• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys. My neighbor has one, maybe I’ll try to sweet talk him in to trying his before I decide. It does sound like it is up my alley. Something I could carry if that is ever an option. Safe, powerful, extemely reliable and reasonably accurate. For $220-300 including some spare magazines and possibly swapping around some springs that doesn’t seem too bad for something that might get exercise once a year for decades.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I have both a P-64 and a Yugo M57. I have aftermarket grips on both. I swapped the stock recoil spring for a 20# Wolff on the P-64 before I got the PolishIron grip and it improved felt recoil a lot. I tried the 22# and didn't like the way it slammed the action. Get the spring kit and you'll get three springs to try out. And definitely the PolishIron grip.

I feel that my P-64 is the more acurate of the two, and you can get cheap ammo for it at Academy. That said, the P-64 is my home carry and the M57 is my "fun gun" for the range. It's the difference between a wife and a mistress, IMO. Just sayin... :innocent0

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Thanks guys. My neighbor has one, maybe I’ll try to sweet talk him in to trying his before I decide. It does sound like it is up my alley. Something I could carry if that is ever an option. Safe, powerful, extemely reliable and reasonably accurate. For $220-300 including some spare magazines and possibly swapping around some springs that doesn’t seem too bad for something that might get exercise once a year for decades.

If you have an HQL, I’d suggest opting for a Bulgarian Mak over a P64.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have both a P-64 and a Yugo M57. I have aftermarket grips on both. I swapped the stock recoil spring for a 20# Wolff on the P-64 before I got the PolishIron grip and it improved felt recoil a lot. I tried the 22# and didn't like the way it slammed the action. Get the spring kit and you'll get three springs to try out. And definitely the PolishIron grip.

I feel that my P-64 is the more acurate of the two, and you can get cheap ammo for it at Academy. That said, the P-64 is my home carry and the M57 is my "fun gun" for the range. It's the difference between a wife and a mistress, IMO. Just sayin... :innocent0

So the p64 makes you feel a sense of obligation and snaps at you every time you want to have fun? And it never lets you go play with the m57?

I am confused :lol2:

I do have an HQL, but I really want to give my C&R some justification for ownership. Preferably without breaking the bank. I mean, it doesn’t stop me from getting a Makarov/Combloc clone later, right?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I passed on buying a Nagant revolver when they were 99 bucks, because they were plentiful. I passed when they were 129, because I thought that the supply was plentiful, and I'd get one when I had some extra money.

Wrong, just wrong. I've learned that when it comes to C&R, the supply always evaporates, and if you don't get in early, you pay for delay.

I've just about convinced myself to get another P64. Maybe next week . . .

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I highly prize my P-64, especially for what it cost 4 yrs ago. Polished the feed ramp, cleaned up the internals. Great quality, makes for a outstanding BUG in an ankle holster

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    So the p64 makes you feel a sense of obligation and snaps at you every time you want to have fun? And it never lets you go play with the m57?

I am confused :lol2:

Relax! I'm fine because I don't let the P-64 know about the times with the M57 and vice versa. They're "friends;" sometimes I take them both out and egg them on to see who does better. :D

I do have an HQL, but I really want to give my C&R some justification for ownership. Preferably without breaking the bank. I mean, it doesn’t stop me from getting a Makarov/Combloc clone later, right?

I won't do an HQL. I spent too many formative years in the America of times past.
    HQL = administrative bullsh1t IMO. Fsck 'em. :mad54:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I still haven’t used my HQL. I got it because I am going to Alaska and originally the trip plan would have had back country hiking and my wife relented and said I could get a .357 or 10 auto. Some choices on the former for C&R. None on the later. So I got my HQL well in advance. Trip plan changed. All guided stuff and she doesn’t want me bringing a handgun.

So it may be a long time before I actually use my HQL to buy a handgun. It’ll probably happen some day.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I still haven’t used my HQL. I got it because I am going to Alaska and originally the trip plan would have had back country hiking and my wife relented and said I could get a .357 or 10 auto. Some choices on the former for C&R. None on the later. So I got my HQL well in advance. Trip plan changed. All guided stuff and she doesn’t want me bringing a handgun.

So it may be a long time before I actually use my HQL to buy a handgun. It’ll probably happen some day.

Sounds like you need a good divorce lawyer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sounds like you need a good divorce lawyer.

I love her, but there are days :rolleyes:

I mean, she has relented in me buying a WWII era handgun (M57. Close enough, right?)

She was raised a liberal vegan. So, relenting on ownership of guns is a long way.

Even if she is a stick in the mud a lot of times.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    M57. Yugo rattle trap = well made.

Made of cast iron; runs on coal; does exactly what it was designed for adequately; cheap.

No downside that I can see. But I'm biased. :D

I haven’t shot one, but the same Neighbor has an M57. Feels good in my hand and seems really well made. Tigger felt fairly light and breaks pretty clean. The SR1911 I’ve shot before is still my favorite handgun by a lot, but the M57 wasn’t all that far behind just playing with it.

Now I am also playing the Cz50 or P64 game. Really expensive and rare magazines along with slightly more expensive ammo, but maybe a nicer shooter and a nicer feeling tool is what I see with the Cz50.

I probably won’t be able to swing all 3 and I am dead set on an M57.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I haven’t shot one, but the same Neighbor has an M57. Feels good in my hand and seems really well made. Tigger felt fairly light and breaks pretty clean. The SR1911 I’ve shot before is still my favorite handgun by a lot, but the M57 wasn’t all that far behind just playing with it.

Now I am also playing the Cz50 or P64 game. Really expensive and rare magazines along with slightly more expensive ammo, but maybe a nicer shooter and a nicer feeling tool is what I see with the Cz50.

I probably won’t be able to swing all 3 and I am dead set on an M57.

I love my Cz50. Neat little gun, and cheap.

I might get flogged for this, but my favorite lady pistol is my Ortgies 7.65 m/m

Caseyd45

Dec 13, 2015
    P64

I have owned mine for several years. I changed out all the springs, stripped and reblued it and installed some custom grips so it would fit my big hands better. It is a great shooting gun, very accurate. SAM_2556.jpg

SAM_2557.jpg

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I just ordered another one today from SOG. You guys talking about them made me want another one.

Anybody know if they can be converted to .380 or better yet 9X19?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I do not know of any conversions for .380 or 9 x 19mm for the P-64.

FYI: Never try 9 x 19mm. They are too long and will not chamber.

9 x 18 Makarov bullets are .364" while 9mm/.380 are .355". I do know that in a pinch, you can chamber and fire .380 rounds and the P-64 will function but I would only do that in an emergency. The .380s smaller diameter will cause the bullet to tumble resulting in poor accuracy. Long term use of .380 rounds will wear the barrel prematurely.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    9mm May gives a lot more punch than a .380, so get some of that Russian Brown Bear ammo or reload it yourself. I have P64s, CZ82s, and an East German Mak. They are great guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom