• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rc29b1

Jul 24, 2017
    Kent island
    I cant seem to figure it out. Its an hbar, but even my local gun shop has one but they dont feel comfortable selling it cause theyre not sure. Anyone know anything about this?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I cant seem to figure it out. Its an hbar, but even my local gun shop has one but they dont feel comfortable selling it cause theyre not sure. Anyone know anything about this?

Depends on the model. Colt has the CE2000 which does not list a heavy barrel so that would be a no-go in MD.
    They also have the CE2000HB (four different versions) which are heavy barrel models and are fine for MD. (They are listed as Davidson's exclusives on Colt's website.) It has to be listed or advertised as a heavy barrel to be legal in MD.
    If the shop is unsure, either check the specs or find a different shop.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Depends on the model. Colt has the CE2000 which does not list a heavy barrel so that would be a no-go in MD.
    They also have the CE2000HB (four different versions) which are heavy barrel models and are fine for MD. (They are listed as Davidson's exclusives on Colt's website.) It has to be listed or advertised as a heavy barrel to be legal in MD.
    If the shop is unsure, either check the specs or find a different shop.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I recall they do NOT have chrome-lined barrels and are not true Colt products. They are outsourced to create a budget product.

I would never buy one to save $100 and then always wish I had bought a real Colt.

Buy cheap socks. Buy good guns.

My .02.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I recall they do NOT have chrome-lined barrels and are not true Colt products. They are outsourced to create a budget product.

I would never buy one to save $100 and then always wish I had bought a real Colt.

My .02.

These days the Colt name reminds me of cheap gas station knives and Chinese pistol cases. They've ruined their brand.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    These days the Colt name reminds me of cheap gas station knives and Chinese pistol cases. They've ruined their brand.

Not sure where you get that. Colt makes an excellent first-line AR, but suffers from poor management that got suckered into a budget product.

I bought their metallurgy, not their mentality.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Not sure where you get that. Colt makes an excellent first-line AR, but suffers from poor management that got suckered into a budget product.

:thumbsup:

Love thier products. They just seem to exist solely for government contracts. I hope they can get themselves turned around.

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    I recall they do NOT have chrome-lined barrels and are not true Colt products.

The HB series has a chrome lined Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel ("13629 MP" barrel markings).

The upper receiver has a square forge marking.

One place where they noticeably skimped is that the furniture is a cheaper plastic.

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Maybe I got it from seeing their raging pony logo on two dollar gas station knives, over-priced foreign ammo and gun show pistol cases.

They're idiots for letting that junk carry their name.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If your name is on stuff in the Bud K catalog, don't pretend to be top tier.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Maybe I got it from seeing their raging pony logo on two dollar gas station knives, over-priced foreign ammo and gun show pistol cases.

They're idiots for letting that junk carry their name.

It is more than likely offshore companies are using the Colt image on unlicensed products. It woukd be fair to say Colt would not sell a knife with their horsie on it for low cost - nor anything else for that matter.

Same as the 'Novak' sights. Over half are not genuine nor licensed copies.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    BudK, SMKW, etc are full of Colt branded/ logo'es mdse. If its all not licensed as adverstised/ implied, then Colt is doing Zero to defend their ownership of their Name .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    These companies are licensing out their brands and logos as it's essentially free income for them...royalties plus the licensing fee. I would think that there would be a clause in the licensing agreement that certain levels of quality must be met and maintained, but at least in some cases that doesn't seem to be true. Many of the Colt branded knives are quite good...some are little more than flea market trash. The same goes for the other brands as well.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Recently purchased a CE2000HB from Fox's Firearms, so I'd hope it's good to go.
    I'm eyeing one of these, too. Here's the specs:
    Description: CLT EXPANSE HB 5.56 30R
    Brand: Colt
    Model: Expanse Heavy Barrel (Davidson's Exclusive)
    Type: Rifle: Semi-Auto
    Caliber: 5.56 NATO
    Finish: Matte Black
    Action: Semi-Automatic
    Stock: 4-Position Telescoping
    Sight: FT: A2 Fixed Post RR: None Included
    Barrel Length: 14.5 (16 with Pinned & Welded Flash Hider)
    From what I've fathered from ArfCom, YouTube, and Colt's site, the lower appears to be a 6290 lower, with an LExxxxx serial #, and like user_617905 mentions, a 14.5 chrome-lined SOCOM heavy barrel. The ~3" Vortex (with 5/8x24 adapter) is passable until I send it to ADCO for a BCM A2X, Phantom FS, or Griffin suppressor adapter. Cheap knockoff CAR handguard, A2 grip, and M4 stock would have gone in the parts box full of other CAR handguards and A2 grips anyway.

Anyone take deliver of an Expanse HB in Maryland yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom