• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    People are spoiled by the pricing of ARs. The price is cheaper now than when they first hit the civilian market. They are being made by everyone and that drives prices down. A high end AR is as expensive as the Scar.

I think the only true advantage of the scar is the weight and the recoil in 7.62. The recoil comes with a price through because the recoil impulse is strange and has been known to bust good optics. I'm mounting a vortex to mine today for a hunting trip.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The United States military doesn't use the SCAR as their basic issue weapon. There's a reason for that.

True, but the US military's decision to continue fielding the M4 doesn't mean the SCAR is not fit for service--it's issued by some 20 countries. Logistics and cost is a huge part of the DOD's decision-making. Moving to an entirely new platform would be an undertaking, and the M4 continues to be more than adequate as the incumbent with 45 years of service.

I'm not arguing the SCAR is better, just that change in the military is equated with risk and other consequences (look at the problems initially fielding the M16). So its failure to replace the M4 is not necessarily a strike against it.

For Joe Public, the fact that it costs 2.5x as much as an AR is a huge deterrent. Personally I think they are great rifles but if I had to choose one, it's still be an AR.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I bought a 16s a few months ago and love it. But I also love my various AR's. Other than cost and a few obvious design differences I can't really say one is better than the other. Due to free time constraints and local range regs, other than static bench shooting I haven't pushed either to their capabilities.

Mainly bought the SCAR for the collector value & novelty of it. I mean, it certainly has a cool factor to it. I'd be curious to see exactly why the Spec Ops community fell in love with it for a short while, specifically. Again, not being a soldier I don't have a point of reference to see why one would be preferred over the other, but those guys probably know a small bit more about weapons than I do. I'd also be curious as to why they seemed to have given up on it, if in fact they have.

I suppose for the average consumer it will come down to cost. I paid as much for four AR's (pre-furniture swap-out & optics) than I did for one SCAR 16. There's also very few accessories (again cool factor) for the SCAR which may influence most of us keyboard commandos.

From a relative platform newbie, I'd say if you can afford it you won't be disappointed with either, but I can't really pick a clear winner (sorry if that doesn't help you).

jjsat

Apr 14, 2014
    Montgomery Co., MD
    I own ARs and a 17. The Scar is over priced IMHO, but it scratches an itch every time I take it out. Different platform, very smooth shooting and light 308. I get 1.5-2 MOA out of mine.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I have 4 AR10s in 308 and a scar17 .. hands down the SCAR is one of the better off the shelf options out there and is the softest recoil gas 308 that I have shot, especially for the weight. I will also say it shoots pretty consistent with every type of round i have put it in where the others are pretty finicky still.

That said while i agree that it isn't worth the price tag I think everyone should have one.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My friend on the right likes a scar for desert work.
    b06df690319f2caa152085b3efec023b.jpg

Jan 25, 2017
    looking for some education here. Why are the scar rifles so much more expensive? I am looking to understand why one would rather spend 2 times the amount of money an ar-15 that is well equipped costs or even 4 times what a base model ar-15 costs?

Are scar rifles superior?

SCAR rifles are a different rifle. The answer to this is completely dependent on what you're looking for in a rifle.

If we're strictly talking about 5.56, then I would go with an AR if you're unwilling to spend $2000+ on a 5.56 platform. Don't get me wrong, the SCAR 16 is great, but price is usually a major deciding factor.

The SCAR 17 on the other hand is probably one of the best .308 battle rifles. Shoots smooth and is incredibly durable. Again, the price tag is high on this, and if you're not willing to spend $2000+, go with an AR-10.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    You can get an off the shelf AR that is perfect for 1-1.5K or get an off the shelf SCAR for 2-3K and spend another 1-2K upgrading it to make if perfect... Why? There are ambi ARs that take pmags, which companies are throwing at people now, Or get a SCAR with proprietary mags from FN. Then you need to get the Handl defense lower and a geisle trigger... why? I had a 17, it was cool, I sold it because there is no point price wise and it wasn't very accurate. If Uncle Sam gave me one, that's one thing, but I could get 3 ARs that are equally capable for the same price as a SCAR. Do what ever floats your boat but I'll stick with the AR platform. My M1A with irons out shoots the SCAR with a scope, its steel and wood, like god intended before Eugene Stoner came along.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    You can get an off the shelf AR that is perfect for 1-1.5K or get an off the shelf SCAR for 2-3K and spend another 1-2K upgrading it to make if perfect... Why? There are ambi ARs that take pmags, which companies are throwing at people now, Or get a SCAR with proprietary mags from FN. Then you need to get the Handl defense lower and a geisle trigger... why? I had a 17, it was cool, I sold it because there is no point price wise and it wasn't very accurate. If Uncle Sam gave me one, that's one thing, but I could get 3 ARs that are equally capable for the same price as a SCAR. Do what ever floats your boat but I'll stick with the AR platform. My M1A with irons out shoots the SCAR with a scope, its steel and wood, like god intended before Eugene Stoner came along.

The scar 16 uses ar15 mags. The 17 uses its own which have come way down in price recently.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    At the end of the day the SCAR has capabilities built in that would appear more robust than commercial solutions the AR market has come up with. The cost reflects that this design was custom built for one customer.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Handl makes a scar lower that allows the 17 to use sr25/pmag 308s. It’s great if you have multiple ar10s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 25, 2017
    You can get an off the shelf AR that is perfect for 1-1.5K or get an off the shelf SCAR for 2-3K and spend another 1-2K upgrading it to make if perfect... Why? There are ambi ARs that take pmags, which companies are throwing at people now, Or get a SCAR with proprietary mags from FN.

If we're talking about the SCAR 16, they can use PMAG Gen 3 magazines which also work in AR-15s.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I have a SCAR 17 and one huge benefit of the SCAR over the AR platform is that cleaning is so much quicker on the SCAR. I have gone well over 3k rounds without cleaning (just occasional lube) and when I take it apart the only dirt is on the piston. Overall the platform can be incredibly accurate but getting there is more pricey than an AR. The 17 is very rough on optics so you cannot get away with the cheap stuff.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If OP wants to be special, there's also the Beretta ARX-100, which besides bad BUIS and a meh trigger is a pretty cool rifle for about half the cost of a SCAR16.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If we're talking about the SCAR 16, they can use PMAG Gen 3 magazines which also work in AR-15s.

Any generation of Pmag can be used, provided the user modifies the bolt catch notch on the back of the magazine. To that effect, most of my Gen 3 Pmags have required a slight bit of filing though much less than the u-shaped notches of prior generation Pmags. Provided the notch is correct, any STANAG mag should work in the SCAR 16S.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have a SCAR 17 and one huge benefit of the SCAR over the AR platform is that cleaning is so much quicker on the SCAR. I have gone well over 3k rounds without cleaning (just occasional lube) and when I take it apart the only dirt is on the piston. Overall the platform can be incredibly accurate but getting there is more pricey than an AR. The 17 is very rough on optics so you cannot get away with the cheap stuff.

You don't have to do uber clean on an AR all the time. Just keep it lubed well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Shoot a 308 AR with a Suppressor and Adjustable Gas then thoot a SCAR17 with FIXED Gas and a Suppressor and then tell me which one is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom