• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    So, I am looking at getting a few 9mm AR lowers and was wondering about mag type???

I have a few done years ago with modified Uzi mags but which current model is the best for all around use.

I don't own a Glock and not really looking for this option. Any others?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Colt or Glock, it's a personal preference. I only use the Colt pattern, but I know folks who have the Glock pattern and they are very happy with them.

Good Luck!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    At this point in time, I would go with the CMMG Guard. It is delayed blowback. If you are gonna suppress it, this thing is the cat’s meow. Even if you don’t suppress, there is much less reciprocating mass.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Attachments

• 0a.jpg
      0a.jpg
      14.8 KB · Views: 411

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I agree. They are just a pain in the ass to load.

If it helps: Look for the ones with the plastic followers, not the steel. The steel follower mags have much stronger springs, they are meant for the machine guns. But Colt still ships them with 6951's if that's what they have on hand.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That’s interesting...

Out of curiosity, are there specific reason(s) that the Colt mags perform better than the Glock mags?

Colt Mags are double stack and feed straight up. They feed faster.

Glock Mags are double stacked and angled so they have slower feed rates.

The Bolt Hold Open for Glock Mags is also less reliable.

Glock Mags are made for a Browning Tilt/Barrel Design, not the speed of a Blowback AR Bolt. Im not saying one cant tweak a 9mm AR to work reliably with Glock Mags, it just takes more work.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Very interesting to know about the mags. I'm looking to build or buy a 9mm AR and was looking at Glock mag ones only. Part of the reason is because I have a Glock 17, so mags are interchangeable. Now if someone could point me in the direction of a reasonable priced 9mm AR or a complete kit and/or parts kit...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Colt and MP5 mags here. For loading Colt mags I use a Maglula LULA Colt 9 SMG loader.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Very interesting to know about the mags. I'm looking to build or buy a 9mm AR and was looking at Glock mag ones only. Part of the reason is because I have a Glock 17, so mags are interchangeable. Now if someone could point me in the direction of a reasonable priced 9mm AR or a complete kit and/or parts kit...

I really like my Diamond Back 9mm AR, I got it for $750. It takes Glock mags and has run flawlessly. Bolt hold open works every time. I did have some feeding issues at first with a rough chamber, a little polishing with a dremel fixed that. I put an echo trigger in it and it's even more fun to shoot. It will dump a 33rd mag in under 3 seconds.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Check out the CMMG offerning. They make a radial delayed blowback AR and you can buy the BCG/barrel for about $400.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a CMMG that I got recently - complete rifle. Only been to the range once, but but ate up 150 rounds by 3 different manufacturers, and kept everything in a 2" circle at 25 yards. No troubles at all. Bought one ASC 10 round mag to try, and it worked flawlessly. They are fun to shoot !

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a CMMG that I got recently - complete rifle. Only been to the range once, but but ate up 150 rounds by 3 different manufacturers, and kept everything in a 2" circle at 25 yards. No troubles at all. Bought one ASC 10 round mag to try, and it worked flawlessly. They are fun to shoot !

I have yet to shoot mine. I have a Colt pattern. Heavy buffer/.308 spring. Lots of reciprocating mass. How would you compare shooting it to a direct blowback?

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the 9mm insert from PSA but I don't think they sell them any longer. I had to drill and tap the front of the mag well and put a set screw in to hold the insert in place. It has worked great for many trips to the range. The upper is also a PSA product as well as a heavy buffer. Come to think of it so are two of the magazines. I'm really happy with this set-up. Wish I could find another one of those inserts to have as a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom