• Buckhorn

Rifleman
    Apr 25, 2007
    Rockville, MD

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Maryland teachers can carry in the classroom now?

Didn't think this was even remotely possible.

Good luck, Teach.

Good luck with that...

Cops who work in the schools are NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY...

The training is a good idea, HOWEVER the only approved defensive weapons allowed are BIC PENS & apples...

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Excellent. Training is a start. A good start. Overcome the institutional hoplophobia first, then gain confidence and control. Baby steps.

Present company excepted, of course. :-)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    That's not true.

In Baltimore City it certainly is.

The Baltimore City School Police are not allowed to carry in the schools. They are armed when off campus...go figure.

They went to the legislation last year to get it fixed in the law and it got shot down due to poor timing of School Police being in the news for theft, assaults, and other issues.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm reasonably sure that it IS true in Baltimore City & Baltimore County or I wouldn't have written it...

I can't prove it but it has been repeatedly written in the Sun Papers in recent years..?

It's Baltimore City School Police....normal City police can and the County police can.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm reasonably sure that it IS true in Baltimore City & Baltimore County or I wouldn't have written it...

I can't prove it but it has been repeatedly written in the Sun Papers in recent years..?

Possibly true in city but not BCPD. I have a longtime friend who worked schools and they carry.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Give all of them training, whether they'll use it or not, Tell them it's part of a liberal education. Or for emergencies in case they have to help police. Whatever is needed to justify it, just get them to do it, hands on. Show them that guns aren't evil and don't bite.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Possibly true in city but not BCPD. I have a longtime friend who worked schools and they carry.

I seem to recall a shooting at Perry Hall HS a few years back where the assigned Balto County Officer was unarmed...

The shooter was actually disarmed by a male teacher...

At least that is what I remember the facts to be..?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Give all of them training, whether they'll use it or not, Tell them it's part of a liberal education. Or for emergencies in case they have to help police. Whatever is needed to justify it, just get them to do it, hands on. Show them that guns aren't evil and don't bite.

If nothing else, I've made sure my school is aware of the quikclot combat gauze and cat tourniquets in our building. All hoco schools have a quikclot bck
    http://www.controlbleeding.com/bleeding-control-kit.aspx
    hanging in a white box near the aed and epipens. I send out staff emails from time to time with pictures showing where it's located, what's in it, and tutorial videos how to use them.

It's not useful for confronting and stopping a threat(many teachers have unofficial plans for that) but hopefully it could help if there's a mass casualty event of some kind.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I seem to recall a shooting at Perry Hall HS a few years back where the assigned Balto County Officer was unarmed...

The shooter was actually disarmed by a male teacher...

At least that is what I remember the facts to be..?

Nope...the SRO was armed just on the other side of the school. The teacher did disarm the suspect.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If nothing else, I've made sure my school is aware of the quikclot combat gauze and cat tourniquets in our building. All hoco schools have a quikclot bck
    hanging in a white box near the aed and epipens. I send out staff emails from time to time with pictures showing where it's located, what's in it, and tutorial videos how to use them.

It's not useful for confronting and stopping a threat(many teachers have unofficial plans for that) but hopefully it could help if there's a mass casualty event of some kind.

The emergency first aid training is great, too. But I'm thinking that teachers should learn how to handle a gun.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The SRO's in Baltimore county schools (at least the ones I know) are uniformed Baltimore county officers.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

thats good info to be spreading around the school. Nice work. Hoco has SRO's in many of the schools, a friend of mine is their boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom