HS students suspended for range time outside of school hrs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Children, by law, are required to be enrolled in school.

Anyone enrolled in school are now called "students," whether or not at school.

Schools have jurisdiction over "student" behavior, no matter where it occurs.

The schools, not the family, have jurisdiction over your students, er, uh, children.

But don't worry, the schools have plenty of resources to manage the task. :sarcasm: We learned last night on Life, Liberty & Levin that <50% of "educators" in our school systems are actually classroom teachers. What are all those Marxists doing behind the scenes, outside of public scrutiny (as if we can't guess)?

What about home schooling?

Entire generations are being raised to be anti gun and fear firearms. Disney did the same thing with hunting. Mention hunting and the first response from antis is 'Bambi'.
    Teach them young and they will follow. Students are not being taught to think for themselves and weigh both sides. The popular thing to do is follow the current trend.
    The answer.....? I don't really know. As long as firearms are vilified it's going to be an uphill struggle. Youth shooting programs, positive firearms press, normalizing talking about firearms, grassroots community organizing, overcoming political correctness? We are all ambassadors in the battle to protect our rights.
    It's a bit like trying to climb a greased flagpole. Best done with a lot of help.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If this checks out, I suspect the parents will need the services of a good attorney. On the other hand, the kids won't need to worry about paying for college.

From my perspective, this is a clear usurpation of parental authority.

cl Jules

Mar 19, 2018
    ... and this after a sitting member of Congress Tom Suozzi just told his constituents that if they are opposed to Trump they might resort to the 2nd Amendment!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I get the impression the school wasn't "scouring FB" for this. It appears the posts on social media were reported to the administration by "concerned individuals" [read: snowflakes].

I suspect (though I have not proof) that this is why the administration is saying the claims are wrong. They did not simply discipline the students for social media posts. They disciplined the students for social media posts that "caused distress" to others in the student body (read: snowflakes). Just a guess.

Yeah you know what causes me distress? F'ing Liberals.
    This crap needs to stop. Several expensive lawsuits would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like a few news sources confirm that this was policy but probably flipped by the school district when threatened with a lawsuit.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...revises-policy-banning-guns-outside-of-school

A New Jersey school district has revised a policy that banned students from having guns outside of school.

The policy had said Lacey students could be punished for having weapons "on or off school grounds." But it now states that students cannot bring weapons to school or on a bus.

The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs had threatened to sue the district over the policy. That came amid reports that two students had been suspended for posting a picture of guns at a shooting range.

The district has said reports of the discipline were incorrect but has declined to provide specifics, citing privacy rules.

Last part is cya bs. That's why there was the threat of the lawsuit, because two students were threatened with suspension (even if the school then backtracked when it faced resistance).

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2018/03/after_uproar_school_district_quietly_changes_gun_p.html

The Lacey school district quietly changed a policy last week that prohibited students from legally handling a gun off campus after being threatened with a lawsuit by a gun advocacy organization.

Though the district denied it disciplined two students after one posted a photo of firearms at a range, a family friend said the boys received five days of in-school suspension. One of the boys also said in a Facebook post that he and his friend were punished.

Before tweaking the language in the high school's student handbook, the policy said "any student who is reported to be in possession of a weapon of any type for any reason or purpose whether on or off school grounds," would be subject to penalties including up to a one-year suspension.

It now omits any mention of possessing a weapon off school grounds and doesn't mention a specific suspension length. It also includes a note on buses.

Gun stickers on vehicles there is a no no too ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/1...y-suspends-students-over-gun-range-photo.html

Overtly broad policies of the school district have been criticized in the past. Ed Cardinal, whose son attends a school in the same district, said the officials once demanded his son to remove a window sticker of a gun from his pickup truck that he drives to school.

"He was kind of heated about it and so was I," Cardinal said.

They abided by the demands and removed sticker after the district threatened to punish the teen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Looks like a few news sources confirm that this was policy but probably flipped by the school district when threatened with a lawsuit.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...revises-policy-banning-guns-outside-of-school

Last part is cya bs. That's why there was the threat of the lawsuit, because two students were threatened with suspension (even if the school then backtracked when it faced resistance).

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2018/03/after_uproar_school_district_quietly_changes_gun_p.html

Gun stickers on vehicles there is a no no too ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/1...y-suspends-students-over-gun-range-photo.html

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If my kid got in trouble for having a gun sticker on their car, I'd either add more stickers or plaster my car with them and bring them to school everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep good thing i was born back in the 60s. used to wear jackets full of various fishing and hunting company patches. i guess now that would earn me jail time if not the death penalty...

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    From the article:

The claims are that there is a school district policy which prohibits firearm possession by students on or off school grounds.

Are you kidding me? Two kids going to the range with their family outside school hours, yep definitely dangerous criminals. What a joke.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    From the article:

Are you kidding me? Two kids going to the range with their family outside school hours, yep definitely dangerous criminals. What a joke.

The school policy also the way it was written would have barred weekend private fencing or archery lessons. The administrators who wrote it were politically motivated morons

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    Going out shooting is very bad. They would rather these kids stay home and shoot on video games.

Thank God I'm grown up already and don't have to deal with dumb schools anymore.

awg9tech

Jan 7, 2013
    Time for diffrent tactics

And the insanity continues! Clear violation of their 2nd Amendment COTUS rights. When are they going to be held accountable?

Then hold them accountable.

And stop doing the same things over and over again expecting different results.

Instead of treating this like a 2A case, the parents and the children should quietly and amicably accept the suspension. After all, they violated school policy; clearly defined and posted in the student handbook.

The day the suspension is over, the parents inform the school administration that they fully expect them to follow the policy, so clearly stated in the handbook, with all other children.

To wit:
    “the Zero Tolerance for Guns Act and also has its own zero-tolerance policy for any students who have weapons in their possession, on or off school grounds”

Every home has at least one kitchen knife in it. A kitchen knife is a weapon. Therefore, all the children at the school must be suspended.

Demand it.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    We are starting a youth shooting team at my club of which I will be the coach...........wonder if I can get the local school system to give them letters for participation.

TD

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    We are starting a youth shooting team at my club of which I will be the coach...........wonder if I can get the local school system to give them letters for participation.

Honestly, I'd ask. If anyone argues, tell they you're trying to get the kids to make a mental connection of firearm = sport = shoot at target, instead of firearm = crime = shoot at people. Depending on the type of shooting you're doing, you can also play the Olympic Sport card. As opposed to football, which is just a pathway to brain damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom