• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Over the past few months I have seen mixed opinions and experiences on the reliability of the GSG5 in regard to function with various brands and grades of ammo. Up until now I have been working with Winchester HV from a 5000 round brick and have had good results. Initially I had some failures to feed--until I remembered lessons learned from good old First Sgt Rodriguez as I
    struggled with my M14 during basic training at Fort Leonard Wood back in the '60s----always rap the back of the loaded magazine against something solid(typically your steel pot helmet) before loading in order to align the rounds. Solved all problems.

This week I was rummaging through my ammo and found a "hell box" of old,mixed 22lr that had accumulated over many years--the left overs that ended up in jacket pockets, ftf ground pickups, odd stuff from unloaded mags, etc. Probably 5 different brands and some as old as 30 years,, covered with dirt, pocket lint, and all manner of crud. Took a microfiber towel
    and rolled the ammo around to remove the worst of the grit and loaded my mags. To make a long story short, I ended up with over 200 rounds to shoot. This mixed junk went through the GSG5 with absolutely no problem--not a single jam or ftf. Seemed reasonably accurate also.

Seems to me the GSG5 gets high marks for tolerating mixed substandard ammo. Does anyone else have different experiences?

ZHammer

Pythonidae Fan
    Jul 5, 2009
    Bel Air, Md.
    I just obtained a GSG-5 SD with Debra's help @ Estate Brokers of Maryland. It has the compliant suppressor as well. I have a boat load of CCI Mini Mags waiting to fire. Good to hear about the different brands too! Can't wait to try it out.

My apologies for the hijack here...

:patriot:

jersey

Nov 16, 2008
    Chambersburg PA
    ive been using winchester hi velocity. not a problem yet. only issue ive had with mine is that damned fake supressor and the nfa bs. had to send the fake supressor back to get a new nfa compliant one. still isnt in. just be aware that the g5g-5sd with that issue. other than that shoots great.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I just obtained a GSG-5 SD with Debra's help @ Estate Brokers of Maryland. It has the compliant suppressor as well. I have a boat load of CCI Mini Mags waiting to fire. Good to hear about the different brands too! Can't wait to try it out.

My apologies for the hijack here...

:patriot:

if I had not already seen that firearm I would ask: where are the pictures of your new firearm ?????????

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i had some issues with federal.

but mine ran flawless with remington vipers.

i think copper jacketed high velocity rounds seem to be the best type of round overall for these.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I had some issues with Remington when I first shot it, but the copper jacketed HV work flawlessly. After shooting a few hundred of those, the Remington work now too. I think that the feed ramp needed worked a little bit before the Remington would feed properly.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Mine eats pretty much anything. I typically use the 550 rnd bulk packs for WallyWorld. I may have one or two ftf/fte per session at the range, and that's out of 200-300 rnds...

Jamie

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Broke in with CCI-mini mags and now 550 federal with, as Jmintzer said, a few hickups per couple hundred rounds. You sure can go threw some ammo with the GSG, I usually burn up a 550 pack quick.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I like to practice IDPA drills with the GSG when I can.(private range)

I read Today on ar15 that GSG has replacement fake cans/shrouds for the non-SD model.
    People sent in original for warranty and ATI replaced their fake can with a new one with inner sleeve. Chris from ATI said, "JUST IN CASE" someone changes their mind in the future. UGH OOO

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    mine HATES cci's. the wax on the tip caused feeding issues. i took it up the pooper at continental and bought 1k when i first got the rifle. now i just use federals and some aguilas i got from cabelas.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My GSG5-PK worked quite well the 2 times I took it out with Fed bulk, CCI standard and win HV running GSG 22 round mags with about 15 rounds in them. It will probably never see enough rounds to break in from me.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Mine has shot everything I have put through it but seems to like the CCI mini mags the best.
    :thumbsup: Mines definitely the most accurate and reliable with mini-mags. Honestly the GSG used to be my favorite or goto .22lr. Not since i got the S&W 15-22. I love that rifle. Soooo much fun to shoot. Accurate and all the mags fit in my AR gear, kind of a no brainer for me. But the GSG still has a place in my heart. Its a scary accurate considering the platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom