• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I am ready to drop the hammer to buy a replacement stock for my new (to me) Savage Mkii FV-SR. I am debating between the AT-One full adjustable, or the Pro Varmit. Anyone have some real life experience with them? Thanks in advance!

If not the Boyds stock.. anyone else have a recommendation for a very nice stock with this bull barrel gun?

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    98cc17e258ff7ffcde6ac51a4d25cfa9.jpg
    de792fe9068e4e5959d92a48f1815447.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I had an AT-ONE for my Savage 111 300 WM and returned it. It looked a lot better on the website than in person, and after I received it I found out I needed to buy other parts to make it work so it went back. Just make sure it’s what you really want from them as a 20% restocking fee is hard to stomach sometimes.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you're ordering it direct from Boyd's make sure it's not a thumb hole stock. :innocent0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Seriously. I know there's been at least 1 or 2 threads/posts where fellow MDS'ers had issues getting Boyd's to deliver a thumbhole stock to MD.

IIRC, they wound up buying thru a second vendor and had no issues.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    They sent this one... no problems, but it may not be considered 'thumbhole'?

edit - I don't remember if I ordered this one directly or through a distributor, I'll have to go back and look..

Attachments

• IMG_3101 small.jpg
      IMG_3101 small.jpg
      107.6 KB · Views: 209

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    They sent this one... no problems, but it may not be considered 'thumbhole'?

edit - I don't remember if I ordered this one directly or through a distributor, I'll have to go back and look..
    I have the same stock - evolution - on my CZ455. Love it, that stock seemed tailor made for my build, arm length, etc. Extremely comfortable to hold and point.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have the same stock - evolution - on my CZ455. Love it, that stock seemed tailor made for my build, arm length, etc. Extremely comfortable to hold and point.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    I was honestly a little apprehensive at first, but after I mounted it up, added a sling swivel up front for a bipod and swapped those scope rings out for lower ones, I have really come to like it. It just feels perfect when I pick it up and shoulder it. :thumbsup:

I need to get an updated pic of it, that's an old pic when I first put it together.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I did a couple of things to the gun when I got it besides restocking it. I polished the bolt and also added an Apachee trigger kit to it and better bottom metal. The trigger breaks at about 1.25lbs, no takeup or creep and still uses the factory accutrigger and safety. It's a shooter for a short barreled 22. My MkII BV with the longer bull barrel will outshoot it, but I can't screw a suppressor on the BV, so...... :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I know the OP asked about the synthetic stock options, but I really like the looks, feel and performance of the laminated stocks. My BV has the factory Savage laminated stock and that's partly why I went with the Evolution from Boyd's for this one. No regrets at all.

Here is how it looks now with sling swivels and lower scope rings...

Attachments

• IMG_0916 small.jpg
      IMG_0916 small.jpg
      123.2 KB · Views: 151

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I am seriously considering the Bodys laminated, but Im just not ready to hit the "buy now" as I feel like I am missing something... do you NEED to buy a new trigger gaurd /lower metal on the Pro Varmit etc? What else will I NEED since Boyds doesn't spell it out so well...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't think you really to with a synthetic stock, but since I went with laminated, I did upgrade to the DIP bottom metal kit, which gives you a heavier/thicker bottom plate and action screws. They do have a 'tactical' trigger guard available too. Since I didn't/haven't yet bedded this action/stock on the MkII, I felt that a better bottom plate was probably worth the small investment.

Last edited:

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    As stated above, the laminate stocks have a thin part under the bottom plate. You need to be careful when torquing down those screws. I went with the DIP metal also. I also poured some epoxy in that weak area and bedded the action. Not necessary but, wanted a little more strength.

Here is after it cured. Not going to take it out for finished look but, you can see here I was able to make it pretty thick.

f03e6ace5eaa4ef405a6de0f91b47e10.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    what makes the trigger guard "tacticool"
    I just went with a standard replacement trigger guard, it is aluminum and coated black, so it looks like a blued trigger guard, but not the stock plastic one. The 'tactical' trigger guard is shaped differently than the standard 'oval' trigger guard. It has a little more room in front of the trigger for a gloved hand. They didn't offer that when I did mine, probably wouldn't have opted for it anyway... lol

Here is a link to DIP products for the underside of the MkII

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=5627

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The one tradeoff I made when choosing the Evolution laminated stock over the tacticool style stock is that the length of the forearm on the tacticool stock is longer, puts the sling stud and bipod stud further forward, which is a bit of an advantage when shooting prone or off a bench, but I don't shoot it much prone and off a bench it shoots just as well if you have a decent rear bag to rest on.

It is only a 22.. :lol2:

If I were to get one that I didn't have a suppressor to mount to it, I would go with the BV, like my first one was. It's a little barrel heavy with a long bull barrel, but man that thing is a shooter!

That said, I have really fallen in love with the FVSR in the Boyd's stock. It just comes up perfectly when you shoulder it (the factory stock on my BV has a slightly shorter lop and a tad too short for my liking) and it just plain hits where I point it. :thumbsup:

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Well, I ended up ordering the Varmint stock with the lower metal and trigger guard for $190
    Shipped! Places the order Thursday, Sat when I got home from work it was waiting for me! DIP was great and cheaper than Boyds when it was all said and done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom