• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As to stated question, any of the above that is reliable for your specific rifle . I have a Universal ( favorable pricing at the time, and a parts gun of all GI parts.

Expanding ammo much more ( whatever terminology) than fmj .

Yeah, the ctg was developed as a rifle round. But it was quickly adopted for revolver use, and is a dandy pistol ctg . Equivalent to top end handloads in a .32-20 .

If you want a .30Carb on purpose , knock your socks off .

Currently same or lower pricepoint a plethora of .223 and "pistol" cal options, AR's , 9mm carbs, levers . Variety of appearences from tacti-bling to low profiie. Variety of power levels available.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How so ? I get handloading in general , but factory ammo is already reasonably close to full power, you're not going to get meaningful increases in velocity. Soft point and jhp already offered from major brands of ammo.

Now if you meant handloading for Revolvers, or T/C Contenders , then absolutely do interesting things with handloading . Actual M1 Carbines, not so much .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The M1 Carbine round falls right in line with the popular handgun magnum cartridges. Same pressure range, case length, straight walled, slightly less but similar sectional density, and same powder burn rates. As a matter of fact, H110 was developed for the M1 Carbine round.
    I haven’t handloaded for it. If the loading genre responds as its bigger magnum cousins, a little more bullet weight should give improved performance. BUT it is still a 30 caliber low expansion ratio cartridge.
    If one accepts it for what it is, and it meets the power needs, its fun. I never realized how small the M1 Carbine was until I bought an SKS and placed it next to the Carbine. It truly was a substitute for a handgun. Its intended use is what made it popular as a milsurp - a small, short, light close-in tool. With lots of surplus inexpensive ammo.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The M1 Carbine round falls right in line with the popular handgun magnum cartridges. Same pressure range, case length, straight walled, slightly less but similar sectional density, and same powder burn rates. As a matter of fact, H110 was developed for the M1 Carbine round.
    I haven’t handloaded for it. If the loading genre responds as its bigger magnum cousins, a little more bullet weight should give improved performance. BUT it is still a 30 caliber low expansion ratio cartridge.
    If one accepts it for what it is, and it meets the power needs, its fun. I never realized how small the M1 Carbine was until I bought an SKS and placed it next to the Carbine. It truly was a substitute for a handgun. Its intended use is what made it popular as a milsurp - a small, short, light close-in tool. With lots of surplus inexpensive ammo.

Where is this inexpensive ammo found?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Surplus is pretty much gone, but several mfg have mil type ammo, notably Wolf and Aguilla .

Actual M1 Carbines are pretty much tied into the bullet shape , and 100-110gr weight. Revolvers have more flexibility as to shape, but not usually see much heavier than 120gr . Contenders have a faster twist, and no OAL issues , and at one point had a degree of vogue with 150-ish gr spitzers .

In the powder trivia , later era US Mil ammo used a slightly faster version of H110, known as H108 . It used to be periodically available as a surplus powder . But the ammo and component panic a few years ago seems to have wiped out the available stocks of it , as well as most other surplus powders.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Growing up on WWII movies, a M1 Carbine is a go to weapon. I agree mini14s and ars are cheaper and more available. Their ammo is readily available. 0.30cal is harder to find and therefore more expensive. But if you like it, go with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indeed if you think compact, light weight , traditional stocked, medium powered semiauto Carbine , the M1 Carbine is Iconic . Arguably not the first to fit that description, but by far the most popular, and literally Iconic .

FWIW , Shooting/ Hunting Partner #2's Daughter has an M1 Carbine look alike in 9mm , and she ( and Dad ) are well pleased with it . Off the top of my head , I want to say Chiappa , but I'd have to check to say for sure .

Major03

Ultimate Member
    How so ? I get handloading in general , but factory ammo is already reasonably close to full power, you're not going to get meaningful increases in velocity. Soft point and jhp already offered from major brands of ammo.

Now if you meant handloading for Revolvers, or T/C Contenders , then absolutely do interesting things with handloading . Actual M1 Carbines, not so much .

Mainly I was thinking that you can create loads with several different bullet types.

Agree you can find factory ammo with soft point or jhp, but not usually in stock at Dick's (not that I'd go there now anyway) or Walmart or even Bass Pro. With the internet, probably not a big deal.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

”Its intended use is what made it popular as a milsurp - a small, short, light close-in tool. With lots of surplus ammo inexpensive ammo.”

The observation and statement is past tense. Its obvious the ammo sources are neither as plentiful nor as inexpensive relative to inflation. I can’t imagine how the present tense was interpreted.

Thank you for the trivia on the Carbine powder and the load info, Bigfoot44. Contenders are a phenomenon unto themselves. Those are interesting load tidbits.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FWIW , Shooting/ Hunting Partner #2's Daughter has an M1 Carbine look alike in 9mm , and she ( and Dad ) are well pleased with it . Off the top of my head , I want to say Chiappa , but I'd have to check to say for sure .

I have heard very bad things about Chiappa firearms.

But would be interested in their experience.

I LOVE the M1 Carbine.

I have a GI one now. I have, from a LONG time ago, the Crossman M1 Carbine BB gun. I am picking up a Marlin 99M1 (Marlin 60 in M1 Carbine form) from Hog Sniper.

I would love to add the Chiappa 9MM and .22 versions.

And I consider the Mini 14 and 10/22 to be carbinish. :D

ANd I just found that there is a Ruger factory M1 Carbine like rifle, available through Talo Distributors.

And EABCO makes an M1 Carbine stock for the 10/22.

Looks like I need another 10/22. :D

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

”Its intended use is what made it popular as a milsurp - a small, short, light close-in tool. With lots of surplus ammo inexpensive ammo.”

The observation and statement is past tense. Its obvious the ammo sources are neither as plentiful nor as inexpensive relative to inflation. I can’t imagine how the present tense was interpreted.

Thank you for the trivia on the Carbine powder and the load info, Bigfoot44. Contenders are a phenomenon unto themselves. Those are interesting load tidbits.

Spitting the idea into 2 sentences made it appear that ammo might still be found inexpesively. Sorry I misread what you meant to say.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    "If" you look around you can still find USGI (BlueSky) imported carbines in the $600 range. Yes, some need barrels because of over cleaning.

Good luck!

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    buellsfurn: I have viewed the products from Fulton Armory online and they appear to be very good products. However, I am opting to buy a new model from Springfield Armory M1a SCCOM 16 in 7.62x51mm. Being a new platform, I expect it to work when needed.

John

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    From what I have read is that wolf and aguilla are lower powered. 1850-1900FPS actual velocity. Felt recoil seems to back that up. Armscor too.

S&B, Magtech, PPU and Hornady all appear to be full power 1950-2000FPS.

I think it is interesting for reloading as typical FMJ seems to run $20-22 per box of 50 on the low end. I don’t recall what I had figured on reloading cost, but I think it was around $11-12 per 50

I’d go USGI. The price is about the same as a reproduction. Now a mint USGI would run a lot more, but a basic knock around one seems to run $900-1200. Mine runs like a champ. Some magazine related issues, but it is linked to the magazine. The two new mags I have (I have 2 USGI 15 round mags, 1 old Korean mag and a pair of old Korean 10 round mags), aKCI 15 and 30 round both function flawlessly. The old mags (at least 30-60 years old) the two bad ones will give me a couple of F2F on a mag with wolf and maybe 1 per mag with brass cased. The better old mags are maybe 1 in 2-3 mags of a failure to feed. Those new KCI mags I have yet to have a failure, though I’ve only maybe put 2 full mag dumps on the 30 and 3-4 on the 15 round.

The carbine is just such a fun rifle. Nice and light. Recoil is about the same as an AR-15, less for the same weight. But figure 5.5lbs for the M1 carbine vs 7 for your typical AR-15 and it ends up about the same. The carbine is a lot quieter though. Not 22 quiet, but a very noticeable difference.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    buellsfurn: I have viewed the products from Fulton Armory online and they appear to be very good products. However, I am opting to buy a new model from Springfield Armory M1a SCCOM 16 in 7.62x51mm. Being a new platform, I expect it to work when needed.

John

For posession and ownership out of state? M1a is anenumerated banned firearm in Maryland, much to my never ending dismay.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    The M-1 carbine is a lot of fun to shoot. Accuracy won't come close to the Garand, BUT having a match with a bunch of carbines is a hoot.

This is one of the calibers where you can reload to save $$$. It does not like to be under, or over loaded, but the cases last a long time with the mil spec load (My load is 15 grains H110 or W296 under a 110 FMJ). Make sure your OAL is within spec!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have heard very bad things about Chiappa firearms.

But would be interested in their experience.

I LOVE the M1 Carbine.

I have a GI one now. I have, from a LONG time ago, the Crossman M1 Carbine BB gun. I am picking up a Marlin 99M1 (Marlin 60 in M1 Carbine form) from Hog Sniper.

I would love to add the Chiappa 9MM and .22 versions.

And I consider the Mini 14 and 10/22 to be carbinish. :D

ANd I just found that there is a Ruger factory M1 Carbine like rifle, available through Talo Distributors.

And EABCO makes an M1 Carbine stock for the 10/22.

Looks like I need another 10/22. :D

Sounds like you need to hunt down one of those Ruger .44 magnum carbines from the 60s. Predecessor to the 10/22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom