• hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    ?

Last edited:

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    If you meet the 10 years maryland will issue you leosa .but you still need the leosa card for md to issue it but if your where an mp in Maryland you can get a wear and carry

Maryland will NOT issue LEOSA credentials unless you were with MSP or other Maryland ( state) police, maybe fire Marshalls or whatever. LEOSA credentials come from the agency that you worked for. I was USAF and have had my credentials for a couple of years now. I used leosaonline and they were really great. Need any help, let me know, I have a point of contact there.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Maryland will NOT issue LEOSA credentials unless you were with MSP or other Maryland ( state) police, maybe fire Marshalls or whatever. LEOSA credentials come from the agency that you worked for. I was USAF and have had my credentials for a couple of years now. I used leosaonline and they were really great. Need any help, let me know, I have a point of contact there.
    Yes they will

Last edited:

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    The leosa online card doesn't give you a right to carry you still need you residence state to issue the credentials!

To carry concealed, during the most recent 12-month period, (1) met the State's standards for training and qualification to carry a firearm for active law enforcement officers in that state for the same type of weapon as the concealed, (2) qualify using the States LEOSA firearms qualification course, or (3) if the State has not established law enforcement officer firearms qualification standard the instructor will certify the officer has completed the DoD Component handgun qualification course conducted by a state certified civilian firearms instructor using the member's privately owned firearm and personally procured ammunition.

That is not true. My credentials issued by Leosaonline a DoD contractor are all that I need to carry. They are issued by the agency that I worked for (USAF) and identity me as a retired "Qualified DoD Law Enforcement Officer". I shoot with my old unit in this state as well as a local PD. I have sat down with a very nice lady at MSP to make sure that I am doing everything right and I am. LEOSA credentials are LEOSA credentials, issued from your agency and all that is needed to carry.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    That is not true. My credentials issued by Leosaonline a DoD contractor are all that I need to carry. They are issued by the agency that I worked for (USAF) and identity me as a retired "Qualified DoD Law Enforcement Officer". I shoot with my old unit in this state as well as a local PD. I have sat down with a very nice lady at MSP to make sure that I am doing everything right and I am. LEOSA credentials are LEOSA credentials, issued from your agency and all that is needed to carry.[/QUOTE
    ;)

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah I'm confused.
    Typically "credentials" are a badge and Id that you get from your agency stating so and so is a retired LEO. Blah blah blah. These are not required in order to carry under LEOSA.

A LEOSA card is a card given to the retiree or 10 year separated employee stating that the bearer is qualifed/verified to carry under LEOSA.
    Once a year the person has to go qualify (usually at a police Dept. That offers it) and qualify with whatever course they use. You get a letter or certificate saying that you qualified on X date. It's good for 1 year.
    This letter ALONG with the LEOSA card (that your agency gave you) need to be carried together to be legal. I don't know about the DOD, but I need to send a copy every year to my federal agency so they know I'm staying current.

But what you're saying is all you did was belly up to Sykesville, showed them your 214, you shot, and they issued you this LEOSA card?
    You sure this isn't just their "certificate of training" they give once a year instead of a letter?
    Let's say you're in Kansas. Who would an leo contact to verify your legitimacy?
    I can't see MPTC servicing and maintaining all DOD LEOSA accounts in the state. So the onus is on Maryland to "vouch" for you instead of the military?
    Hard to believe a state would do that "just because".
    The military doesn't have 1 standard LEOSA id card?
    All 50 States offer this service to all DOD LEOSA qualified personnel?

What about current active personnel? So they go to the state, show their 214 and get a card? Assuming they currently qualify with their current job so they don't have to shoot at Sykesville, but just get a card.

Sounds like a mess.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah I'm confused.
    Typically "credentials" are a badge and Id that you get from your agency stating so and so is a retired LEO. Blah blah blah. These are not required in order to carry under LEOSA.

A LEOSA card is a card given to the retiree or 10 year separated employee stating that the bearer is qualifed/verified to carry under LEOSA.
    Once a year the person has to go qualify (usually at a police Dept. That offers it) and qualify with whatever course they use. You get a letter or certificate saying that you qualified on X date. It's good for 1 year.
    This letter ALONG with the LEOSA card (that your agency gave you) need to be carried together to be legal. I don't know about the DOD, but I need to send a copy every year to my federal agency so they know I'm staying current.

But what you're saying is all you did was belly up to Sykesville, showed them your 214, you shot, and they issued you this LEOSA card?
    You sure this isn't just their "certificate of training" they give once a year instead of a letter?
    Let's say you're in Kansas. Who would an leo contact to verify your legitimacy?
    I can't see MPTC servicing and maintaining all DOD LEOSA accounts in the state. So the onus is on Maryland to "vouch" for you instead of the military?
    Hard to believe a state would do that "just because".
    The military doesn't have 1 standard LEOSA id card?
    All 50 States offer this service to all DOD LEOSA qualified personnel?

What about current active personnel? So they go to the state, show their 214 and get a card? Assuming they currently qualify with their current job so they don't have to shoot at Sykesville, but just get a card.

Sounds like a mess. [/QUOTE
    I got my leasa in md years before leosa online was created in Maryland my retired Id is my agency Id. And if you read leosa online application process you must see a military doctor for the medical part. How does someone who is not retired or have post access. And as far as active personal dod mandates years of service needed but doesn't do the training portion.
    There's not a medical qualification for LEOSA. Medically retired officers qualify for LEOSA. Would be unfair, don't ya think?

So you have been going to Sykesville since 2011 for your annual qualification?

I didn't think military was qualified back then?

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    There's not a medical qualification for LEOSA. Medically retired officers qualify for LEOSA. Would be unfair, don't ya think?

So you have been going to Sykesville since 2011 for your annual qualification?

I didn't think military was qualified back then?
    Military police away qualified under hr218 the revision done in. 2013 mandated the DoD to have to issue leosa cards?

As for medical

Attachments

• IMG_2041.jpg
      IMG_2041.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 701

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well the medical is a military thing. What's a disqualifying medical condition?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    It appears people are getting the terms "Credential" and proof of "Qualification" confused here.
    LEOSA carry for Qualified Retired LEO is two elements:

1. A credential issued by your former agency certifying you are a qualified retired LEO...this certifies you had at least 10 years of service as a LEO.

2. A firearms qualification from your current state of residence (card/letter) showing that you have completed a course of fire for LEO in your current state of residence. This has to be completed annually. In MD the only way I have seen to accomplish this is through a Law Enforcement agency. Some states allow other certified firearms instructors to do this. I have co-workers ho live in VA and qualify at the NRA range, with their RO conducting a standard Virginia LEO course of fire. My former agency's (USAF) policy is if your state doesn't have a standard LEO course of fire, you can qualify with the current USAF handgun course of fire and provide information on where to find it.

My LEOSA credential from my former agency has my current state of residence on it (MD). I also carry a current (less than 12 month old) firearms qualification from my local county Sheriffs office, certifying I have completed a course of fire consistent with the standards of the MD Police and Correctional Training Commission. I have qualified with two different agencies in MD (Calvert and Charles County Sheriffs Office) since I received my credentials and the course of fire was the same. In MD it is the standard course of fire that active MD LEO use for off duty carry.

Medical certification is only required if you did not serve at least 10 years in a LEO position but were medically separated/retired due to a service connected medical issue. There is an exemption to the 10 year rule in the Federal statue for these cases. This applies to both military and civilian service.

I am friends with the individual that was the action officer at the USAF Security Forces Center for the LEOSA program and I know several people at the company (Defense Consulting Services) who provides the credential processing for the Air Force, Army and Navy. They have a standard process and each service has their nuances, but the 18USC 926C is fairly straight forward on the credential and qualification matters. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not sure already got mine from Maryland .

This is where you are confusing. You are saying you have one through the DOD but did not go through the DOD process.

What are we missing here? Sounds like someone at the commission dropped the ball maybe.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    This is where you are confusing. You are saying you have one through the DOD but did not go through the DOD process.

What are we missing here? Sounds like someone at the commission dropped the ball maybe.

;)

Last edited:

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017

;)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What cjroman said @ Post# 32. I think we have several people using different terminologies in the same conversation.

Meanwhile, presuming for conversation sake that the OP is indeed LEOSA eligible , DISadvantages would be :

1. Have to qualify yearly .
    2. If you were to carry both Revolver and Semi ( either seperate occasions or as BUG ) , you would need to qualify with each type .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom