• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    So all I hear is horror stories over the magazines, is this a legit worry?

They can be problematic. I have found that as long as I don't leave them loaded they seen to work fine. In the past I have ruined a few by leaving them loaded for extended periods of time. I believe the springs take a set and fail causing jams and Miss feeds.

I am actually in the market for a Ruger Precision rimfire just for this reason.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I did buy a cheek riser. Made a nice difference in getting/keeping my eye in place without spending $200 on the stock I want.

Attachments

• riser.jpg
      riser.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 188

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    That's sharp looking.

Just bolt right through the stock and pinch it on? Or did you install a chicacgo/t-nut? How did it install? Secure?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    They can be problematic. I have found that as long as I don't leave them loaded they seen to work fine. In the past I have ruined a few by leaving them loaded for extended periods of time. I believe the springs take a set and fail causing jams and Miss feeds.

I am actually in the market for a Ruger Precision rimfire just for this reason.

So you're saying that leaving mags loaded weakens the springs? But but I thought it didn't affect them and loading/unloading is what wore the springs lol.
    I'm actually researching one of the Savage 22s for target/silouhette shooting.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have an old MKII BV that has the factory laminated stock, it is a shooter for sure and my FVSR got restocked with a Boyd's stock before I even shot it. I wanted a threaded suppressed 22 and it does damn near as well as the long bull BV. :thumbsup:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    So you're saying that leaving mags loaded weakens the springs? But but I thought it didn't affect them and loading/unloading is what wore the springs lol.
    I'm actually researching one of the Savage 22s for target/silouhette shooting.

I number all my magazines. Number 3 was left loaded for several months last year. (Groundhog season) It is the only magazine of the six I have that has ever given me a problem.

It's no fun when you grab a rifle because an elusive groundhog has finally shown itself and the rifle jams. Checked everything out and found I could only repeat the jam with that magazine.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I number all my magazines. Number 3 was left loaded for several months last year. (Groundhog season) It is the only magazine of the six I have that has ever given me a problem.

It's no fun when you grab a rifle because an elusive groundhog has finally shown itself and the rifle jams. Checked everything out and found I could only repeat the jam with that magazine.

Good info:thumbsup: Yes, no fun when the elusive, little, destructive beasts show up and the rifle jams.
    Although there are a plethora of articles etc on loaded vs unloaded magazines, I have always compared leaving magazines load to a truck with a load left on it...the springs set and weaken on a truck, so why wouldn't they in a magazine? The time I worked at MD DOC, our Transportation Corp officers would load their magazines every morning before leaving and unload them every evening upon return to the institution, 5 days a week, and I do not know of one time any of the magazines failed when used at the range.
    Now back to the 22 lol. I really want one.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Bringing my new purchase home as we speak! Ended up scoring a hell of a deal at Top Guns in Fallston. Great to talk to and made an easy sale!

For those asking, I ended up with. a pre-owned rifle that looked NEW. I saved 70 over the damn good deal I had on a new one. I had been very interested in the Savage, but loved the Ruger after holding them both. I was gonna hold out for the long (but sold out) 20" plus Ruger, as I didnt have to replace the stock. But... the Savage would have been amazing, I just hate the stock. With what I saved, I can afford a gorgeous Boyds rifle stock.

Last edited:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Have you tried the CCI 22 Quiet? I bought some for my kids to shoot and they make a 22 without a suppresor sound like a pellet gun. I killed two groundhogs at around 25 yards with them.
    I run Quiets in my FVSR and std velocity CCI's in my suppressed 15-22. I have no problem killing critters with either. The Savage shoots a ragged one hole group at 25yds with Quiets.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Have you tried the CCI 22 Quiet? I bought some for my kids to shoot and they make a 22 without a suppresor sound like a pellet gun. I killed two groundhogs at around 25 yards with them.

I have. They shoot 3 to 4 inches low compared to the CCI SV ammo I normally use. I honestry wasn't impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom