• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Looks like it says "38 S&W (likely) Special", but it does look loaded.

On second thought it could be saying SP or super police. light is hitting the barrel just wrong.

Last edited:

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Very cool.

Just the sheer volume of history in collections like this, as well as the sentimental value, renders them priceless.

The pistols, holsters, badges, and ammo would make a great display piece in an oil rubbed walnut display with red velvet backing and some select news clippings :D

My great grandfather was a constable in PA during prohibition, and carried a S&W 1903 in 32 long.

On a side note, depending on your home situation and familiarity with firearms, may want to consider unloading that snubby.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It would either say " .38 S&W Ctg" or .38 S&W Special Ctg ". S&W never marked their guns with "Super Police" , which was strictly an ammo designation.

For the OP - Push Forewards on the rectangular grooved thing on left side of revolver. Simultaneously push the cylinder( big round thing, with ammunition inside) from right to left, and it will swing open. You may then remove the ammunition.

Added - Any number of our members are located in or convienent to Baltimore area . Plenty would be glad to assist with that, as well as offer some basic familarization , and handling pointers .

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I am too afraid to unload it. I have a friend coming over in a few weeks who is familiar with guns. I will have him unload it. I didn't even realize it was loaded! They are always kept locked...

Very cool.

Just the sheer volume of history in collections like this, as well as the sentimental value, renders them priceless.

The pistols, holsters, badges, and ammo would make a great display piece in an oil rubbed walnut display with red velvet backing and some select news clippings :D

My great grandfather was a constable in PA during prohibition, and carried a S&W 1903 in 32 long.

On a side note, depending on your home situation and familiarity with firearms, may want to consider unloading that snubby.

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Pictures of holder

Here are the other pictures of the holsters...

Quick , someone with a full computer monitor read the calibre marking on that S&W !
    Wheather a Terrier or Chief Spl , a very early one of either with 3 digit s/n is way valuable.

Added - If Terrier in .38 S&W , would be 1936
    If Chief Spl in ..38 S&W Special , would be 1950

Added Again - Could you also show front of holsters, and close-up of the markings on the back of holsters.

Attachments

• Holder 2.jpg
      Holder 2.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 137
    • holder 3.jpg
      holder 3.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 136
    • holder 4.jpg
      holder 4.jpg
      88.7 KB · Views: 150

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    description

This is the description from my great grandfather's notebook...I am not sure if this helps...I have not been able to find out what 'Woodsman' means anywhere, I wonder if he miss wrote it...

Quick , someone with a full computer monitor read the calibre marking on that S&W !
    Wheather a Terrier or Chief Spl , a very early one of either with 3 digit s/n is way valuable.

Added - If Terrier in .38 S&W , would be 1936
    If Chief Spl in ..38 S&W Special , would be 1950

Added Again - Could you also show front of holsters, and close-up of the markings on the back of holsters.

Attachments

• description 1.jpg
      description 1.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    To me, "Woodsman" refers to the Colt Woodsman, a .22 caliber pistol.
    You do not have a Colt Woodsman, so the note is a mystery.

No need to be afraid of the guns. Just respectful. They absolutely won't go off without a long, deliberate trigger pull.

Remember the Four Rules I posted in one of your threads, along with unloading instructions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Colt Woodsman .

A .22lr pistol mfg from 1915-1977 . Iconic pistol used for target shooting, small game hunting , and plinking ( informal target shooting, often involving tin cans ) . For first half of 20th Century, was THE. .22lr semiauto pistol, which defined the whole Genre of .22lr target and field pistols .

( Yes, Hi Standard started competing with them circa 1932, but the Woodsman still invented the genre , and dominated the catagory until the early 1960s . The current Browning BuckMark is heavily influenced by the Woodsman .)

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you! I looked everywhere for this information and I could not find it!

Colt Woodsman .

A .22lr pistol mfg from 1915-1977 . Iconic pistol used for target shooting, small game hunting , and plinking ( informal target shooting, often involving tin cans ) . For first half of 20th Century, was THE. .22lr semiauto pistol, which defined the whole Genre of .22lr target and field pistols .

( Yes, Hi Standard started competing with them circa 1932, but the Woodsman still invented the genre , and dominated the catagory until the early 1960s . The current Browning BuckMark is heavily influenced by the Woodsman .)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I just unloaded it, thank you!

Good show. You see? Easy.

Now remember, Rule One is still true:

"All guns are always loaded."

If you ever look at a gun and wonder if it's loaded, the answer is, "Yes, all guns are always loaded."

If someone asks, "Is it loaded?" The answer is, "Yes, all guns are always loaded."

Gun accidents are way, way down over the past few decades. People are much safer with guns than in the good old days.

I think that's largely because of the Four Rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom