• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Learn me on the pros and cons of the various sling mounting options for a SD Rem 870. Single mount, double, attachment options etc.

Thanks in advance.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Attachments

• SGSMP-S-870.jpg
      SGSMP-S-870.jpg
      7.4 KB · Views: 191

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    For HD? I lean towards no sling. One more thing to worry about and one more thing for the bad guy to grab at. Reduce the complications in HD is my motto.

beardystag

Nov 16, 2013
    HarCo
    For HD? I lean towards no sling. One more thing to worry about and one more thing for the bad guy to grab at. Reduce the complications in HD is my motto.

Proper sling techniques will only help you. Sure there's more of a chance it can get grabbed, but with proper technique it will NEVER be grabbed from you. Aside from that, I like being able to have hands free without ever having to lay down the gun.

I just use a traditional 2 point sling. I've never understood why 870's have blank caps, but my much cheaper 870 clone comes with a mag cap with a pre-mounted swivel stud. I'd go for the blade addition above or a new swivel mag cap.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Proper sling techniques will only help you. Sure there's more of a chance it can get grabbed, but with proper technique it will NEVER be grabbed from you. Aside from that, I like being able to have hands free without ever having to lay down the gun.

I just use a traditional 2 point sling. I've never understood why 870's have blank caps, but my much cheaper 870 clone comes with a mag cap with a pre-mounted swivel stud. I'd go for the blade addition above or a new swivel mag cap.

I'm more concerned about it being a pain in the ass when I am grabbing my gun and moving to a secure place. I can see it catching on things in my home and getting in the way. In my imagined use of my shotgun for home defense, I don't really see the need for it. Now for extended use of a gun for field/fighting, I can see why a sling is necessary. A home defense situation here mainly involves me grabbing the handgun, then the rifle(if I have time), giving control of the handgun and phone to jenni and essentially staying put behind the locked door with the rifle on the entrance to the room. If I were to use the shotgun for the defensive role, I don't see a sling really being useful in that scenario.

beardystag

Nov 16, 2013
    HarCo
    That's why there's so many options. To each, his own. I spent much of my adolescence in competitive shooting leagues and have naturally developed an affinity for slings. A sling on my rifles/shotguns is never loose (i.e. wrapped around my elbow to retain tension), and thus adding stability and control, particularly if the gun were to be reached for. Generally, if my 18" barrel won't catch it as I turn, there's hardly a chance that my sling would catch it.

All that being said, I don't currently have a sling on my HD shotgun.. but I'm more than comfortable with it either way, and that's what's important. :thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I agree.

My HD shotgun is used for one purpose. HD.

IF someone comes into my home (while I'm sleeping), they can have what's downstairs.
    As soon as they put one foot on the stairwell, they are in jeopardy.
    My 870 and I will be in our 'nest' waiting. I WILL defend my family!!

A sling is not necessary, for my purposes, although, there is a sling swivel mount in the forend cap and in the buttstock IF I need to add a sling.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I agree.

My HD shotgun is used for one purpose. HD.

IF someone comes into my home (while I'm sleeping), they can have what's downstairs.
    As soon as they put one foot on the stairwell, they are in jeopardy.
    My 870 and I will be in our 'nest' waiting. I WILL defend my family!!

A sling is not necessary, for my purposes, although, there is a sling swivel mount in the forend cap and in the buttstock IF I need to add a sling.

I'm in the same boat. I'm nesting with it, and defending the stairs, period. I'm not doing tactical sweeps or any other movie stuff. I have swivels and even a bayonet lug on the thing, but that doesn't play into a HD defense scenario in my mind. Commanding a perp? Im not law, I'm defending the stairs and the family. You dont comply when you hit the stairs, you're down. Have to make that call beforehand and be clear with it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm in the same boat. I'm nesting with it, and defending the stairs, period. I'm not doing tactical sweeps or any other movie stuff. I have swivels and even a bayonet lug on the thing, but that doesn't play into a HD defense scenario in my mind. Commanding a perp? Im not law, I'm defending the stairs and the family. You dont comply when you hit the stairs, you're down. Have to make that call beforehand and be clear with it.

This is what I taught my oldest daughter, when I bought and set-up an 870 for her, when she bought her first home.

Her 'nest' was in the corner of her bedroom, but, now that she's married and has two kids of her own, her 'nest' is at the top of the steps, where she can defend her kids.

Honestly, to me, IF someone is downstairs, they're awake and aware of what they are doing, and I'm asleep upstairs, in la-la land.

BUT..... when that person/persons get to the stairwell, they intend to do bodily harm to my family, and will be met with severe resistance.

This ain't Hollywood, here. This is "I will defend my family to the best of my ability. Period."

On the other hand....... my beloved wife is menopausal, and has a rubber hose filled with sand.

I could just stay in bed, and turn her loose, on the intruders.
    I GUARANTEE that those miscreants would have a change of heart, with regard to their intended purposes and goals of long life.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom