not be that way, but if it is, I'll just pack the HBAR.... :lol2:

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Like correctly stated above:

Without stock and VFG and less than 16" barrel is a pistol. Period.
    Put a stock on becomes SBR. Illegal without papers. Period.
    Put a VFG on becomes SBR. Illegal without papers. Period.

If your "pistol" has a barrel 16" or greater. It ain't no pistol. It's a rifle, maybe a carbine.
    The fact that it's 26" or greater does not define whether or not it's a pistol or rifle. Nor does it define it as an SBR or not.
    26" OAL is ATF minimum length requirement for an SBR.
    Here in Maryland our SBR have an additional requirement to be at least 29"

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016

If your "pistol" has a barrel 16" or greater. It ain't no pistol. It's a rifle, maybe a carbine.
    The fact that it's 26" or greater does not define whether or not it's a pistol or rifle. Nor does it define it as an SBR or not.

Gotta love Maryland gun laws, where a plastic stock attachment can be the difference between freedom and jail. Hilarious

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

Is that MD law? It's not how the ATF sees it..if it is an AR pistol configuration (less than a 16"bbl) (no stock) and the oal is over 26" and you then add a VFG, it becomes reclassified as a 'firearm', not an SBR... This may have no effect on MD law, thus my question in the first place as I don't know all the MD codes of law... yet... lol

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Is that MD law? It's not how the ATF sees it..if it is an AR pistol configuration (less than a 16"bbl) (no stock) and the oal is over 26" and you then add a VFG, it becomes reclassified as a 'firearm', not an SBR... This may have no effect on MD law, thus my question in the first place as I don't know all the MD codes of law... yet... lol

Here is a link to the law that deals with transport. I would think your firearm would have to be transported as a handgun.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2015/article-gcr/title-4/subtitle-2/
    § 4-201 - Definitions
    § 4-203 - Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have already asked and received a response to my question from the ATF. I will attach the second page of the letter I recently received showing otherwise... :beer:

Attachments

• ATF response to VFG on AR Pistol.pdf
      587.1 KB · Views: 132

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Now... I still question the MD law, as I don't see where it says 16" bbl anywhere, but I have more to read. This also would NOT BE concealed on the person, as this does change the view of Federal law. I do see where it says SBR/SBS are considered handguns, but it only says a weapon that 'can be concealed on a person', which is clear as mud... how the hell you gonna conceal a 26" + firearm? lol

As long as it isn't concealed on the person, this should not really apply, but MD is odd... very odd... thus I presented this question for dicussion...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'll add, in light of the fact that the MD law includes SBR's and SBS's, I would guess that this would include the 'firearm', but does it really?

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    I miss spoke:

ATF defines sbr as having less than 16" barrel or OAL less than 26" when a stock is attached.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The under 16" is in the handgun definition under the Public Safety section of law. It is used in determining the definition of handgun in respect to transfers etc.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2015/article-gps/title-5/subtitle-1/
    Thanks! I musta skimmed right over that... :o

I asked because I want to be legal, or at least have a legal defense if anything were to happen. It's always better to err on the side of caution, but circumstances can sometimes influence that.. ;)

I will treat it as a handgun for transportation purposes in MD..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I miss spoke:

ATF defines sbr as having less than 16" barrel or OAL less than 26"
    It's confusing as hell, that's why I took the time to write the ATF. Took them a good while to respond, but they did as I expected they would.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom