• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SammyPringle

Oct 26, 2016
    Hi all,
    New here. Currently living in Maryland as an out of state resident. I'm aware that regulated firearms may only be sold to Maryland residents, however; may an out of state resident purchase a non-regulated firearm cash and carry? Does the "adjacent state" law still exist?

Thanks!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Hi all,
    New here. Currently living in Maryland as an out of state resident. I'm aware that regulated firearms may only be sold to Maryland residents, however; may an out of state resident purchase a non-regulated firearm cash and carry? Does the "adjacent state" law still exist?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Rarely a good idea to start as a neewbie with a question especially one that's been answered multiple times

Why not go over to "Introductions" and introduce yourself to everyone and tell us a little about yourself. Take a little time to learn about us, MSI, our Industry Partners and the various functions on the forum.

SammyPringle

Oct 26, 2016
    Apologies, I ran a search on the forum and the web to try and get an answer and wasn't able to find it. I'm still learning the MD laws and though I might be able to get a quick answer. I'll do a little more looking, though. Thanks for your help.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Apologies, I ran a search on the forum and the web to try and get an answer and wasn't able to find it. I'm still learning the MD laws and though I might be able to get a quick answer. I'll do a little more looking, though. Thanks for your help.
    'Adjacent state' no longer applies.

You can buy a long gun in Maryland as long as you follow Maryland law and the laws of your home state.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    First of all welcome. Try not to get frustrated with the search function at time it is less than optimal. Generally searching google with mdshooters in the search works better than the actual forum search.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    'Adjacent state' no longer applies.

You can buy a long gun in Maryland as long as you follow Maryland law and the laws of your home state.

This.

Handgun sales have to be in your state of residence, but long guns are fine in any state as long as the laws of both states are followed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This.

Handgun sales have to be in your state of residence, but long guns are fine in any state as long as the laws of both states are followed.

You CAN be the resident in two states for handgun purchase purposes. Student or military.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A non-resident living in MD (and there are only a couple of groups that can legally do that), may only buy in MD an MD legal firearm (non-banned long gun or handgun on the roster).

They may go to another state and buy a long gun that is legal in the state of the transaction and the state of their legal residence. However, if that firearm is currently banned in MD, they may NOT bring it into the state of MD for any reason. This assumes the transaction occurred after Sept 20, 2013.

There are certain cases where a non-resident living in a state may purchase a handgun in both their state of legal residence and the state where they are living. See BATFE FAQs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom