• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    Research how many .25-20 were made for that model. I don't recall which model Winchester it was but I think one of them .25-20 brings a premium.

I believe it was in fact this model, the 1892.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Rub (no steel or brass wool) with light oil like Rem, Hoppes or CLP for the rest.

Once you know a little more you can contemplate working the wood with raw linseed oil (not boiled, BLO is fine for some applications but you want something that is gentler. ).

I strongly recommend against doing any of that. Big-dollar collectors want to see a virgin gun, as it was found. They will pay a premium for that condition, often only for that condition. You might be out $$$ just for applying oil to the furniture. The most I would do is gently wipe it with a well-loved and lightly-oiled gun rag, even then being *very* careful. We're talking about a highly sought-after antique here. OP, you might be shocked what it fetches at the upcoming antique arms show if you do nothing other than lightly oil the bore with some swabs. Many comparables being sold online as "excellent" are often modified and tend to be heavily overcleaned. Yours isn't.

No offense to you, Jimbob. I'd just hate to see the guy screw himself.

ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    I strongly recommend against doing any of that. Big-dollar collectors want to see a virgin gun, as it was found. They will pay a premium for that condition, often only for that condition. You might be out $$$ just for applying oil to the furniture. The most I would do is gently wipe it with a well-loved and lightly-oiled gun rag, even then being *very* careful. We're talking about a highly sought-after antique here. OP, you might be shocked what it fetches at the upcoming antique arms show if you do nothing other than lightly oil the bore with some swabs. Many comparables being sold online as "excellent" are often modified and tend to be heavily overcleaned. Yours isn't.

Well, I haven't even rubbed it down with gun oil. I've watched enough Antiques Roadshow with the wife. I think all I'm going to do at present is clean the bore, and keep the dust off of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Depends on year of manufacture you maybe able to obtain a 'Winchester' letter from the Cody firearms museum in Wyoming. Check their website for details. May have some information where the gun was first sent. Costs a few bucks but worth the price.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

No offense taken, we all have our opinions and have worked with vintage guns in different ways to address different markets. This is one of the reasons I still use Hoppes "gun and reel oil" (not No 9 solvent) it is mild loosens up dinge stuff (basically grime) while not harming the "patina". If you are not goin to wipe it down I wouldn't even mess with the bore. Its a simple pitch its either "barn find" untouched or conserved. Note my earlier comment on not touching the furniture until the OP knows more.

Winchesters are a very specialized market. If you have any doubts seek a professional opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom