• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The sks is not banned unless it has a detachable magazine. If I take the factory nbox magazine out and replace it with a detachable one, is that legeal?

Yje veper rifle is legeal in md because it comes in a hunting rifle style, if one should change the stock and add a svd style flash hider would it still be legal?

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    no to the first question.....sks is imported 922r compliance laws apply and of owned pre awb yes but 922r laws apply regardless...

as for the second question " VEPR"style rifles are also imported! adding an american flash hider counts as 1 us part 922r law applies

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am not asking about 922r.
    The veper if you change stock and fired and add a American 10 Rd mag and a American flash hider that should be 7 parts that should make it 922r compliant

I am asking about the stupid Maryland gun laws.

Basically if you change out parts on a md legeal gun will it change it to a banned gun.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I am not asking about 922r.
    The veper if you change stock and fired and add a American 10 Rd mag and a American flash hider that should be 7 parts that should make it 922r compliant

I am asking about the stupid Maryland gun laws.

Basically if you change out parts on a md legeal gun will it change it to a banned gun.

sks with detachable magazine not own prior to oct2013 is considered an "assault weapon"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Yes.

No different than replacing the HBAR barrel on a post-ban AR-15 with a gov profile barrel. You are creating a banned firearm and therefore it is illegal.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The sks is not banned unless it has a detachable magazine. If I take the factory nbox magazine out and replace it with a detachable one, is that legeal?

Absolutely not. You would be making a banned weapon.

Yje veper rifle is legeal in md because it comes in a hunting rifle style, if one should change the stock and add a svd style flash hider would it still be legal?

As long as you don't make it into a configuration that fails the copycat test (longer than 29" OAL, can't have more than one of a flash hider, folding stock, or grenade launcher).

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Absolutely not. You would be making a banned weapon.

As long as you don't make it into a configuration that fails the copycat test (longer than 29" OAL, can't have more than one of a flash hider, folding stock, or grenade launcher).

This us cut right from the msp website.

"Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons."

I am thinking that since the veper is internally diffrent then the svd that even if it looked similar it still doesnt fallnunerd the copycat section . What is everyone opinion?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This us cut right from the msp website.

"Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons."

I am thinking that since the veper is internally diffrent then the svd that even if it looked similar it still doesnt fallnunerd the copycat section . What is everyone opinion?

Duffy's sells PSL's that even more closely cosmetically resemble SVD's and NDM's. You might have to hunt around, but there are dealers that will sell Vepr's and PSL's. Parts interchange neither with AK's nor SVD's

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I am thinking that since the veper is internally diffrent then the svd that even if it looked similar it still doesnt fallnunerd the copycat section

Here's the trick:
    Being a copy of a banned weapon is different than being a copycat assault weapon.

Basically:
    There is a list of specific rifles "and their copies" which are banned. The thing you quoted above is about a rifle being banned because it is a "copy of" one of the named banned rifles. A rifle is only banned as a "copy of" one of the named banned rifles if the parts are interchangeable. Thus, a VEPR is *not* banned as being a "copy of" an AK-47, even though it kind of looks like one.

HOWEVER.... even if a rifle is not a named banned rifle, or banned for being a mechanical "copy of" a named rifle, it can still be banned for failing the "copycat test." This was a part of the FSA2013 and it's basically a features test. It says:

If a firearm is a centerfire, semi-automatic rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines, it must be over 29" in overall length, and it can not have more than one of:
    * a folding stock
    * a flash hider (of ANY kind - even suppressors count)
    * a grenade launcher (not a lug, an actual grenade launcher)

If it fails that test (i.e. if it is shorter than 29" OAL and / or has more than one of the features) then it is banned as a "copycat assault weapon."

Confused now?

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    So a veper with a psl muzzle break and psl fixed stock set should be good to go?

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    It's been a long time since I reviewed the bill and am rusty on the law changes that took place. All of my rifles were bought before the 2013 bill passed. So I am safe to make configuration changes since the purchase was pre-ban correct?

I'm looking to put a folding stock on my AK

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It's been a long time since I reviewed the bill and am rusty on the law changes that took place. All of my rifles were bought before the 2013 bill passed. So I am safe to make configuration changes since the purchase was pre-ban correct?

You are GTG

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

The pre 2013 gun is legal to continue for *you* to possess if *you* possessed it prior to pre-2013. Unspecified "configuration changes" to that now banned rifle could encompass a lot of territory. I am not so sure that you are free to do *any* configuration changes. For example, you couldn't make it full auto without committing federal felony. IN addition, and more importantly to your post, if you had a flash suppressor (or a grenade launcher or flare launcher) on your pre-2013 rifle and a regular stock, and modified to add a folding stock instead, you would have manufactured (and thus newly possess post 2013) a "copycat" of the post 2013 banned rifle. Recall how a copycat AW is defined under MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-301(e)(1): "Copycat weapon" means:
    (i) a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has any two of the following:
    1. a folding stock;
    2. a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    3. a flash suppressor;

a new post 10/1/2013 Possession of a banned rifle is criminal under MD Code, Criminal Law, § 4-303. With that mod, bingo, you're in trouble. So have a care.

Last edited:

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    Tagging onto this thread;

This Yugo was bought/modified between 2008-2010.
    With that being said. It is now a banned weapon.

922r compliant with bubbafications (original stock was borked and the half-assed attempt to save it made the Tapco a necessity)

Could this be sold anywhere in the US with proper paperwork or is this considered a completely regulated weapon at this point and FFL laws apply?

Long story short, I do not shoot it. I'm 5'6 and the thing is heavy as hell. I would love to offload it but do not wish to violate any mandates so I'm pretty sure I have a grenade-launching capable, Tapco-stocked, paper weight.

I appreciate any input and reading through the laws, I'm mildly confused.

Attachments

• M59_66Yugo.JPG
      M59_66Yugo.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 239

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    As long as, as you stated, it is 922r compliant it is just another rifle anywhere in America. Cannot be sold in Maryland or a few other similarly backward states. Since you are a MD resident, anyone in America who buys it would have to have it transferred through a FFL dealer someplace where it would be legal. (The mods take it out of the C&R realm, but if you got it under your C&R I believe it would still have to be logged out of your bound book.)

I'm pretty sure you could sell it to a MD dealer, and it would then be legal for them to sell it to someone in another state. Maybe you could put it on consignment with a dealer in PA or VA, but I'm not sure you could then get it back if it didn't sell. In case you were wondering, IANAL so double check before you do anything with this gun.

If you only get mildly confused trying to read MD gun laws, you're WAY ahead of 99.99% of the rest of the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom