• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have never owned a PTR, but the Century CETME I owned was less than impressive. Mostly, it ran really dirty and the cost of .308 ammo was a part of why it got sold. ANY blowback gun will be dirty and the flutes and chamber are a pain to clean with the G3 pattern of rifle. Also, headspacing roller-blowback is a bit unusual and Century did a craptastic job of making sure it was correct.

BUT, there is a lot to like about the roller-delayed blowback system. It shoots way softer than expected. The integrated rail on the PTR is a big plus over the CETME. I may need to consider one again based on the responses here.

Forgot about the flutes in the chamber. Don't plan on rescuing any brass from the PTR it chews up the case neck pretty good. I don't reload for 7.62X39 anyway but some people police their brass. Not having a bolt hold open is a minus for the PTR, but it takes AK mags and the charging handle is cool. The pic rail and HK sights are a plus too. They make a collapsible stock for the PTR which looks really good and keeps it over 29" overall.

Does the VZ58 have a bolt hold open? I know the AK does not.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    As far as the PTR is concerned, since it based off HK and uses some HK parts I'm guessing parts are readily available if need be? I know probably not easy as ar platforms parts, but still simple to get ahold of? I apologize for so many questions but if I'm going to spend around a grand on something I don't want to go in uninformed.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Yes. Some AKs do too (yugo?)

1318177_03_yugo_milled_ak_underfolder_par_640.jpg

Kinda, the M64 did have a bolt hold open, see the unusual hole? From memory I believe that the system didn't work quite as well as planned or was scrapped as a cost saving measure on the M70. But yeah, thats where all those yugo bolt hold open mags come from.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    1318177_03_yugo_milled_ak_underfolder_par_640.jpg

Kinda, the M64 did have a bolt hold open, see the unusual hole? From memory I believe that the system didn't work quite as well as planned or was scrapped as a cost saving measure on the M70. But yeah, thats where all those yugo bolt hold open mags come from.

So it's just a magazine bolt hold open? I bought some upgraded followers for some Tapco mags that have the bolt hold open feature. They work ok but the bolt closes when the mag is removed. I was asking about a true bolt hold open like on an AR. Is that what the M64 had?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Yes, it did have a true bolt hold open like the AR system, the big hole in the side of the milled receiver was for the bho system

ziptiespec

As far as the PTR is concerned, since it based off HK and uses some HK parts I'm guessing parts are readily available if need be? I know probably not easy as ar platforms parts, but still simple to get ahold of? I apologize for so many questions but if I'm going to spend around a grand on something I don't want to go in uninformed.

For replacement/wear parts, which would really just be the rollers (after more rounds than you're likely to go through), there are replacements and they're cheap: https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Bolt-Assembly-c28.htm Robert RTG has most of the parts that you'd ever need for replacement, or even for building a complete rifle. Another source of parts is HKparts.net

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    As far as the PTR is concerned, since it based off HK and uses some HK parts I'm guessing parts are readily available if need be
    The PTR32 is mostly a PTR91(7.62x51). It is a 91 sized receiver w/ a different magwell (actually a welded insert), a x39 chambered barrel, and a different locking pc. I believe everything else is standard. While I haven't mic'ed mine to compare, I bet they used a complete 91 bolt for the 32 version as its only 0.65mm smaller rim diameter. Rim depth is almost identical too between x51 and x39 (0.2mm smaller). Not enough of a difference to make custom parts.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Not really familiar with the VEPR, But I own a PTR (91) and a couple VZs. I would recommend both, my preference of the two would be the VZ though. Very light and easy to handle/manipulate. I just ordered a PTR-32 and the fit and finish is really nice as expected, it's on the heavy side though. Mags are a bit tricky to remove from my limited experience but still it's a nice gun. I should have pics of the PTR (32) soon. But for now I will leave these here. :D

CSA VZ58 SBR
    by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

IMG_6958

PTR-91 G3K Clone Build

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Man, that ptr91 pic isn't making me want the ptr32 any less. That is a sweet gun. Nothing agaiknst the vz58, but I'm in the beaver barf or bust camp when it comes to the furniture for those. Common sense wise I know I should probably do an AR pattern for ease of parts etc but ehhh

ziptiespec

http://stores.csspecs.com

These guys have the best VEPR 7.62x54r mags in the business. They are 10 round mags so they are md legal.

Be sure to read http://stores.csspecs.com/vepr-54r-bolt-issues/

Luckily mine has the chamfered bolt.

Man, that ptr91 pic isn't making me want the ptr32 any less. That is a sweet gun. Nothing agaiknst the vz58, but I'm in the beaver barf or bust camp when it comes to the furniture for those. Common sense wise I know I should probably do an AR pattern for ease of parts etc but ehhh

The PTRs also look great with wood:

v0ZajFm.jpg

AULINBP.jpg

The wood is the entire reason why I ended up with my 32. I found someone selling it on https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunsforsale/ with the wood furniture, the original polymer furniture, some magazines, the case, etc. I was only interested in buying the wood furniture for my 91 and the seller was amenable to selling the wood alone. However, after some back and forth we got to a good price for everything.

I did end up finding a wood handguard for my 91. Now I just need a wood stock :)

w9AbJLe.jpg

ne024Kc.jpg

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I have the copies of what you are considering. Vz2800 and the CAI CETME Sporter. They are two totally different rifles, though. The vz shoots a lower power, inexpensive, intermediate rd and the cetme a bigger, more expensive rd, with ok accuracy for a “ battle rifle” assembled from parts. The brass in the latter gets crushed and can injure someone at 25’. The vz is incredibly fun to shoot. If I had to reconsider one or the other, i’d still get both, but ifmyou have a garand or an M1A, i would consider the vz over the PTR, which i have read is ammo sensitive...and commercially loaded .308 can be costly., while the vz spits out surplus with no issue. One more thing i forgot to mention. Before the FSAA of 2013 i bought a dozen german mags...aluminum...that fit the cetme sporter nicely for $2 each. These mags are still pleantiful and only a bit more expensive.

Last edited:

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    The PTR32 is, but the PTR 91 is not according to the list. As everyone knows, semi auto .308 is deadly in all platforms except AR10s. 762x39 is only lethal in ak variants. Hence you can own the 32.

Sirex