• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Then there's Toby Town...

Tobytown is really something. In middle of nowhere, short walk to C&O canal. Homes 1/2 mile away $5-15M , Danny Snyder is close by. Tobytown folk get travel vouchers for taxi rides to use their EBT cards. Different class of poor in Potomac. Scotland kids go the best schools in the county in an effort to keep the mean GPA of the schools believable. :innocent0

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Tobytown is really something. In middle of nowhere, short walk to C&O canal. Homes 1/2 mile away $5-15M , Danny Snyder is close by. Tobytown folk get travel vouchers for taxi rides to use their EBT cards. Different class of poor in Potomac. Scotland kids go the best schools in the county in an effort to keep the mean GPA of the schools believable. :innocent0

Tobytown has a history.

It was once 10 times greater in size and was land owned by a free black man who bought his freedom. His name was Mr. Toby. Unfortunately one day while tending to his farm he accidentally ran over a small white child with his wagon. Toby was given the chance to defer his hanging by giving up the majority of his land in return for his life. The reduced property/land was passed on to his relatives and became a poor black community called "shanty town". The property was to small to be a sustainable farm. The State of Maryland took over the property and built cheap townhouses on the land back in the 60's. The townhouses were maintained by the Montgomery County Housing Opportunities Commision until recently when the county decided to sell the units back to the original descendants of "Toby". The program to sell back and foster home ownership has been a mixed success. Some owners have improved their homes and work daily as proud home owners. Some have lost their homes due to not understanding the responsibilities of home ownership. Some units are still owned by the state and rented as section 8 rentals.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Tobytown has a history.

It was once 10 times greater in size and was land owned by a free black man who bought his freedom. His name was Mr. Toby. Unfortunately one day while tending to his farm he accidentally ran over a small white child with his wagon. Toby was given the chance to defer his hanging by giving up the majority of his land in return for his life. The reduced property/land was passed on to his relatives and became a poor black community called "shanty town". The property was to small to be a sustainable farm. The State of Maryland took over the property and built cheap townhouses on the land back in the 60's. The townhouses were maintained by the Montgomery County Housing Opportunities Commision until recently when the county decided to sell the units back to the original descendants of "Toby". The program to sell back and foster home ownership has been a mixed success. Some owners have improved their homes and work daily as proud home owners. Some have lost their homes due to not understanding the responsibilities of home ownership. Some units are still owned by the state and rented as section 8 rentals.

That's a great history lesson I didn't know. Thanks Afrikeber. I will pas that along. I know a lot of people out there who are as ignorant of that as I WAS.:thumbsup:

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Tobytown has a history.

Holy cow! Never knew that. Thanks for sharing.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Scotland area was first purchased by an ex-slave, many acres, then his family and others moved there. Lincoln Park in Rockville was set up as a development for freed slaves in the 1890s. Gum Springs in Alexandria has some history too. I pass Tobytown often going to the C&O there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually Tobytown is named after.......

yep Toby.

Attachments

• toby.jpg
      toby.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 253

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Scotland area was first purchased by an ex-slave, many acres, then his family and others moved there. Lincoln Park in Rockville was set up as a development for freed slaves in the 1890s. Gum Springs in Alexandria has some history too. I pass Tobytown often going to the C&O there.

Good ol' Lincoln Park. Lived on the boarder of LP in Maryvale in Rockville for five years. My first house. Lots of stories from that era of my life....

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I recall a resident from Lincoln Park asserting to remove the confederate statue in Rockville. His premise rang plausible to me as follows;

Recall Lincoln park was on the other side of the tracks founded in the 1890's. The confederate soldier was placed in square in the middle of town around 1912? , at crossroads, not unlike the soldier in Alexandria is placed in a traffic area. The resident said it was a message to those of Lincoln Park, stay out of our area. Looking back in history to those dates, hard to dismiss that.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    That's "an effort" on purpose?

Don't know.

Bells Mill is no Potomac ES , but one of my kids goes to school across the county. Great email I got when I wrote a friend in that area my kid was going to the school there;

If he is going to that school you had better teach him how to make a "Shank", he can probably make one by taking some common items from the "health room".....

:lol2:

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Don't know.

Bells Mill is no Potomac ES , but one of my kids goes to school across the county. Great email I got when I wrote a friend in that area my kid was going to the school there;

:lol2:

Gimme a break... :rolleyes:

Both Potomac ES and Bells Mills ES feed into Hoover Middle School (where my kids went) and then into Churchill (where my kids went) and there were very few problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom