• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd be tempted, but I have a feeling someone would likely complain about it if we got them to jiggle. :sad20:

04RWon - I'll have to take your word on it, never played with KAC drop-in's, went from cheapy UTG right to D.D. myself.

As I understand it though, if it's not floated, don't mount optics to it. Of course, there could be exceptions to that, but I haven't tried it myself.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Its a 2 piece drop in rail. Im not sure what id do to fix it. Its only minor movement. I cant get rid of it though, gf got it as a gift for me lol. Its a nice rail, i wish at the time kac would have offered factory seconds for rifle length.

2 Piece doesn't necessarily make it bad; you just shouldn't bridge the gap. Daniel Defense Omega rails are 2-piece, and they're decent.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    As I understand it though, if it's not floated, don't mount optics to it. Of course, there could be exceptions to that, but I haven't tried it myself.

That's correct.

However even IF free-floated one should NEVER bridge the gap. Keep the optics mount entirely on the upper receiver. This is why companies like LaRue make those mounts with the built in rings. It' allows wide placement of the rings while still keeping the optic attached only to the receiver.

I'll mount red-dots to a free-floated rail no problem.

You can get by mounting a laser to a non-FF rail for CQB type stuff (that's as far as I would go with an aiming device on 2 piece non FF rail).

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    If your scope needs to be moved foreword, consider using a cantilever mount.
    This particular one is a LaRue QD mount.

web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom