• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm posting a thread about so I can discuss it more in depth.

I thought I had it zeroed and wanted to post a video of it shooting groups. I thought I had zeroed it the day before but I had shot a lot of rounds and the barrel was hot.

The first shot today was high and I need it to shoot accurately with a cold barrel as when hunting. Does this sound right?

Should I get it close and let the barrel cool before shooting again? That's what I'm going to try tomorrow.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Did you mean 1895? The accuracy depends on number of factors, barrel length, ammo, weather conditions, shooters ability, Remlin construction. Typically 2" to 3" accuracy at 100yds.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    How high was high?

Hard to know much of anything from one shot.

But yes, let that rifle sit and cool 3 to 5 minutes between shots. As you correctly note, what's going to matter most for hunting is the first shot cold.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Are you using the crappy buckhorn sights that came with the gun? If so, maybe the elevation ramp was bumped.

Check out Skinner Sights for the 1895. Night and day difference

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Something like this?

3235260_03_marlin_1895_guide_gun_with_ski_640.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Sorry, but I've put a scope on the rifle. My eyes aren't good enough to shoot as accurately as I want to at 100 yards and maybe 150 yards with iron sights. I shot it today and it was about 6 inches high on the first shot so I let it cool down and adjusted the scope to shoot lower. I shot 4 shots and got it pretty close and will try to get it so it hits the bulls-eye on the first shot tomorrow.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I understand first cold bore shot but 6" deviation on first shot is alot. Something wrong with the rifle, mounts or optics. Let another shooter try the first shot. If you know it is not you, You may consider trying the irons at 50 yards to see if the deviation is still there. That would separate rifle from optics.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Distance?
    6" is high for any distance though. If its shooting off by double your normal group size, that is cause for investigation.
    Using the same ammo?
    Some people clean the bore before each shot and let it cool.
    Some shoot it dirty and leave it dirty (seasoned) for the hunt.

I run a bore snake and cool between shots.

First time I took a rifle with a rear peep into the woods, I could not have enough light to see well at dawn. I put fire sights on my Win 94 30-30. Sadly, Have not taken it out into woods to hunt since then.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Distance?"

I was suggesting even a proportionate deviation at a distance he would be more comfortable shooting a group. I agree, that great a deviation isn't tolerable. My suggestion was to isolate shooter, rifle, optics

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've zeroed all my other rifles with little trouble. Even zeroed a Marlin 45-70 (new) that I bought last year. Something weird going on with this one.

I'm going to try some ammo with 405 gr. lead tomorrow.

I was able to shoot my Winchester 92 30-30 better with iron sights than the Marlin with a scope.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Distance?
    6" is high for any distance though. If its shooting off by double your normal group size, that is cause for investigation.
    Using the same ammo?
    Some people clean the bore before each shot and let it cool.
    Some shoot it dirty and leave it dirty (seasoned) for the hunt.

I run a bore snake and cool between shots.

First time I took a rifle with a rear peep into the woods, I could not have enough light to see well at dawn. I put fire sights on my Win 94 30-30. Sadly, Have not taken it out into woods to hunt since then.

Probably closer to 3 inches.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I wish I could put a Skinner sight on my Winchester '92 but I don't know if I can.

I think I have the 1895 sighted in on the first shot with a cold barrel. Tomorrow will be the real test.

This rifle doesn't seem to be the type you can shoot a lot of precise groups with...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I was reading on another site, where the owner of an 1895 was having problems with shots starting to look like a "pattern" after the barrel warms up.

I can't picture the fore-end on the 1895CB in my head (I'm at work), but, it turned out that the guy's fore-end cap and fore-end wood was causing pressure on the barrel, and causing the fliers as the barrel warmed up.

:shrug::shrug:

Just a thought.......

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    On a whim yesterday I bought a box of 325 gr. FTX bullets for it and loaded them up. I'm gonna try zeroing with them just to see what happens. I shot 5 or so today.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I saw a video where a guy shoots the rifle using some hand-loads he made up using Trail Boss powder and 405 grain lead bullets that were milder than what's usually offered. I looked up a Trail Boss load for the 45-70 and I have to report that my rifle loves the combo!

The first few shots at 25 yards were in the same hole! I then moved to 50 yards and adjusted the sights for it.

I need to take the gun out a few more times to make sure that the "first Shot" phenomenon doesn't reappear.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I tried the load at 100 yards and it's pretty low so I think that I'd need a stronger load if I want to try shots at 100 yards. I'm going to experiment with hotter loads using the 405 grain cast bullet in the coming months but may stick with the current load to hunt with this Fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom