• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Just a question on this case.

is this going to decide the case on the events of the day?

or, as noted in the schedule up a few posts, merely determine if the case should have / be dismissed due to qualified immunity? and only that part?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Rereading this thread made me join, donate and donate to the litigation fund. Great people doing great things to defend our rights. Man I miss Jeff. It’s been a long road and if I can I’ll be there for the finale. Good work guys!

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019

Rereading this thread made me join, donate and donate to the litigation fund. Great people doing great things to defend our rights. Man I miss Jeff. It’s been a long road and if I can I’ll be there for the finale. Good work guys!

Just a question on this case.

is this going to decide the case on the events of the day?

or, as noted in the schedule up a few posts, merely determine if the case should have / be dismissed due to qualified immunity? and only that part?

Thanks to all for your interest, your generous MSI litigation financial support and remembrance of Jeff, and your question about what will be decided as a result of the oral argument on May 3rd.

Briefly, what will be only ruled upon are limited issues identified by the pending interlocutory appeal:

“An interlocutory appeal, also known as an interim appeal, is one that is permitted at an intermediate stage of a case, either before a trial is commenced or a final resolution is reached. Interlocutory appeals are allowed by the Federal Rules of civil procedure only in specific circumstances, such as in this case, when there has been a denial of qualified immunity in the Court below.”

The MD Attorney General’s Office (representing Sgt. Pope) is appealing legal rulings made by the judge in the District Court.

The MD OAG is arguing these District Court rulings constitute error, and Sgt. Pope 1.) is shielded from suit by qualified immunity, and 2.) there wasn’t a “clearly established” First Amendment right to video and audio record Pope and the other MCP and Annapolis City PD officers before and/or during the arrest.

(The second issue of what constitutes a “clearly established right” is peculiar to the doctrine of qualified immunity.)

Thus the Fourth Circuit has framed the “questions” to be addressed at this oral argument as follows:

Whether district court erroneously denied qualified immunity for arrests outside state legislature; whether First Amendment right to record the police was clearly established.

The other claims made in our lawsuit arising from our arrest will not be litigated unless and until there is a civil trial in the District court.

Pope’s appeal brief is here:

We filed a motion to dismiss Pope’s appeal, here:

We also filed a response brief to Pope’s appeal, here:

To read all the filings made to the Fourth Circuit for this appeal, go to the bottom of our MSI legal page here:

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    DL, thanks for the clarification ! Us people that are not lawyers find explanation of such things helpful

Thanks to all for your interest, your generous MSI litigation financial support and remembrance of Jeff, and your question about what will be decided as a result of the oral argument on May 3rd.

Briefly, what will be only ruled upon are limited issues identified by the pending interlocutory appeal:

“An interlocutory appeal, also known as an interim appeal, is one that is permitted at an intermediate stage of a case, either before a trial is commenced or a final resolution is reached. Interlocutory appeals are allowed by the Federal Rules of civil procedure only in specific circumstances, such as in this case, when there has been a denial of qualified immunity in the Court below.”

The MD Attorney General’s Office (representing Sgt. Pope) is appealing legal rulings made by the judge in the District Court.

The MD OAG is arguing these District Court rulings constitute error, and Sgt. Pope 1.) is shielded from suit by qualified immunity, and 2.) there wasn’t a “clearly established” First Amendment right to video and audio record Pope and the other MCP and Annapolis City PD officers before and/or during the arrest.

(The second issue of what constitutes a “clearly established right” is peculiar to the doctrine of qualified immunity.)

Thus the Fourth Circuit has framed the “questions” to be addressed at this oral argument as follows:

Whether district court erroneously denied qualified immunity for arrests outside state legislature; whether First Amendment right to record the police was clearly established.

The other claims made in our lawsuit arising from our arrest will not be litigated unless and until there is a civil trial in the District court.

Pope’s appeal brief is here:

We filed a motion to dismiss Pope’s appeal, here:

We also filed a response brief to Pope’s appeal, here:

To read all the filings made to the Fourth Circuit for this appeal, go to the bottom of our MSI legal page here:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    I have received two notices of recent docket activity in our lawsuit, currently pending on appeal to the Fourth Circuit.

1.) Sgt. Pope’s attorney sent a “letter of supplemental authority” yesterday to the Clerk of the Court to bring to the Court’s attention a ruling handed down last month by the Fourth Circuit; the State regards this ruling as persuasive in our case:

285B4FA0-A468-4ED7-98A2-89BB4510CFE3.jpeg
    F058C4BB-88C4-4CCA-B527-DC7E0AE9A8C9.jpeg

It is significant to note that the MD AG explicitly asserts in the letter above that the Courts “create rights.”

Also note that both Frosh and now Brown, while serving as MD AG, have strenuously argued against the exercise of your First Amendment rights in Maryland, as the court record in our own case continues to demonstrate.

2.) Our oral argument is still scheduled for early next month on Wednesday, 3 May 2023, but the Clerk has notified us that the start time for our argument session has been moved up 30 minutes, and will now commence at 9:00 AM.

If you are attending the oral argument in person, the recommended check-in time at the Courthouse to pass through the airport-level security with your state-issued photo ID has also been moved up, to 8:15 - 8:30 AM; no phones are allowed in the Courthouse.

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Am I reading that correctly that the because the person filming was the person being arrested, that there is no right to film/record? Is that exactly what happened with the motorcyclist many years ago (on the BW Parkway I think) when the cop argued the guy recorded him without permission and the cop's argument was tossed?

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Am I reading that correctly that the because the person filming was the person being arrested, that there is no right to film/record? Is that exactly what happened with the motorcyclist many years ago (on the BW Parkway I think) when the cop argued the guy recorded him without permission and the cop's argument was tossed?

This is where the MD AG is comically wrong, as usual, and is apparently intentionally introducing error into our court record: Sharpe in the Winterville case was NOT arrested, nor was he “recording and broadcasting” as the MD AG’s letter above asserts.

Sharpe instead was only prevented from livestreaming after the Winterville Police attempted to grab his phone during a traffic stop, and never arrested.

Sharpe was livestreaming on FB, which is a different technology than video “recording and broadcasting” - - which is what I did with my own camera phone: video recording.

I never live-streamed during the 2/5/18 arrest, but an edited version of my video recording was broadcast on YouTube in the hours after our arrest:

Here is more about the Sharpe v. Winterville PD case before the appeal to the Fourth Circuit:

Article describing the Fourth Circuit ruling:

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Actually, this encounter was being filmed by one of the two brothers arrested, as well as others on the PP group.

Pope's lawyers are grasping at straws, hoping to influence a sympathetic judge.

As for civil rights in Maryland, they're doled out to the favored, and suppressed for the rest, to the fullest extent of the MD AG's office. Best not to get uppity with The Man unless he owes you for campaign contributions or the like.

It's a pity that the former Lt Gov Rutherofrd isn't being sued; he was the one who didn't want to be troubled by peasants seeking redress of grievances. As you know, turds roll downhill, and that's what knocked Sgt Pope under the bus. Lt Gov turds ain't nothing to play with; they be some potent sh!t.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Filming in public in general, and filming the police specifically has been upheld by several circuits. Should be fun!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You are not reading that correctly.

What the attorney is saying is that there was no clearly established precedent regarding a subject of an arrest recording the incident, so Pope would not have known that he was violating anybody's First Amendment Right, and therefore Pope is entitled to Qualified Immunity.

Thing is, Pope wasn't arresting either of the brothers for filming, but for not following an order to move off the sidewalk. The Plaintiffs in this case shouldn't have a hard time distinguishing the case cited in the letter from the current case before the court. Two completely different things.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Ah, thanks. Well, for "not knowing he was violating someone's rights", I would offer to Sgt. Pope "ignorance of the law is not an excuse." ;)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

What the attorney is saying is that there was no clearly established precedent regarding a subject of an arrest recording the incident, so Pope would not have known that he was violating anybody's First Amendment Right, and therefore Pope is entitled to Qualified Immunity.

Thing is, Pope wasn't arresting either of the brothers for filming, but for not following an order to move off the sidewalk. The Plaintiffs in this case shouldn't have a hard time distinguishing the case cited in the letter from the current case before the court. Two completely different things.
    I suspect that Pope's lawyers are not so stupid as to miss the essence of the situation; they're really tossing legal chum to give the court something to chew on in Pope's favor, if it is so inclined.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I suspect that Pope's lawyers are not so stupid as to miss the essence of the situation; they're really tossing legal chum to give the court something to chew on in Pope's favor, if it is so inclined.
    I agree. Distraction is the stock in trade for Liberals. Remember "LOOK! A BABY!"?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Exactly. I have said this over and over.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Cary Hansel has something to say about this as well

Thanks GTOGUNNER!

Posting images here from your PDF of the 2-page reply by Hulbert/MSI counsel Cary Hansel to Pope’s letter of supplemental authority, which directs the Court’s attention to the Sharpe v. Winterville PD livestreaming case.

Our lawsuit against Pope is the “present case” Cary referred to in his reply below:

7301D510-895C-4DDC-B4FD-EF894E2C0259.jpeg
    03E3AF11-B368-40C9-BDCB-BCC018FD8A35.jpeg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks GTOGUNNER!

Posting images here from your PDF of the 2-page reply by Hulbert/MSI counsel Cary Hansel to Pope’s letter of supplemental authority, which directs the Court’s attention to the Sharpe v. Winterville PD livestreaming case.

Our lawsuit against Pope is the “present case” Cary referred to in his reply below:

View attachment 410637 View attachment 410638
    I hope Pope puckers up in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom